Who wants to steal my bike?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My home insurance is with marks and spencer . They do not require the bike to d locked at home

They do required it to be in a locked environment - so in a locked house or a locked garage

They also insure outside the home. It definitely has to be locked up then though - can't just leave it in the street

As I only have a shed - not a garage - I tend to leave my bike in the downstairs bog (no windows) if I go away for an extended period
We don't have an indoor bog, but we do have a pond! :p

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
My home insurance is with marks and spencer . They do not require the bike to d locked at home

They do required it to be in a locked environment - so in a locked house or a locked garage
Well, mine hasn't got to be locked up inside the house - it's garages and sheds they're sniffy about. My insurance is with Cycleguard but I'd heard the same thing from other cyclists and bikers. They often specify this in the small print (which hardly anyone ever reads).

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some good info here and much to think about so thanks all for your input. Seriously though, having been monitoring the other thread (you all know which one I mean) I think it would be prudent to ask our insurers about public liability because I for one had never even thought about it.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hence why they tend to insist on a ground anchor.

Nice one for getting them to pay out though!
Which insurance company is your motorbike insured with? Do you have motorbike insurance? I've had many motorbikes over the years, the only stipulation is, if I'm within 0.5 of a mile from my house, it must be in a locked garage overnight.
So, again, which insurance company is your motorbike insured with. Just to explain why I am saying this, I re-insured my motorbike 2 days ago and this very subject was discussed with me.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Which insurance company is your motorbike insured with? Do you have motorbike insurance?
I have an ebike, not a motorbike and last time I checked this was a forum for ebike issues, I hope I've got the right place...!

I'm talking about the insurance situation for ebikes. I also mentioned that I've heard the same thing from friends with motorbikes, but this is purely incidental. I don't really care what the situation is with motorbikes and it's not relevant anyway. I'd rather not derail the discussion any further.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
You mean you go on holiday and don't take your bike with you?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I have an ebike, not a motorbike and last time I checked this was a forum for ebike issues.
Fair enough, it was you who brought motorbikes into it. As I said, which you seemed to disagree with, my house insurance covers my ebike for theft from my garage. It does not stipulate ANY locks on the bike. The thread was started about bikes getting stolen and the lengths which people go to to prevent it. I simply say, insure it and stick it in your garage. Don't fret about what will probably never happen.

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
FWIW
A few years back I had 3500L Rover Trike insurance locked garage only. £3750.00 value

Then I got a Quad,insurance,
Thatcham approved alarm,chain, bolt anchor,locked garage,I was not even insured if I was in a 500 yard radius from my home if I left it in the street unlocked or chained, took the pi$$ I think considering a bistro pub I like going too is in that radius :(
Value £2000-£2500

In that time i had various ebikes which was insured,locked garage nothing else was required. Value £600-£1400

Also what is one person insurance is not the same for all even with the same company, Postcode is big factor which goes inline with risk rates.. IE reported thefts in the area and what is high risk

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
FWIW
A few years back I had 3500L Rover Trike insurance locked garage only. £3750.00 value
k
Theres a guy in my motorbike club who has a 3500 rover trike which he built himself. It is quite impressive going along the road.

Reactions: uk_steve

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Bet it would be really easy to go arse over tit over the back wheels in a low gear with it too. I had a Rover 3500 many moons ago and for a heavy comfortable car it did sit its tail down well with a heavy right foot.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apparently most garage breakins are through the back/side door which I don't have so I am leaning towards Cyclezee's suggestion. Fix the door.. No way in do no way out. When I am at home the car goes in every night, it's only when we go away.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
As I said, which you seemed to disagree with, my house insurance covers my ebike for theft from my garage.
I looked at house insurance options myself, and found that most home contents policies cap the value of any bikes at £1000-£1500 - no use for me. I realise this may be adequate for some though.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Good idea to is to put the cctv on it but another good way is to connect the bike minus the battery to the the mains electricity (only 240v) and post the results on you-tube ???? ( Don't try this please and I except no responsibility for the results)

Reactions: john h

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Good idea to is to put the cctv on it but another good way is to connect the bike minus the battery to the the mains electricity (only 240v) and post the results on you-tube ???? ( Don't try this please and I except no responsibility for the results)
Hi steve.c. better to post video to "You been framed" and get £250 to wards your insurance premium.:rolleyes:

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
axolotl said:
I looked at house insurance options myself, and found that most home contents policies cap the value of any bikes at £1000-£1500 - no use for me. I realise this may be adequate for some though.
My husband checked on the status of my ebike re our house insurance today. Direct Line confirmed it was included in the policy for no extra charge (and the bike is worth £2,750). So it's worth checking if yours would be covered too. They did say that this only applied to theft from home and didn't cover me when I'm out and about. If we added personal contents to the policy it would be covered up to the value of £2,000 away from the house.

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Hi steve.c. better to post video to "You been framed" and get £250 to wards your insurance premium.:rolleyes:
Towards his defence solicitor's fees, more like. :)