Which tyres Please ?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...I'm looking to change the tyres on my Woosh Sirroco CD.

I had a real bad time yesterday when I rode through an area just had the hedgerows cut. Finished up repairing 8 punctures in both wheels, then I couldn't pump the tyres up.
...10 miles from home, ...I had to leave my bike, catch 2 buses and go for my van.
...I suppose not having had a puncture for two years had made me complacent.
....I couldn't even make my spare tube fit the valve was only 3cm compared to the 4.5cm on the Woosh

The current tyres are Kenda 2.1 XC K1047.

I can live with the odd puncture but yesterday was a nightmare so looking to fit better tyres....any suggestions which tyres to fit please.
In the past I've used Schwalbe Marathon Plus...any better suggestions.

....many thanks....Mike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've heard of a few problems with the Kenda tyres supplied on Woosh bikes, so I don' think they are the bike's strongest point.

Having said that, the sidewalls are a weak point on any tyre and hedge clippings have a habit of jumping up and nipping the sidewall.

I think you've answered your own question - Schwalbe Marathon Plus appear the best for puncture resistance.

Some riders complain about the weight, but that's not such a concern on an ebike.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Tubeless, not entirely sure how they seal the spoke holes.

Buy Ultremo Tubeless

[video=youtube;t8dS4nQ_yW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t8dS4nQ_yW4[/video]

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Tubeless, not entirely sure how they seal the spoke holes.

Buy Ultremo Tubeless

video
Tubeless rims are pricey and would mean rebuilding wheels and things.

Essentially the same stuff as they do in your video after 2:15 and what allows him to stab the wheel/tube.

[video=youtube;zxA8rgavySI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxA8rgavySI[/video]

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
schwalbe marathon plus or specialized crossroads armadillo if you want a hybrid puncture resistant tyre.

I'd reccomend the schwalbe, slightly heavier but a better ride than the specialized - but pretty similar as things go.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers everyone...I'm thinking I will go with the Schwalbe MPs...of there's nothing better.

..Thanks.....Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are the best all-round bet. Prior to using them I used to suffer many punctures, but in six years I've only had one slow puncture on any bike fitted with them. And that was slow enough for me to ride home with just one re-pump.

During that same time my trailer which hasn't MP protection has had more punctures than I could keep count of, illustrating how many punctures the MP's have prevented.

Slime and tyre liners in four different forms that I've tried on the trailer have all been useless.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I do have another option. Continental travel contacts - they are much faster and gripper in the the wet and on cornering IMHO. They are not quite as bulletproof as marathons but I have never had a puncture on either with daily commutes and at least 4000miles under he belt on both

For me the performance gain is significant with conti's

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with Kirstin that the MPs are not as efficient, mainly due to their thick protective under layer making them rather rigid. I've never tried those Contis but a number of members use and like them.

More information about the Travel Contacts on this link

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Kirstin / Flecc ...I like the idea of these tyres...good alternative to SMPs.

...any suggestion what size I should buy to replace Kenda 2.1 XC tyres ... same size...smaller ...larger ?

cheers....Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you go too small on width you'll lose comfort, so either of the last two in the site list, 26" x 1.9", all black or reflective.

That's a touch narrower than your present 2.1", but not seriously enough for it to show in ride comfort.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
hey guys - how do they do on ice? i've always changed my schwalbe's for the winter as the grip is dangerous on slippy surfaces - are the conti's ok for a year round tyre?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
If you go too small on width you'll lose comfort, so either of the last two in the site list, 26" x 1.9", all black or reflective.
Flecc...I'm struggling to find any 26 x 1.9 size ...plenty of 1.75.
...I can live with a slight loss of comfort...what do you think ? ...but will 1.75 be ok on my rims ?

....also struggling to find tubes with 4.5 cm valves as per originals to fit double wall rims.

.....do you see this as important ?

.....appreciate your advice....Mike