Wisper Wisper 905 SE 2022

regancipher

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2022
Received my 905 earlier in the week. Firstly, steer clear of Cycle Solutions - they sent the 806 I ordered in a TV style box but without any padding, and unsurprisingly it turned up mangled. Since the 806 was out of stock I was happy to take the 905 instead, and after moaning about how the 806 was packed, they sent the 905 out in an even flimsier box which TNT thankfully reinforced. I was stuck with them unfortunately due to the somewhat limited Cycle to Work scheme, but hey ho the bike is here and other than the mud guards not having been fitted properly and useless tools sent out in the box....anyway enough moaning.

I was in two minds about whether to get the (originally) 806 or Dawes Arc II but David at @Wisper Bikes presence here on the forum swung it that way.

The 905 is a nice bike - very sturdy compared to the Pinnacle Arkose 1 gravel bike I use on the weekends. I bought this for the commute into work (14 mile round trip) but haven't actually used it for that yet. Took it on two 20 mile tours this week through the Surrey hills on and off road and no issues with the handling. I wonder if changing the chain would help with fighting against the motor pushing down hills, which feels like I'm treading through treacle. Kinda wish I'd gone for the torque model, maybe I can change this out or something in the future, maybe I won't bother....who knows. In terms of size - I'm 5ft 9' and it's perfect.

Mileage very good - I didn't use the assist too much other than the hills and even so battery only just hit the half way mark, which is impressive. Display is fine, brakes are pretty good. All in all, pretty happy with it - main goal was a bike I would feel safe on with good support that wouldn't leave me soaked in sweat getting into the office, the 905 definitely fulfils the brief.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the fantastic review!

re Cycle Solutions, I’m very sorry and surprised, they are normally superb. Would you like me to look into this for you?

All the best, David

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
I assume the like treacle when going downhill is because the assist disappears around 15mph. How many gears on this, 7? I've recently bought a 705SE and am in the process of changing it from 7 to 8 spd. Be careful if you ever take the cranks off. On mine they had been way overtighted. The crank extractor pulled the thread out of the crank rather than the crank off the spindle.

Reactions: regancipher

regancipher

Jul 18, 2022
I assume the like treacle when going downhill is because the assist disappears around 15mph. How many gears on this, 7? I've recently bought a 705SE and am in the process of changing it from 7 to 8 spd. Be careful if you ever take the cranks off. On mine they had been way overtighted. The crank extractor pulled the thread out of the crank rather than the crank off the spindle.
The cranks were overtightened on mine as well. I took the chain off and the extra resistance when going downhill seems to have gone now.

Thanks for the fantastic review!

re Cycle Solutions, I’m very sorry and surprised, they are normally superb. Would you like me to look into this for you?

All the best, David
Might be worth mentioning David. I've only done 250 miles and already the front brake is feeling spongy. On arrival the lever was seeping brake fluid and none of the screws had been tightened, which I did, and it seemed to resolve the problem but in reality, it has probably just masked it to the point it is only noticeable when I'm not riding it. It's probably going to need a new lever and re-bleed :/

The bike is lovely, but the standard of build was genuinely dire. In hindsight I should've taken it to my LBS (the fantastic Ethos in Redhill) the moment I noticed a problem with it (which was immediately!)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The cranks were overtightened on mine as well. I took the chain off and the extra resistance when going downhill seems to have gone now.

Might be worth mentioning David. I've only done 250 miles and already the front brake is feeling spongy. On arrival the lever was seeping brake fluid and none of the screws had been tightened, which I did, and it seemed to resolve the problem but in reality, it has probably just masked it to the point it is only noticeable when I'm not riding it. It's probably going to need a new lever and re-bleed :/

The bike is lovely, but the standard of build was genuinely dire. In hindsight I should've taken it to my LBS (the fantastic Ethos in Redhill) the moment I noticed a problem with it (which was immediately!)
Thanks for your post Regan,

If the brakes are spongy and/or leaking oil they need to be replaced. Please email me david@wisperbikes.com and I will arrange for you.

We did have build quality issues earlier in the year however this has been resolved by putting two of our team on the production line to QC during build, this has made a huge difference. If you would like to bring your bike to Kemsing some time we will give it a good check for you FOC. We would fit new brakes at the same time.

All the best, David

Reactions: regancipher

regancipher

Jul 18, 2022
Thanks for your post Regan,

If the brakes are spongy and/or leaking oil they need to be replaced. Please email me david@wisperbikes.com and I will arrange for you.

We did have build quality issues earlier in the year however this has been resolved by putting two of our team on the production line to QC during build, this has made a huge difference. If you would like to bring your bike to Kemsing some time we will give it a good check for you FOC. We would fit new brakes at the same time.

All the best, David
Very kind of you David, I will get in touch over email. Thanks!

regancipher

Jul 18, 2022
So I've had the 905 for just over 8 months now and thought it was worth revisiting the review. Overall, still very happy with it. It is a heavy, well-built bike that serves the bumpy commute pretty well.

The leaky brakes that had been an issue from receipt unfortunately resulted in me coming off it - nothing too serious in terms of damage to me, but landing on the derailleur meant that had to be replaced. Although David at Wisper offered for me to bring the bike back to get the brakes sorted, I decided to get them done locally at the same time as the gears. The 7-speed Acera fits without any modification required, so I took the opportunity to give it a little upgrade too.

New gears and a new chain have given the bike a huge uplift. I always found everything to be a little tight even in low gears before - I rarely ever managed to get above 3rd, 4th maybe downhill at a push. Now, with a bit more slack I can actually use gears 4-7. With the gears moving much smoother now as well, it's a far nicer ride and a much better experience, so I'm even more pleased with it than I was before.

It isn't without minor quibbles - the battery has become very difficult to remove, and putting a drop of oil in isn't viable as the battery charges on carpet in my office. Because of the design, you need to turn the key and pull at the same time, and it has become so stiff I often find myself having to leave it to cool down before coming back to it.

There is also very little adjustment for the mudguards, and as they were damaged on arrival the number of times I find them scraping on the wheels is a little annoying. The display is also very rudimentary - it would have been nice to have a clock on there and a few other variables, but aside this and the above issues I had with Cycle Solutions, it has been an enjoyable first eight months with the 905 - looking forward to getting back out on it more frequently when the weather picks up.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for taking time to review your 905, I’m delighted to read that you are very happy with the bike and have found the first eight months enjoyable!

Regarding the issues:

The battery should not have oil put on the case. If you are finding it difficult to turn the lock and remove still, a little silicone will help. We make the fit tight to avoid rattles.

The mudguards should not rub on the tyres if they are please email support@wisperbikes.com and our guys will help you to resolve, the same applies to any other issues you may have.

Happy Wispering!

All the best, David

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is why Wisper and Woosh are recommended becaus ethey have a good presence on the forum and don't ignore there custom base.
One reason why very few will recommend Swytch as they are toatally the opposite.