Why Ride Rad?

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Have you increased top speed to beyond 15.5mph? That does indeed make a bike a pleasure to ride. I do miss Banfanging about at 22mph, before I knew it was illegal and I could get sued for my house post accident.
Hi guerney - Top speed has increased, although not by loads, however, when I free-wheel down a steep gradient, I can go way over 15.5mph!
Appreciate the input.

Ride Rad

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Clarity please, is it a 250w 'mislabeled' motor flying under the regs with a hobbled f/w in the off the shelf display that you have over-ridden with a aftermarket display? or something else?
Hi thelarkbox - please see link below for 9hopefully) more clarity:

I purchased my Eggrider from Big Game Bikes, and the attached video i found really helpful.

Appreciate the input

Ride Rad

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Grin simulator says 26 mph top speed with this upgrade. The eggrider just overrides the locked controller settings so it can deliver its full 19 amps. And knocking on 1000 watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peran

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi saneagle - Because the Eggrider releases all the Torque of the 500W Bafang motor, it means that I can climb steep inclines without loosing any speed as I pedal, there is a really good video that explaining what the Eggrider v2 brings to the Radrunner, it's from Big Game Bikes, where I bought my Eggrider form, the guy who owns BGB (Gareth) goes through what the Eggrider is, and what it can do for a Radrunner, please see below link:

Thanks for the input.

Ride Rad
I think you're mistaken. It doesn't do anything to the motor. It's just an interface to the controller. It let's you see the same data that the controller is dealing with you, and it allows you to set the controller's parameters the same as you can do directly through the LCD. It just gives a more convenient interface. With nearly every controller/LCD, you can set power and max speeds without needing an Eggrider.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi thelarkbox - please see link below for 9hopefully) more clarity:

I purchased my Eggrider from Big Game Bikes, and the attached video i found really helpful.

Appreciate the input

Ride Rad
He's talking out of his backside at the beginning of the video, though his explanation of what the Eggrider and other controller do is correct. It's possible that he tried to simplify things for the sake of understanding, but that's misleading. He redeemed himself a bit at the end. I think most people would get the wrong understanding from what he said.

All he needed to say was that the more current you allow, the steeper the hill you can climb, a bit about speed vs efficiency an how bigger motors can handle more power.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Grin simulator says 26 mph top speed with this upgrade. The eggrider just overrides the locked controller settings so it can deliver its full 19 amps. And knocking on 1000 watts.

1000w from the battery into the controller, not from the motor, which could be anything from 0w to 700w, depending on speed.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I got bored watching it because he kept trying to justify the eggrider is just to improve the hill climbing ability. When everyone knows it turns a 250w ebike into a 750 watt e-bike.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
allows you to set the controller's parameters the same as you can do directly through the LCD. It just gives a more convenient interface.
So Eggrider is an "Off road switch", which is "Strictly Forbidden" to use the DfT's expressions.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I got bored watching it because he kept trying to justify the eggrider is just to improve the hill climbing ability. When everyone knows it turns a 250w ebike into a 750 watt e-bike.
An Eggrider can't do that. A 250w bike is always a 250w bike no matter what you do to it unless you change the motor. You can convert a legal bike into a non legal one by releasing the speed limit, or you can covert a 250w bike into a 750w one by changing the motor. In other words it's the motor that determines the power rating and legality of the bike, not some fancy interface that dies the same as what you can do without it.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Those Rads are fitted with a G060 or if lucky a G062. According to the Bafang workbook the G062 is rated at 250w and 500w and 750w and 1000w.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
the cherry on the cake is the Eggrider v2, which means I can pedal up steep inclines without losing my initial speed
Eggrider is not the upgrade. Controller is. Eggrider is just a display which you have there with new controller as a combo. It is sold to you because old LCD is not compatible with new controller.

If what this guy say is true and your motor is rated 500W then your bike is illegal.

If you have twist and go throttle, then your bike is illegal.

If your motor doesn't cut off at 15.5mph/h, then your bike is illegal.

