Will the end of full speed throttles in January 2016 cause a rush to buy.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I wonder how many ebike owners will be abiding by this law and disconnecting or removing their throttles come January ?
I suspect many will just treat this legislation with the contempt it deserves and carry on throttling regardless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I how how many ebike owners will be abiding by this law and disconnecting or removing their throttles come January ?
I suspect many will just treat this legislation with the contempt it deserves and carry on throttling regardless.
Are you saying British e-bikers should be throttled Yamdude? :)

Many motorists would agree.

Reactions: craiggor

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Nice one.Its a pity this forum does not have more sub forums.A post like this could be in THE LAW forum.I was reading a post about mudguards clearing disc brakes yesterday. Today I took a pick of mine to post.did a search for mudguards and it was not there.found it in the time line but it would be easy to find stuff if each part of an ebike had its own sub forum.
The bit where you say miss that and jump to this and you put a link does not work.So I read the whole thing.Glad i did never knew bicycles made after 1985 need reflectors on there pedals.And it also says ebikes can be marked with the legal info or a plate.It does not say what marked means.I suppose anything will be OK stamped,sticker,marker pen ?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
woosh in Cambridge is closing by the end of tthe month. The landlord, World of Computers, who is an old friend of Hatti, wants the space back.
Gosh that's a real pity, it makes it far more difficult for us Northeners to get a test ride now. Is that it or is the company going to acquire an alternative space nearer than Southend?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I wonder how many ebike owners will be abiding by this law and disconnecting or removing their throttles come January ?
You don't need to remove if you buy before Jan.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bit where you say miss that and jump to this and you put a link does not work.So I read the whole thing.Glad i did never knew bicycles made after 1985 need reflectors on there pedals.And it also says ebikes can be marked with the legal info or a plate.It does not say what marked means.I suppose anything will be OK stamped,sticker,marker pen ?

All the links work, I tested them when first posting

The paragraph in blue isn't a link, it's just the paragraph to read since that's all that's necessary from the Type Approval law. The rest of that type approval law doesn't apply to pedelecs.

The labelling law is for manufacturers to plate a pedelec when manufactured, since they have to be checked for compliance to technical document EN15194 which is also in force in the UK. The question of labelling self builds hasn't been cleared up, but any self build submitted for approval would need a label of a permanent nature.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I think it was probably because your post ended with the fact that you'd been given the correct answer already and for us that answer was common knowledge to most members. Had you asked a question I'm sure you'd have had plenty of answers, and the responses to your post I've quoted show that willingness.

You would also have had responses if you'd posted in the "Introduce yourself" section, as you'll see by checking that.
I DID try that but for some reason I got moved onto another part of the forum which wasn't relevant. Never mind!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
So, seeing as my kit was bought & fitted pre January..... I take it i can legally use the throttle for as long as i like then ?
As far as I'am aware yes keep your receipt.Not sure about this but I think they banned throttles when they changed the law last January but are giving the shops a year to sell there stock.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm going to have to get mine out of the box and try the damned thing. Now that the police are all busy controlling the frontier they don't have the time to control a chap on a bike whizzing by without pedalling.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the welcome Andy. Is the Valley place OK to deal with. It's position and frontage isn't exactly welcoming - I'm sure you know what I mean!
Just walk in the door rings.He is normally in the back workshop.I think he gets more work for the scooters.lots of different ebikes there.some second hand ones.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
So theoretically, i guess i could just keep the throttle from my current kit and keep using it on future kits, seeing as its from a kit bought before Jan.
I dont really care about the legalities, as if i want to use a throttle i just will..... but i like theorising loopholes to get around stupid laws.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Gosh that's a real pity, it makes it far more difficult for us Northeners to get a test ride now. Is that it or is the company going to acquire an alternative space nearer than Southend?
Hatti is looking for altternatives, such as large B&Bs willing to have her e-bikes for demos and hire.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As far as I'am aware yes keep your receipt.Not sure about this but I think they banned throttles when they changed the law last January but are giving the shops a year to sell there stock.
The change to pedelec only control was 6th April 2015 with stock clearance from then to 1st January 2016.

Six months is the usual notice period, they gave that last change in 2003.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So theoretically, i guess i could just keep the throttle from my current kit and keep using it on future kits, seeing as its from a kit bought before Jan.
I dont really care about the legalities, as if i want to use a throttle i just will..... but i like theorising loopholes to get around stupid laws.
I'm afraid not, you could reuse your kit but not just the throttle, since you'd need the kit purchase invoice as proof of age, and that will say what it is.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
The broom sketch !!! Had it for 10 years.It's only had 4 handles and six heads.