Whick Kalkhoff would you guys pick - £2k budget ?

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
HI

Could you tell me why the Kalkhoff Endeavour Impulse S10 XT is more expensive than the Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 ?
To me they both look the same ? Same battery, groupset etc ??

What would YOU recommmend....

Or would you advise another bike with around £2k-£2.5k budget ???

I will be ON ROAD and have a decent MTB for off road.

Regards

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Endeavour has a 350W speed motor which assists to 28mph - it is illegal for road use as a bicycle.

The Pro Connect has a standard 250W motor which assists to 15mph - it is legal for road use as a bicycle.

sunny_jay_jay

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
I have just bought a Pro Connect Alfine 8. I tried the Endeavour S10, and the Pro Connect 10. The Endeavour goes like a rocket but has a very limited range. It is also technically illegal on the road. The Pro Connect 10 derailleur gear changes are a bit clunky and tend to crunch from time to time. The Alfine is very smooth by contrast. The Pro Connects have an enormous range. I did 20 miles the other day on full power with lots of hills and only a small percentage of battery showing as used. In general terms the Pro Connect and the Endeavour are very similar, frame and spec wise, if you ignore the motor.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The pro connect is nearly the fastest electric bike you can buy and use legally on the road.
It's really much better than the Chinese bikes .
For range and quality

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
The Endeavour has a 350W speed motor which assists to 28mph - it is illegal for road use as a bicycle.

The Pro Connect has a standard 250W motor which assists to 15mph - it is legal for road use as a bicycle.
IMHO 15 mph is toooo slooooow (I have a tasman), 20 to 25 mph is perfect, i'd go for the endeavour for sure

Reactions: SRS

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
IMHO 15 mph is toooo slooooow (I have a tasman), 20 to 25 mph is perfect, i'd go for the endeavour for sure
They do go faster than that. Over 17 mph before all assist is gone. Then assist is back at just about 17 mph again.

Unlike some e bikes they do ride well past the cut out too, and although heavy mothers will happily cruise on the flat as cadence and gearing suits. Then when you come to a rise and it starts getting to be hard work the power will make it easily again.

All totally legal and with no niggling worries that if you were hit by someone it might come back on you and end with a loss of your licence.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
HI

Could you tell me why the Kalkhoff Endeavour Impulse S10 XT is more expensive than the Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 ?
To me they both look the same ? Same battery, groupset etc ??

What would YOU recommmend....

Or would you advise another bike with around £2k-£2.5k budget ???

I will be ON ROAD and have a decent MTB for off road.

Regards
clearly youre familiar with MTB's - if youre feeling brave one entirely reasonable alternative is to pick up a decent dual suspension MTB for say 4 or 5 hundred quid and put a BPM hub motor with say a 36V 30A battery and controller on it - that should give youendeavour type performance, quality components and all for much less than a £1k (it's what i'm doing)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
derf, don't underestimate the difficulty with wheel building for a fast machine. d8veh's own guesstimate, your controller pulls an Amp for every mph, so 25A for 25mph, the risk to the spokes will be exponential to the speed and amps.
That's the main reason I have always recommended crank drive kits for speed machine.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
derf, don't underestimate the difficulty with wheel building for a fast machine. d8veh's own guesstimate, your controller pulls an Amp for every mph, so 25A for 25mph, the risk to the spokes will be exponential to the speed and amps.
That's the main reason I have always recommended crank drive kits for speed machine.
er, yes, astroturfing aside, I'm sure you recognise that a crank drive of the same power exerts exactly the same torque on a bicycle wheel (and, very probably, more given that it works through the bicycle's gears)? I dont think anyone need to be inhibited from building their own pedelec (or driven into the sweaty arms of "vendors" on this forum) by this line of thinking

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
On a crank drive, the torque drops when speed increases. Also, the chain and cogs act as torque limiter, soften the shock to the rear wheel. Also, crank drives have soft start any way.
I am just stating the obvious - building motor wheels for BPMs usually requires a lot of experience. aerobelly got it to a fine art:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bh-emotion-serious-problems.15973/page-10#post-223638
he does weigh 150kg, I'm not about to disagree with any of the other "nuggets" you've written because life is short and I'm too happy that I don't have to push Chinese crap here for a living

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am retired now, I have clocked in for more than 40 years. I think your attitude is a bit 'know it all' - let's wait and see how you proceed with your project.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I am retired now, I have clocked in for more than 40 years. I think your attitude is a bit 'know it all' - let's wait and see how you proceed with your project.
oh dear, it does sound as if you're hoping it doesn't work and imagine that will somehow amount to an experience of failure? attitude may be what its about for you. not for me, I'm interested in learning and experimenting. That's very different from feigning an interest in something as part of trying to market crap.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am sure you do not think that the 8Fun kits are crap as you are buying the same stuff yourself.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
er, yes, astroturfing aside, I'm sure you recognise that a crank drive of the same power exerts exactly the same torque on a bicycle wheel (and, very probably, more given that it works through the bicycle's gears)? I dont think anyone need to be inhibited from building their own pedelec (or driven into the sweaty arms of "vendors" on this forum) by this line of thinking
For the record I dont have sweaty arms.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Reactions: LEBC Tom