Whose to blame here?

Who is at fault for this narrowly avoided collision?

• LeighPing

• LeighPing's dog.

• The chocolate labrador.

• The chocolate labrador's owners.

• They're all guilty as sin!

• Brexit.

• Trump.

Results are only viewable after voting.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is always the dog owners fault. Especially if they voted Trump, Brexit...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The lab was out of control. The only guidance it had was from the back handed ball that went in front of Leighping. Therefore the owners made the situation worse:mad:. But I have it on excellent authority that he voted trumpxit so it's all his fault.:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In an area used by pedestrians, it's a cyclist's responsibility to slow sufficiently to avoid any chance of an accident at each approach to a pedestrian. That means if necessary slowing to around walking pace. When dogs are present that's doubly important, since they are never truly under full control.

I use shared paths to a considerable extent and when approaching from behind I slow right down with a single "ting" on the bell and when walkers look round and often move to one side I say with a smile, "Sorry to disturb you".

This frequently prompts a smile in return and sometimes a "Thank you" or similar.

Fundamentally pedestrians should have priority, no matter how many legs they have, since theirs is the time honoured natural form of locomotion. Vehicles of all kinds are the "Johnny-come-lately" and should take second place, except where a facility such as a road is primarily intended for them.

12 mph was too fast. A cue can be taken from Japan where in urban areas cyclists often have to share the pavements and are not allowed on the roads with motor vehicles. Then they are required to keep below 15 kph (9mph) and they typically cycle rather slower than that.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Having had several encounters with loose and uncontrolled dogs, I take a cautious approach. Here I would have slowed right down and possibly dismounted and walked past the dog.

It's quite a topical issue for me....

Earlier this week I actually had to report a loose dog to the police. For the last +6 months, a dog has been left loose on a local, single track lane and every time I passed it would tear after me, barking madly and with its jaws snapping at my ankles on the downhill stretch or with its teeth wrapped around my front wheel on the uphill run. I have ended up cycling into ditches, hedges and on one occasion, into the path on an oncoming car on a blind bend and ended up in the hedge. It could have been very nasty.

The owner has taken no responsibility. She has occasionally shouted at the dog but still left it loose so seconds following its reprimand, it's out again. There has been no way of approaching her to discuss it calmly - the territorial dog is very clear about that and so it's continued for months.

With dead leaves and damp now making the lane slippery to both sides of the central line of moss running along it, the dog has become even more of a hazard, an accident waiting to happen.

I didn't expect much of a response from the police but they visited the owner the following day and, if it continues, they will bring a charge of 'dog dangerously out of control in a public place'. They were quite clear - dogs should always be under the owner's control when in a public place. Admittedly there is a little more flexibility on an off-road footpath but dogs can act unpredictably, be suddenly alarmed and become aggressive.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
After riding in Asia for more than 20 years I encounter situations like this and far worse than this on a regular basis.

In terms of who is right and who is wrong would be up for debate however the simplest solution is to try and avoid at all costs even if it means going another way.

sent via huawei P9

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

johnc46

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2010
As a dog owner and e biker I would say both, you for not slowing down and the dog owner for not controlling his dog, it's a situation I come across both ways on a daily basis.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
The whole senerio was a situation waiting to happen. Firstly, I voted that it was the lab owner's fault. The reason why I did was that the lab was not controlled. However, both dogs should have been controlled. The lab certainly was not. Nor was LeighPing's but his dog did not contribute to the incident.

The other thing I noticed, and mentioned before, the speed and lack of caution by LeighPing was also a factor. Ringing your bell is not a replacement for due care and caution. It was fortunate that it was a near miss.

I always slow for dog walkers even when the dog is controlled. There are the usual walkers you see everyday and are predictable. Then there are the idiots that think the whole path is theirs, dog on or off the lead. Yes, they get politely reminded what their responsibility is.

The last thing a cyclists needs is to hit and injure or kill a dog. Wether it is their fault or yours, the cyclist will get the blame every time. Safe journey all :)

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
When out riding I have found that dogs can easily keep up with me at 15 MPH but they just can't bite at that speed, YET!

I blamed Brexit-Trump, get in while you can with the blame game they won't be there for ever.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Fortunately, for me, they picked out Brad Pitt on the ID parade. So, I'm off the hook.. until next time. :D

My dog was his usual impeccable self. If he can hear me, then he's in my control. In fact, he doesn't even need to hear me, as he will stop and wait. Or, as you can see in the video, come to me without the need to be told. He'll drop down when ordered and avoid hazards such as attacking dogs, bikes and people, quite competently. In over 5k miles joring and biking, he's yet to cause an issue. Although, I would never bet against that ever happening because he's just a dog.

My speed, alerting the parties ahead well in advance, me moving to the left side grass verge, was appropriate to react to the situation, which I was able to do. Any slower, or closer to the people and dog I was passing, and I would have lost the velocity to swerve and most likely would have hurt that labrador on impact. So, the speed was contributory in avoiding any collision.

Too slow and people whinge about the time I take to pass them. Too slow and I don't get where I'm going as quickly as I'd like. Many bikes on that path do over 20 mph past people. They don't use their bells either. :oops:

As for the poll. The correct answer would be 'The chocolate labs owners.' Like it or not, that's just the way it is. They tried to hold a dog, that appeared to be quite well trained, on ball drive alone. It didn't quite work out that way when they dropped the ball.

I had no problem with this minor incident or the dog. Clearly, they were upset with their dog and I had to pay for it somehow. :)

These things happen to us quite a lot. As this video below shows.

Reactions: IR772

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Earlier this week I actually had to report a loose dog to the police. For the last +6 months, a dog has been left loose on a local, single track lane and every time I passed it would tear after me, barking madly and with its jaws snapping at my ankles on the downhill stretch or with its teeth wrapped around my front wheel on the uphill run.
I have a dog dazzler for such times, very effective it is too.

Also works on cats.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Fortunately, for me, they picked out Brad Pitt on the ID parade. So, I'm off the hook.. until next time. :D

My dog was his usual impeccable self. If he can hear me, then he's in my control. In fact, he doesn't even need to hear me, as he will stop and wait. Or, as you can see in the video, come to me without the need to be told. He'll drop down when ordered and avoid hazards such as attacking dogs, bikes and people, quite competently. In over 5k miles joring and biking, he's yet to cause an issue. Although, I would never bet against that ever happening because he's just a dog.

My speed, alerting the parties ahead well in advance, me moving to the left side grass verge, was appropriate to react to the situation, which I was able to do. Any slower, or closer to the people and dog I was passing, and I would have lost the velocity to swerve and most likely would have hurt that labrador on impact. So, the speed was contributory in avoiding any collision.

Too slow and people whinge about the time I take to pass them. Too slow and I don't get where I'm going as quickly as I'd like. Many bikes on that path do over 20 mph past people. They don't use their bells either. :oops:

As for the poll. The correct answer would be 'The chocolate labs owners.' Like it or not, that's just the way it is. They tried to hold a dog, that appeared to be quite well trained, on ball drive alone. It didn't quite work out that way when they dropped the ball.

I had no problem with this minor incident or the dog. Clearly, they were upset with their dog and I had to pay for it somehow. :)

These things happen to us quite a lot. As this video below shows.

I have to like a singing dog.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing