Wisper 836 FE

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Hi Guys ,

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting myself the best folder I can afford. I already have a cheap sunlover folder with 16" wheels and for my kind of recreational cycling around the Norfolk countryside I find it great fun. Also have a full sized MTB ebike but the smaller bike is just so much more fun and easy to pedal with no power on the flat. I think a 20" folder would be my ideal Ebike.

Ok my question is where can I find some info about the wisper 836 fe I can see them for sale but they are not listed on the wisper web site so I have turned to you guys for some help. I know David from wisper lurks here so maybe he can point me to the info.

I am particularly interested to understand if I can turn the assist off whilst riding - i read a review that said you had to get off the bike to do this.

Does anyone here have any experience with the 836 fe - what is it like to ride ?

can anyone tell me what the key differences between the 806fe and the 836fe ?

Someone told me there had been some videos here of the 806/836 posted but been searching and cant find the links - can anyone point me to the right thread ?

Oki thats quite enough questions for one day - If someone can point me in the right direction I can read the rest for myself :D

Thanks for your help guys

Phil

Eve

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2010
806fe/836/806 Alpino

Hi, want to know the same things myself. Would like to know the difference between these folders and does the latest wisper folder have throttle only? Looking at buying a 705se but being swayed towards a folder if it has a throttle, if not can one be added later? Anywhere to try these bikes around Glasgow area? Tried a couple cheaper folders, one very uncomfortable and the other very comfy with a throttle but extremely ugly! Now looking at wispers. Thanks for any info, Eve

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
loaded this on another thread earlier.....

YouTube - Wisper Electric Bike unbeatable!!!

the latest 806/806 Alpino are 36 volt the earlier bikes 24 volt

dealers north of the border:

Scotland

Dundee

Lawntech
Full Service Dealer
Unit 20 Manhattan Works
Dundonald Street
Dundee
Scotland
DD3 7PY
01382 459459
Dundee@wisperbikes.com

Edinburgh

Edinburgh Cycle Co
Full Service Wisper Centre
133 Granton Road
Edinburgh
EH5 3NJ

0131 553 4900
Edinburgh@wisperbikes.com

Rutherglen

FreeFlow Bikes Ltd
Wisper Retailer
Unit 5
South Cathkin Farm
Rutherglen
G73 5RG
0141 632 2733
South.glasgow@wisperbikes.com

Last edited:

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
806 - is 24V 9A

836 - is 36V 9A

806 Alpino - is 36V 9A but with Alfine gears if i'm not wrong

best regs

Alex

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
iZip Via Mezza Enlightened / Santa Cruz

Hi, my main e-bike is a DIY'ed Brompton, but I quite enjoy my wife's iZip Via Mezza Enlightened (now renamed Santa Cruz, has front suspension and torque sensor with 3 power levels, but doesn't have throttle anymore). It's cheaper than the Wisper equivalent but to be honest I think the UK-based after-sales support plays in favor of Wisper. I wrote a review here:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5287-new-e-bike-my-stable-izip-via-mezza-enlightened.html#post67594

Cheers, Dan

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Thanks for all the info guys...:)

phil

dicklaiwisper

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2008
36V 9ah black paint folding bike names 805fe

806 - is 24V 9A

836 - is 36V 9A

806 Alpino - is 36V 9A but with Alfine gears if i'm not wrong

best regs

Alex

Correct, in 2009, the 806fe folding bike was with 24V 9A battery.
We updated this 806fe to a 36V 9A battery in 2010, but named it 805fe. So Wisper has two range of bike(5 range and 6 range). 5 range like 805fe/705se/905se, 6 range bike like 806Alpino, 706Alpino,906Alpino, 906xc Tourer. 5 range with derailleur systems,6 range bike with Alfine gear box.

805fe has the pedal assist on/off button in the front pannel, due to the "H" pedal assist output 100% power(same effection as throttle, but you need keep pedalling), when you ride at this level, you don't need throttle. This bike with 16 gears, cean reach 25km/h easily. Strong hill climbing ability too.

All the best,

Dick Lai

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Hi ,

Thanks for the info....

So as I understand it ....

836FE is now available but it seems no-one here so far has tried one.
It is 36v 9Ah
There is an on/off switch on the handlebars to effectively turn off the assist if required
It does not have a throttle , chain wheel guard, computer or lights :(

Does it have user selectable levels of assist ?:confused:
How does the candescence sensor work in practise is it an all or nothing type of assist ?:confused:

I am a little concerned that wisper don`t seem to be telling anyone about this model and it seems not to be widely available from the usual wisper dealers. Is this due to supply problems or quality issues.:rolleyes:

dicklaiwisper

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2008
805fe has the front light which power from the bike battery

Hi ,

Thanks for the info....

