Dec 2, 2008
Reviewer: Rose

Purchased From: Atmosphere Kites, Bristol

Purchase Price: £1,050

Time Owned: 5 months but hardly rode it for first 3 months

Local Terrain: Moderate hills - very up and down, more hills than flat
Gmaps Pedometer

Strengths:
The furthest round trip I've done is 20 miles, and the capacity indicator lights showed half full when I was half way. When I reached home only the red light showed. I don't know how much further I could have gone, but I'm unlikely to want to do more than that. I use the motor with pedalling, but switch off the motor for downhills or on the few flat bits.
Each 10 miles took approximately 50 minutes, 15 minutes faster than on my ordinary bike.
Previously after my round trip I would arrive home hot, tired and aching, not having enjoyed the final quarter of the trip; on my Wisper I arrived home feeling comfortable yet exhilerated.
I find the kick stand very useful - I've never had one before.
Although at first I thought the bike looked too big for me (I'm 5ft 2), and it is certainly heavier and more cumbersome than my previous ordinary bike (Trek 7.2 FX Women's Specific Design), now that I'm used to it it's OK, and the more upright riding position feels better than the position on my previous bike.
The staff at Wisper are very helpful, and on Pedelecs forums there's lots of information and advice about Wispers from other members.
It is a step-through, although most electric bikes with a long range are not.

Weaknesses:
It arrived without a manual. I had to print one off Wisper's (previous) website although it was for a different model. (This and other weaknesses might have improved since with the 2009 version.)
The green on-off button does not work - but I probably wouldn't use it anyway.
Bottom gear doesn't work properly - but I'm not bothered about the gears and use the motor where I would otherwise use lower gear.
The back brake is poor, in spite of it having been adjusted as well as it can be.
It's useful having a bell, but I have very small hands and find it quite hard to make it 'ding'.
I have the hinged seat type, and it's sometimes uncomfortable on the sort of bumpy lanes I use. (But there is a choice of a suspension one.)
My husband who weighs 14 stone sometimes rides my Wisper. He doesn't feel the motor does much to help him along, and it doesn't take him all the way up some hills. (I'm always aware of the power from the motor, and it takes me up any local hill with no problem, so I presume the difference is due to him being 4 stone heavier than me.)
I believe my bike is meant to be for both sexes, but only one size is made. When my husband rides it, although he extends the seat post to its maximum, he finds the saddle too low and says it needs to extend another 4 inches to be the same height as on his own bike; he is 6ft 1.
My (step-through) model doesn't look as good as other models of Wisper.

Summary:
The reason I bought it was mainly for recreational rides of about 20 miles in the countryside in the fresh air, to enjoy the pleasure and exercise of cycling without the discomforts, and also for specific journeys to be quicker than on my ordinary bike.
My Wisper certainly does what I wanted it for and I like it very much, but I haven't given it 10 out of 10 because of the back brake and the bottom gear.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8