Winter gloves

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not really certain how you would classify the following gloves, but upon recommendation, I have just bought a pair of Shire Neoprene Yard gloves for £17.00 from a local tack shop.
Using them today for the first time, they became too hot to wear comfortably, and I'm hoping that because of that, they might actually be pretty good when things actually do turn a bit colder. They are reasonably thick, but I suspect that they should still be thin enough, to be able to wear them under a second pair of gloves.

https://www.shiresequestrian.com/neoprene-yard-gloves-19262

I also bought a pair of these for £7.50 and from a quick look, they should work very well in combination with the above. I can't see them being a lot of good for freezing cold rides, but they certainly look and feel up to the job of mild winter days. Time will tell.

https://www.rbequestrian.co.uk/1072271/products/shires-winter-warm-long-cuff-gloves-unisex-black.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkp7i-9_S1wIVpbvtCh2qSAUUEAQYASABEgLiN_D_BwE

Thankyou EddiePJ, for sharing this with us. How would you rate Sealskinz to the Neoprene gloves? I know they differ in price.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That is both a very good question, and also a slightly embarrassing one. Embarrassing, as I had forgotten that I have a pair of Sealskinz gloves tucked away in a draw in the shed.

It is currently far too warm here, to require anything other than the Stihl work gloves that I generally wear on the bike, but as soon as things turn colder, I'm more than happy to wear one of each as an experiment to find out. The Stihl work gloves are superb for general use, but absolutely useless if conditions turn wet, as the palms and fingers act like a sponge. Not at all pleasant.

My only current reservation about the neoprene gloves, is tear resistance. Having never seen or tried something like this, they look slightly venerable. I don't how they will cope if snagged on brambles or gorse. On the plus side, there isn't so much of either to worry about at this time of year, so that may not be an issue. I do think that it is worthy of note though.

Sorry that I cannot currently be of more help in answering your question, but I shall work on I. :)

As an aside, my best winter gloves, which admittedly I don't tend to use on the bike, are a pair of Ebay bargain, ex Norwegian army mitts, that have a thumb and trigger finger. Your hands can be stone cold frozen, but put those on, and it seemingly only takes minutes to have really toasty warm hands. I tend to keep them in my van for work use. Not to use for work, but just to put heat back into my hands. I'm sure that I only paid about £8.00 for them, but can't currently find any more pairs on Ebay, in order to post a link.

edit... These look to be almost identical to my mitts. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-German-Army-Mitts-Military-Surplus-Trigger-finger-Mittens-Olive-WITH-LINER/271804125394?epid=926588158&hash=item3f48c9d0d2:g:FBYAAOSwv0tVAfU8

On second thought, mine are fur lined, as these are. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-Army-Extreme-Cold-Weather-Mitts-Fur-Lined-3-Finger-Gloves-In-Olive-USED/112591465612?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49138&meid=942a781981974a99929d1b49350beb98&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=111912999618&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

Last edited:
Reactions: MikelBikel

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
In Temps just below freezing a couple of weeks back I tried thin gloves with a pair of disposable rubber gloves over them then windproof fleece gloves on top, nothing too tight.
My hands have never been as warm and the disposable gloves if carefully removed can be re-used.
I was using one of my non electric bikes so that may have helped a bit.
Dave.
What were the thin under gloves like...wool, or something else? Just curious because I want to try this as an experiment and maybe compare with a lobster glove. Do they have to be very thin to get the disposables on top?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I use silk undergloves, meant for skiing then nitrile disposable* , then either crab or full finger aldi winter gloves. The nitrile are for perfect waterproofing as the gloves ain't (though advertised as such)

*i always have tons of these due an immune disorder, get through about 20 pairs a day !

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
What were the thin under gloves like...wool, or something else?
Just the thin and stretchy "one size fits all" type, I've had them for years so not sure what they are made from but I think mainly synthetic. Probably best to make sure the disposables aren't too tight.
Dave.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I've only had these for a few days and have just tested them indoors. As Eddie mentioned it's not been cold enough for outside warm weather glove wear yet.

They're noticeably warm to the touch on the outside of the glove, when not being worn, and much smaller and lighter than I'd imagined they would be. I thought they might be big and bulky when I ordered them.

Having said that, they're well padded and warm enough even without the battery plugged in. Water wicks away and rolls off quite well. Although after a minute of this heavy flow the finger tips started to soak. That might not occur with a clenched cycle grip. The back of the glove stayed dry throughout.

I wore them for 5 minutes indoors before they became uncomfortably warm. When the battery's plugged in the artificial heat can be felt within a minute or so. The back of the heated glove feels nice against cold ears and cheeks. :)

DSC01626.JPG DSC01628.JPG DSC01632.JPG DSC01636.JPG DSC01638.JPG DSC01640.JPG DSC01646.JPG

They cost 30 quid and came from China. Click to view. They were £25 when I bought them three weeks ago. The length of time it took for them to arrive.

