winter riding

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
Hi,

Does anyone out there ride when the weather is very cold? I'm thinking 5am, frosty (-1 to -5)?
I do shift work and will be biking to work for 6am, 2pm and 10pm so my question is does the cold weather have any effect on the ebike battery or motor? range/power?

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
Hi,

Does anyone out there ride when the weather is very cold? I'm thinking 5am, frosty (-1 to -5)?
I do shift work and will be biking to work for 6am, 2pm and 10pm so my question is does the cold weather have any effect on the ebike battery or motor? range/power?
Yes to both. I can't give you specific figures but the cold does decrease both range and performance but not dreadfully. My bike has definatly got a bit slower with the cold weather, at guess I would say a 5% reduction in performance. I still managed a 25 mile hilly ride in the cold recently and had amps to spare. It's a 36v 10ah battery. This lowering of performance could probably be avoided by keeping the bike ( or the battery) in the warm when not riding.

The limiting factor will probably be how long the rider can stand the cold rather than how far the battery will last!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi,

yeah man, I love it! Well last year I was riding to the sorting office every night well into winter until it started getting icy.. that's when i won't ride. I need like 3 coats though, woolie hat, gloves, everything..and I'm still whining like a b*tch about how cold it is.. I dunno what it is, but I think riding electric in the freezing winter is just...fun..very different to riding a normal bike..you don't notice the cold as much, prolly cuz you arrive A to B so much quicker..and don't think so much about pedalling and shivering :D

D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to be warm, get one of these reflective jackets that have a quilt lining and elsaticated cuffs. i'm not kidding when i say that you have to unzip a bit to cool down when riding in sub-zero temperatures. Also, look how it lights up at night. Compare it with the light from the back light. They only cost about £10 from surplus stores.

I've never noticed any difference with my bike at these temperature, but I have more than adequate power and range for my 15 mile each way commute.

Last edited by a moderator:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
If you want to be warm, get one of these reflective jackets that have a quilt lining and elsaticated cuffs. i'm not kidding when i say that you have to unzip a bit to cool down when riding in sub-zero temperatures. Also, look how it lights up at night. Compare it with the light from the back light. They only cost about £10 from surplus stores.

I've never noticed any difference with my bike at these temperature, but I have more than adequate power and range for my 15 mile each way commute.
I know what you mean! I got the exact type of jacket given to me by my brother for free, so I'm all set this winter..it's basically two coats in one..the one inside zips out and is all padded and very well..the outer one is weather proof and very reflective..long like the coppers.

That's some light you got there! I want one :p

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Hi,

Cold? B*gger that, I'm far too nesh these days :)
Done my share of freezing my nuts off and don't want to do it for fun any more. However, as to your query, the cold will certainly affect your battery power and reserve - by a known factor you can look up, depending on your type of battery.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Hi,

Yes - I ride in the cold no problem. With appropriate tyres will happily do ice too. I bring my battery inside the house to charge it in these temps (the garage is too cold for it to be efficient trying to charge it in there now). The range doesn't seem to be affected much, if at all.

yeah man, I love it! Well last year I was riding to the sorting office every night well into winter until it started getting icy.. that's when i won't ride. I need like 3 coats though, woolie hat, gloves, everything..and I'm still whining like a b*tch about how cold it is.. I dunno what it is, but I think riding electric in the freezing winter is just...fun..very different to riding a normal bike..you don't notice the cold as much, prolly cuz you arrive A to B so much quicker..and don't think so much about pedalling and shivering :D
I absolutely love cycling when it's cold and dry too. Far prefer it to when it's damp. Morphix, the 3 coat thing is terrible ! I think you just need some proper thermals from Santa. Don't much like cycling in even my smock (Paramo), let alone 3 coats as I wind up damp, cold and clammy underneath - which means I get cold when I stop cycling for sure as I have to 'vent' a lot to get rid of all the excess heat build-up - and feel like the Michelin man when cycling :eek:

Been wearing this combo when it's really cold (i.e. when I go out late at night) and can't recommend this gear enough... yes they're a bit more but these things last for years and years. Let's face it if you spend lots of time on your bike your comfort is really important and if you're comfortable on your bike you'll want to ride it more (the old chicken-and-egg thing !) :

1st : Wiggle | Craft Active Extreme Wind Stopper Base Layer | Base Layers

[Obviates the need for a windstopper layer on the outside - I actually use a short-sleeved version but a L/S means warmer arms)

2nd : Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Freeze 1/2 Zip Turtle: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

[incredibly warm and lightweight - double up if you're really worried but you'll wind up taking one off if it's above -3 degrees and you ride any significant distance or hills ! Critically for me, it has long enough arms in small / x-Small sizes to work as most don't and looks good / 'normal' as a top when you take your outer layers off]

3rd : Smartwool "mid-layer" cycling jersey (Montane - discountinued)

Usually that is all. If it's really windy a lightweight shell on the outside seals you in but I find it too warm and dampness builds up inside - the windstopper baselayer underneath keeps out the wind chill plenty.

