Which Wisper

Moglie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2010
Ok, so today I tried out the Wisper 905 eco, which was great fun.

I'm trying to make my mind up on whether to spend the extra on the 905se City S or spend even more going for the 706 Alpino (I love the look of the 706).

So, which one would you buy? the 905 eco, the 905se City S or the 706 Alpino... basically a difference of £500?

My daily commute is only currently 6 miles round trip, with quite a steep hill to home.

Cheers
Moglie

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Ok, so today I tried out the Wisper 905 eco, which was great fun.

I'm trying to make my mind up on whether to spend the extra on the 905se City S or spend even more going for the 706 Alpino (I love the look of the 706).

So, which one would you buy? the 905 eco, the 905se City S or the 706 Alpino... basically a difference of £500?

My daily commute is only currently 6 miles round trip, with quite a steep hill to home.

Cheers
Moglie

hi, if you can stretch to the alpino you will be amazed at the performance over the other bikes you mention.......do you mean the alpino 906 ? (the 706 is the step through frame, the 906 is similar to 905)......
i moved up from 705se to alpino 706......certainly worth the price difference........

regards

Moglie

Aug 12, 2010
Hi, yes the 706 alpino step through. I haven't tried it, but I'm assuming it has more welly than the 905 eco, even though the 706 alpino is a heavier bike? By the way, I'm a lady and would like ride to work in a skirt occasionally.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi, yes the 706 alpino step through. I haven't tried it, but I'm assuming it has more welly than the 905 eco, even though the 706 alpino is a heavier bike? By the way, I'm a lady and would like ride to work in a skirt occasionally.
hi, yes alpino 706 (step through) is brilliant.....motor has much less drag , the gearing is much superior for setting off and on hills and the alfine gear change is wonderful. you can change gear whilst stopped for instance. i also prefer the throttle on the left because of signalling to turn right and keeping the power on.
also the handle bar control has much improved information and 6 assist settings. oh and dont forget the automatic lights which are light sensitive !!
in gleaming white and front and seat suspension its a joy to ride. i dont have the coatguard on but usually have a knog pannier bag on, so no problem to travel well dressed.......
its very hilly where i am so its ideal for me.
regards

Moglie

Aug 12, 2010
Thanks so much, its great to hear it from someone who has first hand experience. Roll on Monday, when I can order it!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi,
I too have just been looking at the the 2 step thru wispers and was surprised at the difference in weight between them......the Alpino being 27kilos......quite heavy really, and 5 kilos heavier than my current bike (powacycle windsor). The weight is quite important to me as I have to lift it up onto my motorhome bike rack.
Can anyone explain why its so much heavier than the other one :confused:
Apart from that I also love the look of the alpino......and I'm a lady too :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The Alpino range of Wisper bikes where originally not even to be sold here, as they where designed for the massive and lucrative European market where people tend to be taller? Holland for instance.....

like I said earlier I tried a 906 and frame was to big for me and I am 5.10.......You need to try em!

edit: with me it was not the wheel size I think, but the handlebars seemed a bit of a stretch

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks so much, its great to hear it from someone who has first hand experience. Roll on Monday, when I can order it!
oh forgot one thing....i am only just 5ft 6inch tall and so went for the 26 inch wheel spec and my feet just touch the ground whilst on the lowest seat setting.....if you are smaller you may find the bike 'big' (it also comes in a 28 inch wheel so if taller this may be the one to get.....)

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
The Alpino rrange of Wisper bikes where originally not even to be sold here, as they where designed for the massive and lucrative European market where people tend to be taller? Holland for instance.....

like I said earlier I tried a 906 and frame was to big for me...You need to try em!
hi ed, were you on the 28 inch wheels...or are you even smaller than me (5ft 6inch) ? i went for the step through......i rode this type of 'unisex' frame for years when i lived in belgium......seems to be a british 'thing' that they are referred to as ladies bikes....... i also hope it keeps the local thieves away , they might look very suspicious round here on a white 'girly' bike !!!!

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi,
I too have just been looking at the the 2 step thru wispers and was surprised at the difference in weight between them......the Alpino being 27kilos......quite heavy really, and 5 kilos heavier than my current bike (powacycle windsor). The weight is quite important to me as I have to lift it up onto my motorhome bike rack.
Can anyone explain why its so much heavier than the other one :confused:
Apart from that I also love the look of the alpino......and I'm a lady too :)
hi, if you remove battery it will weigh similar to your current bike for lifting...alpino 706 is a bigger bike than the 705 and heavier, but on the hilly terrain where i am the 706 performance is significantly better than 705......
regards

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
hi ed, were you on the 28 inch wheels...or are you even smaller than me (5ft 6inch) ? i went for the step through......i rode this type of 'unisex' frame for years when i lived in belgium......seems to be a british 'thing' that they are referred to as ladies bikes....... i also hope it keeps the local thieves away , they might look very suspicious round here on a white 'girly' bike !!!!
Oh I do like your anti theft reasoning :D

Moglie

Aug 12, 2010
I've tried a 905 eco today, frame seemed ok for me.

I'm 5 ft 6 and size 10, so certainly not Amazonian in build!

Any idea where I could try the 706 Alpino near Bournemouth (not Brockenhurst they only have the 905 eco)?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
The Alpino range of Wisper bikes where originally not even to be sold here, as they where designed for the massive and lucrative European market where people tend to be taller? Holland for instance.....

like I said earlier I tried a 906 and frame was to big for me and I am 5.10.......You need to try em!

edit: with me it was not the wheel size I think, but the handlebars seemed a bit of a stretch
So, eddie are you saying that the weight is coming just from a substantially larger frame or are they made heavier to suit a mainland europe market ?
( they can't have had the spanish market in mind :D )

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010

ah yes the 706 has the 'dutch' handlebars....another reason i chose the bike...just love those old fashioned wrap arounds and lots of adjustment possible too......the sit up and beg style of riding is great for comfort...the dutch know a thing or two about bike design........
regards

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
hi, if you remove battery it will weigh similar to your current bike for lifting...alpino 706 is a bigger bike than the 705 and heavier, but on the hilly terrain where i am the 706 performance is significantly better than 705......
regards
Nice try :) but I already remove my battery before lifting, I'm presuming that the alpinos battery doesnt weigh over 7 kilos ??

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
So, eddie are you saying that the weight is coming just from a substantially larger frame or are they made heavier to suit a mainland europe market ?
( they can't have had the spanish market in mind :D )
Europe is a big place with varying climate - people in the "colder" bits of Europe (the Teutonic and Scandinavian countries) are generally taller, whilst those from the hotter nations tend to be shorter.

You get the same thing in Asia, its a fallacy that all Chinese are short, but this stereotype occurs particularly in UK as most Chinese immigrants to UK come from South China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore where it is hot.

Chinese from colder areas (on the border of Tibet/Nepal) are much taller, as are other Asians from those colder parts of the world.

Also you get smaller tigers in hot Asian countries, and larger rats (including many "giant" species). the reverse happens in the colder areas of Asia (particularly former Soviet Union).

It must all be Nature's way of balancing things, but it means our bicycles must be in many different frame sizes ;)

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Nice try :) but I already remove my battery before lifting, I'm presuming that the alpinos battery doesnt weigh over 7 kilos ??
well, the seat is easily removed with quick release....the rear rack is probably a couple of kilos and could be removed fairly easily...... the front wheel with motor would come off fairly easily.......ok will stop there !!!!!!:D

battery is about 5kg i think.....

or if all else fails weight lifting nightclass ???

regards

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
So, dmc, you are a standard 5 ft 6 inches and not a long version?!
getting personal now.......

29.5 inch inside leg............ m and s call that mens 'short' leg just to make sure we know we are vertically challenged... :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I'm about the same height and the 905 frame is just right for me (in fact I tend to have the seatpost raised quite high so it must be OK for shorter people)