Last edited:

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
As already mentioned, ski gloves are way ahead, and if you do a Google image search of "Bicycle handlebar muffs" there are some good ideas. I had a pair made from 2 litre plastic milk containers that were excellent for reducing wind chill.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I've only had these for a few days and have just tested them indoors. As Eddie mentioned it's not been cold enough for outside warm weather glove wear yet.

They're noticeably warm to the touch on the outside of the glove, when not being worn, and much smaller and lighter than I'd imagined they would be. I thought they might be big and bulky when I ordered them.

Having said that, they're well padded and warm enough even without the battery plugged in. Water wicks away and rolls off quite well. Although after a minute of this heavy flow the finger tips started to soak. That might not occur with a clenched cycle grip. The back of the glove stayed dry throughout.

I wore them for 5 minutes indoors before they became uncomfortably warm. When the battery's plugged in the artificial heat can be felt within a minute or so. The back of the heated glove feels nice against cold ears and cheeks. :)
Will be interesting to see if they keep the finger tips warm on a frosty cold day.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'm using a pair of decathlon snowboarding gloves. Really warm, but not been that cold yet, and have good protection on knuckles etc..
I,ve got a pair of silk undergloves for when it turns really cold...

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I recently bought some work gloves from Lidl (£6.99) They are insulated so have been excellent for this recent cold weather, but they have level three protectection, so i guess they'd be good in an off where the first thing to touch down is always you hands.
Sounds like they would be too work like for cycling, but they are really just like ordinary winter gloves to wear.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

View attachment 22330 View attachment 22331 View attachment 22332 View attachment 22333 View attachment 22336 View attachment 22334 View attachment 22335

They cost 30 quid and came from China. Click to view. They were £25 when I bought them three weeks ago. The length of time it took for them to arrive.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

View attachment 22330 View attachment 22331 View attachment 22332 View attachment 22333 View attachment 22336 View attachment 22334 View attachment 22335

Hello LeighPing,

How are you? I am thinking of buying these heated gloves. I wouldn't mind a quick update from you. Are they worth it? What size did you order Med/Large and are they comfy for riding ? Thank you.

MS.

• Informative

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

Also, to add how does it switch on/off and how long do the batteries last for? Sorry.

MS.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I've got those type of hands that soon freeze without gloves.

There's no on or off switch. You plug the battery in to the wired connector and it switches on that way. The other morning I took the dog for a walk whilst wearing those eGloves (battery warmed). Initially I wasn't convinced that they were working to full capacity, because I'd previously worn them in 10c temps, when they soon became uncomfortably warm. So I tested that by leaving one glove on, and putting the other in my pocket.

I soon came to realise that they were doing a good job in a bitterly cold environment. My gloveless hand quickly had that cold, clammy, refrigerated chicken feeling whilst the other felt like I was still at home with the the central heating on, but not heated, if that makes sense?

10 minutes later, when I put the electrically warmed glove, from my pocket, onto my cold ungloved hand I immediately felt it absorbing the artificial heat source. It soon warmed up and that's the important difference with eGloves (or whatever you prefer to call them). They have an external heatsource. One that doesn't rely on you warming up the glove to warm you back.

For just being out and about in the cold, dog walking, snow balling and such, I can't fault them. As for biking with them and how they perform in keeping the driven wind chill factor away. I've not tried that yet. Maybe later, as I've only worn them for an hour or so.

snow.jpg

Features:
- Waterproof, suitable for mountain climb, ride motors and so on.
- Keep your hands warm, you will never be cold this winter!
- Long-lasting warm.
- Skid design, adjustable strap,elastic closing, convience and easy to use.
- Suitable for people whose middle finger to the wrist about 18 cm.
- Heating parts: Back of Four fingers

Specification:
- Color: orange with black
- Materials: Anti-splash surface finish fabrics; PU leather palm skid
- Voltage: 3.7V
- Power: 2.5W
- Charge time: Approx. 3 hours each battery
- Power:2 x 2000MAh Li-ion Battery (Battery including)
- Size: M -- 11.5 x 28.5 cm / 4.53'' x 11.22'' (W x L)
- Keep Warming Time: About 3-4 Hours.(Depend on the temperature of the surrounding environment and usage)
- Heating constant temperature:50 degree
- Net weight: 284 g

These were a pair of inexpensive egloves. So I wasn't too fussed if they worked or not. Some, like these in the link below, cost an arm and a leg. You'd hope that they would really perform well at those prices.

https://www.sealskinz.com/gloves/extreme-cold-weather-heated-gloves.htm

1380x1453.fit.extremeheated.jpg

Last edited:

Advertisers