Obviously you need decent gloves, socks & footwear else your fingers and toes will freeze even if your core body is warm. Because the thermals are close-fitting they keep your core really warm. It took me ages to "trust" this gear and was putting coats / jackets over the top for a while trying to pluck up the courage to risk them without when the wind was so icy.

Personally wear the above stuff with thermal roubaix shorts just covering my knees and overshorts (not being one for exposed lycra !) even down to sub-zero and do not feel cold or uncomfortable but a lot of people would likely opt for tights / trousers instead. To be honest you don't really need them and if you don't wear them on the bike it means you can put them on fresh when you arrive at the other end if you need to.

Should say I am only 55kg, have next to no body fat for insulation and am very susceptible to feeling cold normally - so if these clothes keep me warm and dry they should keep most people warm and dry ! You can find those thermals at discount prices by shopping around .... found it extremely hard at first to swallow the cost of these baselayers even at sale prices and thought outer jackets which cost at least as much, felt "substantial" and were a must and had to be worth more outlay. Until I actually tried them and realized how worth the money they really are - and far nicer than putting on a bulky Winter jacket (imho !)

Feel so much more comfortable and happy to ride more actively wearing lighter clothes on a bike in cold weather, once I got over the mistaken belief that the thicker the jacket the warmer it must keep you. You don't have to be riding fast for it to work either - on the contrary, the faster you ride the greater the windchill.

PS - a merino balaclava or one of these 2-part kits is a lovely little present for someone who rides in the cold ... when you put them on they feel blooming gorgeous, you can pull down the neckwarmer or pull it up to make a full balaclava in the coldest blasts and if your neck and head are toasty it helps avoid those Winter colds too :

Helmet Hat & Neckwarmer Pack - Socks + Hats - Embers Merino

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I endorse what you say, 103ALEX 1 ,thin thermal layers is the best way to keep warm on the bike,top off with a 'premium' waterproof breathable jkt for when it is wet, you are warmer & more comfortable and is worth the investment.

Road conditions when it is cold with high humidity can be treacherous, but if sub zero ,it generally is safe to ride because it is 'dry.'

is it worth while getting a cosy for the battery?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I can't really comment yet on the OP's main question, (electric bike performance at zero temps), but the talk about jackets has prompted me to add something that may be useful.

Keep an eye on LIDL for their hi-vis yellow motorcycle jackets. They only seem to have them on once a year or so, but they're perfect for Winter cycling. I'm pretty sure it was £19.99.

Very warm and well padded, they have some extra features that I've not found in other jackets. The sleeves can be unzipped and removed. leaving a jerkin to help cool down a bit if the weather gets a bit warmer during a ride.

The party piece though, is that they're fully reversible, with pockets and poppers on the inside and outside, and the inside is black, so when you get to the shops you can quickly turn it inside out and not look like Mr Blobby whilst walking round the shopping centre. :)

back.jpg
front.jpg
reversed.jpg

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Only thing I would add is if its below zero don't leave the battery on the bike if its left outside when you get to work...they don't like being frozen...cool is OK frozen is not.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
I ride everyday , cold ,rain ,snow .
Even wear my heated skiing glove and heated boots when in minuses

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I ride every weekday whatever weather

Personally I swear by Gore jackets. Utterly waterproof and wind proof. If very cold then I wear a fleece underneath. Plus gloves and one of those buff things which keeps neck /ears/face warm ( essentail baldy man item in my book!)

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
I too cycle in rain, hail or shine and I must say that along with good jacket, wooly hat and gloves, my most important piece of clothing is my "snood".

Weather goes a bit mild, then pull it down to become a neck warmer - instant fashion icon.

Weather turns crappy - up it goes and I look like a really rubbish ninja, peering out from my black letter box. But I care not a jot
It also keeps my nose warm and stops me arriving at work with an Alex Ferguson red nose - I'm from Glasgow so I've already got the accent.

"Yes, vewy vewy happy with the snood "

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Supply of spare studs arrived FOC from Schwalbe yesterday. After two slides today I wish I had fitted the tyres last night!

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I ride every weekday whatever weather

Personally I swear by Gore jackets. Utterly waterproof and wind proof. If very cold then I wear a fleece underneath. Plus gloves and one of those buff things which keeps neck /ears/face warm ( essentail baldy man item in my book!)
Neoshell is now the waterproof/breathable fabric of choice.

I used to be able to build up a sweat in my Gore Bike wear goretex jack. Now I have a Marmot Zion neoshell jacket that damp feeling is a thing of the past. I can't see me buying another jacket - ever.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012