Why is my bike kickstand always on the wrong side?

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
My kickstand is on the left hand side, which makes sense if I am on the left for mounting and dismounting. But why do I always seem to be on the wrong side of the bike when I want to operate it? I am really trying to remember always to be on the left of the bike but it almost seems more than 50% of the time I am on the wriog side to operate it, even though I am trying to remember to stay on the left.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Propstand

The propstand on Motorcycles , bikes etc is on the side nearest the kerb so your machine leans towards the pavement when parked . I would imagine the Continentals have them on the other side . If this is not the case, it must be because most of the population are right handed .

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I would imagine the Continentals have them on the other side . If this is not the case, it must be because most of the population are right handed .
Both my bikes (bought in France and Switzerland) are on the left side so I don't think there is a divide between the two sides of the channel.

Someone will be along shortly to explain, I'm sure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's natural for the right handed 90% of the human population to dismount to the left, horses as well as bikes, so that's where the stand is (on bikes, horses don't need them). I can only conclude that 10 mph is left handed or ambidextrous with some left hand bias.

This sort of thing doesn't only apply to bike riding, For example, I have a refuse bin room at the left of the front exit of my apartment block. It's outer door hinges left, the binmen approach from the right. But they, when right handed, pick up bins with their right hand beneath the right side of the bin and their left hand at the top left, as if to tip left, but the trolley bin they empty into is on the right, so they can't. If they were to try and pick up the bins the opposite way, they'd get crippled with muscle strain in no time due to the unnatural action.

So they don't empty the bins by tipping, they just pick up the contents if bagged and transfer them. If the contents are loose, they get left.

Of course the architect didn't realise that he should have put the binrooms on the right of the front doors of the blocks, only correctable now by the council only employing left handed binmen.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
The horsey bit was because of where the gentlemen carried their swords.

My Moto Guzzi California, which is Italian, has the sidestand on the left.

Now that may not be of any importance but it gives me a chance to post a photo of my bike :D

Steve

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
It's natural for the right handed 90% of the human population to dismount to the left, horses as well as bikes
Well, I never knew that! I've been doing it all wrong then my whole life as I'm right-handed and always mount and dismount on the right side of the bike. I'm sure if I attempted it the other way round, both bike and I would probably end up in a heap. In truth, I can't think of any advantage or otherwise in embarking/disembarking a bicycle on one particular side and the issue of the kickstand is somewhat irrelevant as it's no hardship to walk round the bike if need be.

I can see some sense in a central stand, at least in theory, but others might be aware of shortcomings with those which I haven't thought of.

Regards,
Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The horsey bit was because of where the gentlemen carried their swords.
That's the legend Steve, but it's not the reason. Right handed people automatically dismount to the left from horse or bike without thought of swords or anything else. They do it because it's natural for them to do that.

Extreme examples are someone dismounting a bike as they stop by swinging the right leg over the rear of the bike, or a race jockey leaping out of a saddle in a single bound. Both land to the left if they are right handed.

The sword influence could apply to a left handed person wishing to do their natural opposite I suppose, and it may be from this case that the story about the sword position has arisen, since that would affect some 10% of the population.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, I never knew that! I've been doing it all wrong then my whole life as I'm right-handed and always mount and dismount on the right side of the bike.

Regards,
Indalo
But are you stopping first Indalo, then stepping from a step-through frame? In that case there may be no influence from balance needs.

If you watch others dismounting from bikes and horses you'll see that almost all automatically dismount to the left. Hence the bike stand position for the majority, regardless of which side of the road is ridden.

Bike centre stands often have a small outward extension to tread on to erect the stand. That is always on the left of the bike too.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Thats why I didn`t go into detail about the horsey stuff Flecc. I didn`t know if it was an old wives tale.

I like the idea of a centre stand on a cycle. They are quite popular in Denmark. My Guzzi has a side stand and centre stand :D

Steve

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
But are you stopping first Indalo, then stepping from a step-through frame? In that case there may be no influence from balance needs.

Most of the time flecc, I mount and dismount my step-through just as I do on my other bikes, all of which, (3) have crossbars. I tried mounting from the left this afternoon on my way back from Rickmansworth but it felt alien to me....so did mounting the bike!.....but maybe I need some practice as I've always done it from the other side.

I don't suppose it matters a hoot so long as I'm in control of the machine and not making myself look like a geriatric plonker by falling off or over the bike.

Just as an aside, my short ride into Rickmansworth today was very difficult due to a particularly strong headwind and some nasty little hills. Resorting to the high power setting, I managed although I had to use 3rd gear at times, something I usually manage to avoid. I was quite looking forward to the journey back with a tailwind but somehow, I was into a headwind for long stretches on the return leg. How does that work? OK, I know the answer but it certainly gave me a good workout. I've now discovered, however, that strong beer seems to make the leg ache disappear. Perhaps others have noted this remarkable homeopathic remedy before me though.

Regards,
Indalo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I was quite glad to have an electric assist bike after 3 beers the other week. Made the 9 mile journey home easy. Although 10mins slower and using up alot of battery on the way back as i couldn't be arsed lol.

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
My X-Byke bike was supplied with a centre stand as standard. Since adding a 20Ah 36V battery the bike feels a bit unstable when used when windy. It's blown over a couple of times when windy (once breaking the combined brake/gear changer), and I've got to park carefully because if is on a lateral slope it's not so stable either. I've been looking for a replacement centre stand (with the legs further apart) to increase stability but haven't found any better than the standard one- there doesn't seem to be too much choice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been looking for a replacement centre stand (with the legs further apart) to increase stability but haven't found any better than the standard one- there doesn't seem to be too much choice.
The reason for the lack of these is that their r/h leg when folded tends to foul the chain as it shifts up and down on derailleur gears.