Winter riding

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Being new to electric bikes this summer, I would like to know if any of the members ride their electric bikes through the winter and what problems, if any arise with the bike itself.

I usually ride my street bike through the winter and so am used to the cold and snow etc but a non electric bike is quite easy to keep maintained.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I rode for the first time last year and will be doing it again this year. If I was still using my CX700 I would get it serviced now. I didn't get it serviced this time last year and my bike was in a right state come March! ..
Brake sensor was just stuck on and lost its stickiness. I used gaffer tape to solve that until my service when it was reconnected with a combination of a sticky pad and a cable tie.
Chain rusted over Christmas and then snapped! Should have cleaned it properly before the christmas break.

I've never had my Street Machine serviced but I haven't been riding it .. so .. not sure if I'll get it serviced ...its in pretty good shape and its more robust than the CX700 with its Rohloff hub and Teflon covered chain ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm a scaredy cat and won't be riding mine once the ground frost and icy roads start. I've had trouble with the wet weather and wheels sliding since I changed my chunky MTB tyres for skinny road slicks, so I just don't want to risk it when the weather gets worse. Can't be bothered to change the tyres back.

I will probably still use the bike during the day on dry days while conditions remain reasonable but I will knock my evening sorting office delivery rides on the head once the temperature plunges until Spring. Will start using the local post office :)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'll let you know how I get on. I've dine many winter on a motorbike but not push bike.
If it gets really bad I might just cycle to the train station

I'm hoping the slower speed and the fact I'm cycling will keep me warm.

I don't think the electric will be any harder to maintain on anhub motor as long as it's cleaned every now and then. There meant to be maintenance free really and so long as the wired and connections don't get worn shouldn't be a problem

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Being new to electric bikes this summer, I would like to know if any of the members ride their electric bikes through the winter and what problems, if any arise with the bike itself.

I usually ride my street bike through the winter and so am used to the cold and snow etc but a non electric bike is quite easy to keep maintained.

Steve
The main things to be aware of are reduced range / performance from the battery in cold conditions and to keep the bike free from salt, its a killer. I just slosh my bike down with clean cold water paying particular attention to the chain, sprockets, wheel rims and brakes. I do this as often as I can.

I don't venture out when there is snow / ice on the ground. It's just asking for a grazed face.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
The ice is really scary. I've come off twice in the past. Apart from damage to yourself you also have to consider damage to an expensive ebike. It isn't worth risking it and this year I think I will take the local transport on icy days.

I left my PC parked up exposed to a sub zero wind last winter and when I switched on there was nothing. After that I always parked in a sheltered place.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Probably best to remove the batteries and take them indoors! I'm hoping the backpack keeps the batteries toasty!

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a hub motor, make sure that where the wire comes out of the motor, it goes down a bit before going up so that the rain and salty water can't run down it into the motor otherwise it will quickly make a rusty mess inside your motor and seize it solid. You might also want to add a bit of extra tape or sealant to where it comes out to be doubly sure.

I want to ride my bike in the winter, but in the rain I get a dirty stripe up my face from spray off the front wheel so I want mudguareds. I now have Rochshox Series3 Float forks that have no fixing points on the brace or the legs. Also, the two subframe braces move relative to each other so I can't fix to both of them. See photo belowAny ideas that can help me are welcome!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've had no special issues when riding in snow, the main problem is stopping and staying upright. With the right tyres it's great fun.

Jimmythe1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2011
Stockport
I want to ride my bike in the winter, but in the rain I get a dirty stripe up my face from spray off the front wheel so I want mudguareds. I now have Rochshox Series3 Float forks that have no fixing points on the brace or the legs. Also, the two subframe braces move relative to each other so I can't fix to both of them. See photo belowAny ideas that can help me are welcome!

I tried using the type of mudguard that clips into the head tube of a suspension fork, I found they are too short and too far away from the tyre so I still got mud in the face.

Instead, for winter use, I've fitted a mudguard to the Rockshox forks fitted to my e-bike. I used two p-clips on the stanchions and made an aluminium bracket to fix the mudguard to the lower cross-brace of the fork using nylon cable ties. Works very well as its closer to the tyre than the head tube fit. I did have to fit a smaller tyre to get enough clearance.

For the last couple of winters on my standard bike I've used studded tyres, very good for frosty mornings, however they do noticeably increase the rolling resistance. Since last winter they seem to be more widely available.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Are we actually going to get a winter this time?

D

Deleted member 4366

NRG and Jimmy, thanks for your suggestions. I was just about to order the M1/M2 combination but I did have reservations about the distance from the wheel, but they do seem to be the best that you can fit directly to a bike. Luckily (?) I couldn't find my debit card when I got to the on-line checkout. However, now I've just ordered two pairs of SKS Beavertails XL to see if I can adapt them in the way that Jimmy suggests - maybe a back one on the front for extra length. They'll look horrible, but as long as hey keep the salt spray off me and my bike, I'll be happy. If They don't fit, I may go back to the M1/M2s.

I've also ordered a pair of Continental Tpo Contact tyres 26 x 1.9. Are they any good, or are there better winter commuting tyres for grip on salty roads?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've also ordered a pair of Continental Tpo Contact tyres 26 x 1.9. Are they any good, or are there better winter commuting tyres for grip on salty roads?
That depends if you ordered the Top Contact Winter II tyres or the summer ones. If you did get the winter ones then I haven't tried them but the previous version was pretty good, If I didn't have Marathon Winters already I'd be buying the TCWII.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Yes we are going to get a winter........and soon.

I think my bike will stay under wraps for the winter and my MTB will come out on those bright, crisp sunny weekend mornings.

Steve

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Fit these...

and you will be fine in this...

We will be cycling everyday through our fourth winter on the school run, only missed a few days in the first winter when I fell off on ice. Replaced the electric bike with an electric trike and schwalbe marathon+ mtb tyres, then on the smaller wheeled replacement trike, studded tyres. It is a bit unnerving watching cars sliding about, but just have to be as aware of other road users as always.
Nigel

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I might just fit some of these...

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Last year I went out in the snow, with the original Chinese nylon tyres. A bit of wheelspin when starting off, and the snow was compacted into hard lumps which made it much more difficult to keep a straight line, and it was worrying. On nice plain sheets of ice the only problem was when I put my feet down with the bike stopped, I wouldn't have been able to dismount safely without slipping. However I still did my 8 mile rides without falling off or dropping the bike (though it took longer), and I will have no hesitation to do so again.

I will stretch out my legs and use my feet as stabilisers, I've seen scooter riders do that on ice/snow.