wierd power problem

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
been having and intermittent power issue for a while now. Have always been able to put it down to the battery contacts opening up over time and not making proper contact with the prongs. The fix is to open the battery and re-adjust the contacts so they make properly again.
Started experiencing this earlier this week and the contacts looked like they needed adjustment, so I did this again today. New symptom emerged that I have never seen before:
Power all present on bike, no LEDs go off on throttle indicator to show loss of power and lights don't flicker either. Wheel spins or a bit, then stops, starts again then stops so you proceed down the road in a series of jerky motions rather than that lovely smooth movement with which we are all accustomed.
When I got home I tested it by lifting front wheel off the ground and turning the throttle onto full. Wheel started to accelerate, reached maximum speed and instead of remaining powered at that speed, motor cut out. Motor was only re-enabled after front brakes were engaged and wheel had slowed right down, or wheel had been allowed to slow right down of it's own accord.

Never seen this behaviour before. Always been able to run full throttle for as long as I want until battery dead.

Too tired (ill and exhausted) to investigate this tonight.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start please?

Thanks
James

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm guessing you have a battery that slots downwards behind the seatpost, into the docking base.

These do have issues with the contacts opening up after a period of time, but you could also try spraying a cotton bud with contact cleaner, or dip the end in some vodka, and giving the contact surfaces a good clean.

If that doesn't work, drink the rest of the bottle of vodka :D

Reactions: halfer

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I'm guessing you have a battery that slots downwards behind the seatpost, into the docking base.

These do have issues with the contacts opening up after a period of time, but you could also try spraying a cotton bud with contact cleaner, or dip the end in some vodka, and giving the contact surfaces a good clean.

If that doesn't work, drink the rest of the bottle of vodka :D
nope - its a frog and it slides back and forwards and side to side as I ride along opening up the contacts every couple of months!

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Has some wire that was bypassing a speed limiter become disconnected?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Not that I'm aware of and even.then, from my understanding, the motor shouldn't cut out. It should just spin at the max speed permitted by the controller/battery whichever is going to limit the current first.