White-knuckle newbie

Rainman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 2, 2015
Update - I've decided that for my first ebike I'll just get a road legal ebike and just get used to the various ins-and-outs of pedelecs, do a lot more homework and sell my Marin for something that will be a better donor bike later on.

I think I've been missing the whole point of looking at an ebike in the first place, which was to help me rehabilitate my various sports injuries and so I should focus on that first and foremost. So, in the meantime I've just bought an ex-demo 2014 Haibike xDuro FS RX 27.5. I saw that last year it should have sold for somewhere around £3500 so I'm quite happy to have secured it for £1000 under that, complete with a warranty, etc.

With the wheels out I couldn't get it in the boot of the GT-R, which I can do with my Marin, because the Haibike frame is a fair bit longer. However, with an old duvet spread over the rear seats it goes in the back just fine.

Now I just need to get out and ride it although a dongle will be applied in due course for my near-term off-road requirements.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh i never take mine of dongle that is and just try keep it 15.mph on the road ;)

never been pulled over and been past plenty of police cars and some on bikes as well.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant see how they would find out if 1 was used tho as just take it of and reset the bike to default.

no batt no power info all gone.

ebike shop has no warranty problems with there dongles and warranty using them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
According to KTM in a post a few months ago Bosch can tell if a dongle was fitted when they interrogate the software.

so how can ebike shop sell fit dongles and still honer the warranty when no other dealers can.?

as they all get sent back to bosch for warranty replacement anyway and even if i want a new motor ill have to send mine in first.

just stinks if you ask me tbh.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
According to KTM in a post a few months ago Bosch can tell if a dongle was fitted when they interrogate the software.

so how can ebike shop sell fit dongles and still honer the warranty when no other dealers can.?

as they all get sent back to bosch for warranty replacement anyway and even if i want a new motor ill have to send mine in first.

just stinks if you ask me tbh.
Perhaps. Ebike shop has a special arrangement with Bosch that they will honour the warranty if the bike is purchased Via them as he will not sell you a dongle if you purchased the bike from another retailer.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Update - I've decided that for my first ebike I'll just get a road legal ebike and just get used to the various ins-and-outs of pedelecs, do a lot more homework and sell my Marin for something that will be a better donor bike later on.

I think I've been missing the whole point of looking at an ebike in the first place, which was to help me rehabilitate my various sports injuries and so I should focus on that first and foremost. So, in the meantime I've just bought an ex-demo 2014 Haibike xDuro FS RX 27.5. I saw that last year it should have sold for somewhere around £3500 so I'm quite happy to have secured it for £1000 under that, complete with a warranty, etc.

With the wheels out I couldn't get it in the boot of the GT-R, which I can do with my Marin, because the Haibike frame is a fair bit longer. However, with an old duvet spread over the rear seats it goes in the back just fine.

Now I just need to get out and ride it although a dongle will be applied in due course for my near-term off-road requirements.
Nice bike, plenty of fun to be had on that.

A legal eMTB is a good purchase for many reasons, not least because you will be in a similar performance zone to your mates, enabling you to take full part in the activities.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Perhaps. Ebike shop has a special arrangement with Bosch

i doubt it as all bosch performance motors are 350w not 250w and a dongle just lets you have full motor power like the ktm bikes ed posted.

why i do not understand why all other dealers will void the warranty if a dongle is used, not as its giving you extra power just what the motor was designed for.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
I know this has been discussed a lot, but I don't believe that using a dongle leaves a traceable 'footprint' on the hardware. I'm nowhere near an expert but my understanding is that the dongle uses technology to register every other time the magnet passes the speed sensor. So to all intents and purposes the sensor assumes the wheel is rotating at half the speed it actually is, right?
And even if the system can tell it's unlikely to affect a warranty. For example the technology in a car CAN tell if a car has been remapped but an Audi technician says they never check as the dealers get paid for carrying out the warranty work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
every single dealer i have had a reply from will void the warranty if a dongle is used but like you say how can they tell, they cant.

if i take the batt out of the screen and solder it back in it will lose all info anyway like bios in a pc motherboard ect.

so i guess if you use a dongle dont tell the dealer that you have 1 or might have problems with warranty replacements.

thus why i got my bike off ebay and not from a dealer.

Barry Chuckle

Jun 29, 2015
Update, Badass's wonderful customer service was proven today when my FOC adapter arrived and the dongle works a treat!

I tried it and overtook a keen cyclist half my age and weight (on private land of course) he couldn't quite believe how I got past, must be like Usain Bolt being overtaken by a darts player on the 100m

I'm almost certain the chip wouldn't be able to tell any modifications, as my average speed has simply halved as my wheels rotate at half the speed. And even if it does invalidate the warranty, I'm sure it won't bankrupt anyone, as a repair bill is only likely to run into the hundreds worst case scenario.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah should see the look of peeps faces on there cf twigs watch me blast past um at 30mph puffing a roll up. then try keep up with me got no chance lol

just remove the dongle and press reset and put the wheel magnet back and back to default.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:)