- what's not to like?
I wrote what I don't like...

The real question is why did you choose your bike over other bikes available on the market. For example over Santana 3 or Wisper 705.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Those Rads are fitted with a G060 or if lucky a G062. According to the Bafang workbook the G062 is rated at 250w and 500w and 750w and 1000w.
They're different versions of the motor. You can't convert one into another. You can only replace one with another. If it has 250w written on it, that's what it is.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
They're different versions of the motor. You can't convert one into another. You can only replace one with another. If it has 250w written on it, that's what it is.
show me where they are different.

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Eggrider is not the upgrade. Controller is. Eggrider is just a display which you have there with new controller as a combo. It is sold to you because old LCD is not compatible with new controller.

If what this guy say is true and your motor is rated 500W then your bike is illegal.

If you have twist and go throttle, then your bike is illegal.

If your motor doesn't cut off at 15.5mph/h, then your bike is illegal.

I wrote what I don't like...

The real question is why did you choose your bike over other bikes available on the market. For example over Santana 3 or Wisper 705.
Hi Az. - From the research I did ( a lot!) I did not see a bike that has all the attributes that the Radrunner has:
Customizable Utility Bike
Proven electric motor
Robust frame
Fat Tyres
Single Deralier (Less to go wrong)
Premium manufacturer
Coolest looking e Bike available (my opinion)
After-sales service available
2 Year Warranty
That's why I chose to Ride Rad

Appreciate your input

Ride Rad

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi guerney - Top speed has increased, although not by loads, however, when I free-wheel down a steep gradient, I can go way over 15.5mph!
Appreciate the input.

Ride Rad
Utilising gravity after the cutoff 15.5mph isn't illegal, reminds me of riding a motorbike again, only much slower.

Is there any chance you could upload a photo of the engraving or/and label on your hub motor?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Here is a good example of how Bafang rate their motors.

Same motor on the specification sheet with 3 different power ratings depending upon how many volts are applied to it.

So this particular example of a G060 is rated at 250 watts and 350 watts and 500 watts.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
An Eggrider can't do that. A 250w bike is always a 250w bike no matter what you do to it unless you change the motor. You can convert a legal bike into a non legal one by releasing the speed limit, or you can covert a 250w bike into a 750w one by changing the motor. In other words it's the motor that determines the power rating and legality of the bike, not some fancy interface that dies the same as what you can do without it.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here is a good example of how Bafang rate their motors.

Same motor on the specification sheet with 3 different power ratings depending upon how many volts are applied to it.

So this particular example of a G060 is rated at 250 watts and 350 watts and 500 watts.

The specification relates to the different versions of the motor. The exterior dimensions are for the case, but what's inside the case is different for the different versions. You get different windings with different wire diameter and different number of turns depending on the voltage, the speed and the power. It was the same with the older BPM and CST motors. The 500w was completely different to the 250w one inside and there were about 8 different speed versions of each power. They get the different speed by the different number of turns and strands on each pole.

In engineering terms, you could have two motors that were identical in all respects apart from the way the poles were wound. One could have 8 strands with 8 turns, making 64 loops of wire, and the other could have 16 turns of 4 strands making 64 loops. Power is torque times rotation speed and torque is proportional to current. The latter would turn at twice the speed of the former, so would make twice as much power as the former if they ran at the same current. This is why you often see different power versions of the same motor or bike. The 250w one is designed for 15.5 mph, the 350w is designed for 20 mph, and the 1000w one for 30 mph. The 250w one might get thinner wire to save money because its resistance at the lower current would be less significant.

It's generally desirable to keep resistances low because it affects efficiency, so in the above cases, the manufacturer would be able to claim high efficiency for the 250w version, which is a good sales point.

Reactions: MikelBikel

Peran

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2024
Utilising gravity after the cutoff 15.5mph isn't illegal, reminds me of riding a motorbike again, only much slower.

Is there any chance you could upload a photo of the engraving or/and label on your hub motor?
Hi Guerney - I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow (19th)
Ride Rad