So as I understand it ....

836FE is now available but it seems no-one here so far has tried one.
It is 36v 9Ah
There is an on/off switch on the handlebars to effectively turn off the assist if required
It does not have a throttle , chain wheel guard, computer or lights :(

Does it have user selectable levels of assist ?:confused:
How does the candescence sensor work in practise is it an all or nothing type of assist ?:confused:

I am a little concerned that wisper don`t seem to be telling anyone about this model and it seems not to be widely available from the usual wisper dealers. Is this due to supply problems or quality issues.:rolleyes:
805fe has the front light which power from the bike battery. It has 3 assistances option(L at 40%, M at 80%, H at 100%) Refer the picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think what needs answering is which model folders have a throttle......

Leesome

Feb 8, 2010
Just got 43miles round Scottish glens, plenty big inclines all on 36v 750w 20ah lifepo4, 20" alloy folder. Throttle took just enough of the bite from the legs, excellent day out. Should include the rucksack and waterproofs, spares, fair load and no complaints.

Eve

Apr 29, 2010
806 throttle

Hi, sorry still confused about history of 805, 805fe, 836, 806. Saw a picture of an 805 and it had a different look , is the 836 now called a 805fe and how is it different to the 806? I am going to try out a 705 and a 836 at the weekend.

I would prefer a bike where there was an option to use throttle only. Does the throttle on the 806 Alpino only allow a low speed and could this be "adjusted"?

Anyone tried an 806 Alpino? How is it on hills compared to the 806?

Thanks for any comments, Eve

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So am I confused but can help a bit... Normally any wisper ending in a 6 has the alfine 8 gear rear hub and dapush motor on the front. the 806 differs in that it has a SB front motor and 16 dérailleur gears. I think you are getting confused with the Panasonic walking throttles? if a throttle is fitted to a hub geared bike it will offer 100%

The 806 looks better value to me, but I think its odd that the 806 has no throttle:confused:

I would be cautious that you dont buy an earlier 24 volt system (unless it feels OK and price right of course) when all now are apparently 36 volt......

Last edited:

Eve

Apr 29, 2010
throttle or not to throttle

Thanks for the info eddio.

I don't know much about motors and gears, the names mean nothing to me, and wonder what difference I'd notice in day to day use from an 806 to 806 Alpino. I just want a reliable , easy to handle bike that will get up most hills. (with throttle only)

I guess I mostly will be on cycle tracks and canal banks but still want to be able to cope with hills if needed. 806 seems great for hills but no throttle! I want to use low assist mostly but just add a little extra as needed. If 806 Alpino is throttle only without peddling required it could be the one for me. You don't seem to think Alpino is worth the extra. Anyone know price of battery for Alpino?

I tried a 905 liked the power but it was too big and didn't like the gents style so will try 705 but seems it is same frame size, it may help being stepthrough style.
Thanks Eve

dicklaiwisper

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2008
806alpino

personally, I like the 806alpino very much! maybe pitty that your dealer has not this one in stock. will have planty 30 days later if you can wait.

705se is a grate bike too.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
The Alpino has a high end internally geared hub. This means that all the gears are enclosed in a weather proof hub on the rear wheel. The 806fe, or whatever it is called now has conventional derailleur gears.

The advantages of the internal hub are:
- virtually maintenance free, other than to change the rear sprocket when the chain is replaced.
- ability to change gear while not moving
- the chain will come off much less frequently than with the derailleur setup as it does not move when changing gears.

Disadvantages are:
- supposedly less efficient, but I doubt you would notice this on this sort of bike.
- can be difficult to change gear while pedalling. With internal geared hubs you normally stop pedalling briefly to change gear. I think this may be possible with the Alfine hub though.
- much more expensive (but will outlast the bike)!

Ignoring cost, I would much prefer the Alpino.

Folders are often undergeared, meaning you cannot pedal very fast in top gear. This is not the case with the Alpino though with its nice big 52T chainwheel. I understand this is not a problem with the 806fe either.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I just think if you can get a deal on the 806fe it offers better value. The SB motor is strong and well established. so your paying probably £500 more for an 8 gear hub as opposed to a 16 gear dérailleur...... if a throttle can be retro fitted it would be my choice.

why is the 836 not on web site?