who's bike is that?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
The last few instances of bike fires I have seen have all involved 18650 cells, supposedly one of the 'safer' types of lithium cell. I think that this goes to show that there are more important factors to consider than just cell format where battery safety is concerned.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hard to say what may have caused the fire, obviously a D/D kit of the Ebay type.. D/D 500/100w often have a 25 or 30a controller, so a decent battery would be needed to supply power.
Can only assume it was a down tube battery looking at the main burn area and front wheel.

Probable cause could be any thing;

• A short.
  • Over heated cells.
  • BMS malfunction.
  • Over charged / over discharge.
  • Poorly matched battery.
  • DIY battery.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I wonder what cell type it is too.

I punctured and short few times my panasonic ncr18650pf and no fire

I did bin them away, however nothing happened.

I think there are safer 18650 than others...

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Makes you wonder whether our bikes need some sort of 'ejector seat' type mechanism to detach the battery from the bike in the event of fire.

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
Makes you wonder whether our bikes need some sort of 'ejector seat' type mechanism to detach the battery from the bike in the event of fire.
As I was reading 'ejector seat' I had a vision of the rider being shot up into the air to safety and then floating back down to earth .....

Then I read ' to detach the battery' and my mental picture popped :p

D

Deleted member 4366

That's The Sun newspaper. You don't expect them to tell the story as it actually happened. There would be lots of fizzing and smoking long before any flames came out, though if the rider had been at full speed, it wouldn't be so easy to notice that. I don't think we've got anything to worry about.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A pedestrian looks over to the burning peddle bike left to the side of the road
NO! I copied and pasted the part I posted.

It's been edited (and still misspelt of course), probably after many people drew it to their attention.

I only copied and pasted the beginning of the caption, the full original photo caption read:

"A pedestrian cycles past the burning bike".