Winter gloves

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For winter riding I wear a pair of large Altura gloves, reasonably thick but not waterproof. Underneath I wear thin silk skiing base layer gloves, on a recent 44 mile ride out (- 4 wind chill and sheet ice) my hands never got cold and were toasty for all of the ride.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I've got those type of hands that soon freeze without gloves.

There's no on or off switch. You plug the battery in to the wired connector and it switches on that way. The other morning I took the dog for a walk whilst wearing those eGloves (battery warmed). Initially I wasn't convinced that they were working to full capacity, because I'd previously worn them in 10c temps, when they soon became uncomfortably warm. So I tested that by leaving one glove on, and putting the other in my pocket.

I soon came to realise that they were doing a good job in a bitterly cold environment. My gloveless hand quickly had that cold, clammy, refrigerated chicken feeling whilst the other felt like I was still at home with the the central heating on, but not heated, if that makes sense?

10 minutes later, when I put the electrically warmed glove, from my pocket, onto my cold ungloved hand I immediately felt it absorbing the artificial heat source. It soon warmed up and that's the important difference with eGloves (or whatever you prefer to call them). They have an external heatsource. One that doesn't rely on you warming up the glove to warm you back.

For just being out and about in the cold, dog walking, snow balling and such, I can't fault them. As for biking with them and how they perform in keeping the driven wind chill factor away. I've not tried that yet. Maybe later, as I've only worn them for an hour or so.

View attachment 22547

Features:
- Waterproof, suitable for mountain climb, ride motors and so on.
- Keep your hands warm, you will never be cold this winter!
- Long-lasting warm.
- Skid design, adjustable strap,elastic closing, convience and easy to use.
- Suitable for people whose middle finger to the wrist about 18 cm.
- Heating parts: Back of Four fingers

Specification:
- Color: orange with black
- Materials: Anti-splash surface finish fabrics; PU leather palm skid
- Voltage: 3.7V
- Power: 2.5W
- Charge time: Approx. 3 hours each battery
- Power:2 x 2000MAh Li-ion Battery (Battery including)
- Size: M -- 11.5 x 28.5 cm / 4.53'' x 11.22'' (W x L)
- Keep Warming Time: About 3-4 Hours.(Depend on the temperature of the surrounding environment and usage)
- Heating constant temperature:50 degree
- Net weight: 284 g

These were a pair of inexpensive egloves. So I wasn't too fussed if they worked or not. Some, like these in the link below, cost an arm and a leg. You'd hope that they would really perform well at those prices.

https://www.sealskinz.com/gloves/extreme-cold-weather-heated-gloves.htm

View attachment 22548
Hi LeighPing,

Thanks for going through that length thoroughly for me and for others who are also interested in considering buying heated gloves, apart from anotherkiwi who clearly displays his shocking results :D.

I am about 80 percent convinced now and the remaining 20 percent holding me back from clicking that purchase button is that you haven't tried them on the bike yet. Sealskinz are about £145 +pp compared to £30 inc pp is definitely a No! No! For Sealskinz heated gloves, only if the pair could compensate for my home central heating boiler so that can do away from those quarterly bills.

Most likely I would get them and if I do I will let you know. Cheers again LeighPing for your valid time.

MS.

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could put 18650 cells inside the handlebars say 2 each side for 8v and have end caps with usb for the power for the gloves and charging.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
For winter riding I wear a pair of large Altura gloves, reasonably thick but not waterproof. Underneath I wear thin silk skiing base layer gloves, on a recent 44 mile ride out (- 4 wind chill and sheet ice) my hands never got cold and were toasty for all of the ride.
When looking at silk gloves I often see reviews saying they are not real silk. Would you say these look like real silk ones as they don't look like the silk material as I've known it.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
you could put 18650 cells inside the handlebars say 2 each side for 8v and have end caps with usb for the power for the gloves and charging.
I thought of this...and tried it but my bars are 18.6 mm internal diameter. So the buggers won't fit (yes I know 18.5mm cells but with any insulation wrapping and any connection wires it doesn't fly)

My proof of concept was to hook up to the insides of a cheapo usb back up battery (poundland sell them with an alleged 1200mah cell in - about 200 in reality)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Lots of equestrian stuff is useful for us bike peeps, take it from someone who used to teach people how to ride. Multi layers on the body hands and feet only way to keep warm. Inner gloves, with disposable ones, then outer gloves have always worked for me. Neoprene are good, but if your hands get sweaty at all they then get wet and cold.

Advertisers