Winora Radius Plain

bearfacedclaire

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2016
London
Hi,

Does anyone have any views on this as a first time ebike???? I have a small flat and so the ability to flatten it seems really helpful but I'm not great on comparing all the technical specs!

Winora Radius Plain – 2016

Technical Specifications
Frame shape Compact
Frame Aluminium 6061, hydroformed
Motor Yamaha PW, 36 V, 400 Wh
Battery Lithium Ion, 36 V, 400 Wh
Display Yamaha LCD
Fork Aluminium 6061
Gear Sram iMotion, 3-gear
Crank Winora Alu
Chain KMC X1
Rims Rodi FW-Disc
Tires Schwalbe Big Ben
Saddle Royal Arco
Seatpost Alu links
Handle Bar Endorphins XLC
Stem Speedlifter twist pro
Brake Tektro Auriga disc brake
Pedals F80 Faltpedal
Lighting Spanninga kendo; B & M Xeltec
Kick Stand Aluminum side stand, rear

Weight battery 2,95 kg
Weight charger 950 g
Weight 20.5 Kg
Available colours black

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks ok spec wise but limited to 3 gears so more of a ride round town bike if that is what you want it for.

winora is haibike so price is about right tho id still try get the price down a bit if you can.

bearfacedclaire

Aug 24, 2016
London
looks ok spec wise but limited to 3 gears so more of a ride round town bike if that is what you want it for.

winora is haibike so price is about right tho id still try get the price down a bit if you can.
Thanks! I want it for cycling to work in London, around London and canal towpaths etc. I can get one for £1345- does that sound reasonable???

• Agree
Reactions: IR772

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bearfacedclaire

Aug 24, 2016
London
the link i found it was £1749 so for that price it is a bargain tbh.

just the motor and batt will not be far off that price on there own ;)
Yeah it's 20% off on 50cycles and they have an xmas 10% off in addition to that.. only problem is they are low in stock already and cant get down to test ride :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
at that price they will not hang around for very long so if you can see if you can leave a deposit on one to hold it.

tho for what you want it for and price i cant see anything else that is as good.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My AVE is similar, 20" balloon tyres and crank drive.

It hasn't quite got the comfort of a big wheel bike, but I've done plenty of 50+ mile rides on it.

The smaller tyres make it handier in traffic, and also transmit more torque due to the smaller circumference.

The Winora only has three speeds, but I reckon it will still climb well.

Central London is fairly flat, although you have got the likes of Swain's Lane a bit further out in Highgate and some lumpy bits in the south around Sydenham.

About £1,400 is a decent price, they are usually £1,750 or more.

https://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/winora-bikes/radius_plain.html?gclid=CPSJ3_mYl9ECFQoo0wod7AoG0A

bearfacedclaire

Aug 24, 2016
London

It hasn't quite got the comfort of a big wheel bike, but I've done plenty of 50+ mile rides on it.

The smaller tyres make it handier in traffic, and also transmit more torque due to the smaller circumference.

Central London is fairly flat, although you have got the likes of Swain's Lane a bit further out in Highgate and some lumpy bits in the south around Sydenham.

https://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/winora-bikes/radius_plain.html?gclid=CPSJ3_mYl9ECFQoo0wod7AoG0A
Thanks! Yeah I'm not envisaging tackling massive hills- maybe a few bumps. My main concern is getting away at traffic and start stop for lights etc- I fear the wobble of getting going and then flopping into a car or something! Hoping the little tyres might help me in start/ stop traffic and nipping in and out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks! Yeah I'm not envisaging tackling massive hills- maybe a few bumps. My main concern is getting away at traffic and start stop for lights etc- I fear the wobble of getting going and then flopping into a car or something! Hoping the little tyres might help me in start/ stop traffic and nipping in and out.
The Winora will be easier to handle and be nippier in traffic than a big wheel bike.

What it isn't is any lighter than a big wheel bike.

Not a problem when you are up and running, but it will need a firmer hand at rest and for any (wo)manhandling of the bike you need to do.

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks OK to me.

Just in case you don't know, you can flatten the handlebars of any bike with an allen key. You just loosen 2 screws - takes about 20 seconds, or maybe 10 seconds longer than the quick release mechanism on that bike. If you think a key is too inconvenient, a pair of these should do it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wing-knob-nut-M5-M6-M8-all-sizes-thumb-screw-Drill-Router-Bolt-Dewalt-Saw-Grip-/282272605704?var=&hash=item41b8c22608:m:m-HQTUoeIhKBPpYk0t1yWxg

Also, you can change any bike's pedals to folding ones so that they go flat too. They cost about £5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Plastic-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Folding-Pedals-Non-slip-Black-WS-/262739884307?hash=item3d2c847913:g:aMIAAOSwu1VW2~PA

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for the wing nut d8veh I have been thinking about those recently.

To answer the original question: if I had the money I would have one of those bikes I think they are fab! Great looking (you'll need a good lock or two) and with the Yamaha motor. You could probably turn it into a 6 speed by adding a second chainring on the front!

bearfacedclaire

Aug 24, 2016
London
The Winora will be easier to handle and be nippier in traffic than a big wheel bike.

What it isn't is any lighter than a big wheel bike.

Not a problem when you are up and running, but it will need a firmer hand at rest and for any (wo)manhandling of the bike you need to do.
Is 19.7kg quite heavy for an ebike??

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope about average

bearfacedclaire

Aug 24, 2016
London

Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I have been told that these are not so good for taller riders- I'm 5'8''

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I have been told that these are not so good for taller riders- I'm 5'8''
I'm about 5ft 11".

My AVE fits fine.

The Winora should fit you OK, plenty of saddle height adjustment so that's bound to be suitable.

A very tall rider might find the handlebars a bit low, but that's not you.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
It's a great bike ideal for the city, very good price if you can get it for that