Wisper 905SE City S, first impressions

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Just had a chance to ride my dad's new 905SE City S from Valley Scooters. Aside from the dealer forgetting to tighten the pedals and the rack being way off-centre its seemed setup ok.

So, i had chance to ride it back to back to my Aurora, which is of course an illegal 350w bike. The Wisper has the off-road button installed too, and for testing purposes i used off-road mode. Worth noting that in legal mode it sat at exactly 15.5mph according to the speedo, on throttle.

Off-road mode saw it hit about 18mph on throttle, and i couldnt be certain of power modes as they didnt seem to work the same as the Aurora. On the Wisper the throttle overrides the pedal assist setting. EG, whether you're in low, medium or high the throttle is always on high. With the Aurora the throttle is dependant on the assist mode, so 12/15/20mph.

The Wisper is punchy, much mroe so than the Cyclamatic my dad sold to buy the Wisper. a side by side test with my dad on the Wisper and me on the Aurora showed its to be *slightly* slower to accelerate, and *slightly* less torquey up hills. In both cases i'd say it was within 5% of the Aurora, and even on speed only 2mph slower on throttle with both bikes in high.

So, what is my opinion of the Wisper? Is it worth the £1550 my dad paid for it? Yes, undoubtedly.

Does it outperform the Aurora? No, but its not far behind, clearly, "legal" is a very grey area...

Does it ride better than the Aurora... in some ways, it feels smoother, and the forks are definitely better, but its one of those long eBikes which isnt nimble through gates and such.

Would i consider one myself? No, its simply too small for a six footer.

Aside from the size issue would i consider it? Possibly, it is better quality than the Aurora, but not hugely so. The Wisper has 40% more watt-hours in the battery. The Aurora has better performance, and is £550 cheaper, so the questing becomes, is the Wisper £550 better?

My answer so far is no, but its early days yet, i'll try and ride it some more. It is a very nice bike, and if i'd bought it myself i wouldnt regret it.

Things i like about the Wisper...

Nice DX type pedals. Very good front light, reasonable rear one, both running from the battery. The battery being LiPo is nice and light despite being 14ah. It doesnt have the adjustable stem shown in the catalogue, which i think is an advantage, i dont 100% trust adjustable stems. The accident if one failed doesnt bear thinking about! I plan to change the one on the Aurora when i swap the forks out.

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You've got to remember that the premium you pay for a Wisper is paying for the access to support from resellers and middlemen. If you want that level of local support then you're going to have to pay for it. It's not really fair to compare Wisper to Alien just on the bike performance.

Parts-wise an Aurora is a lower end budget bike with a big motor, while a Wisper905 is an upper end budget bike with a medium-big motor, but at the end of the day if you really want quality then you can buy a £500 bike from Decathlon that has substantially better quality parts than both, we're talking the difference between budget parts and mid-range parts, and you can add a £400 Bafang motor and battery to leave you with a bike that would puts the other two to shame but you would have little support at least on the electrics side.

You pays you money and makes your choices. As long as everyone understands what they are paying for then the choices are pretty simple.

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Daahub

Maybe the answer is to buy a Daahub from a local dealer then buy a high spec bike then have him fit it then you will have the best off both worlds

support and the bike you feel good riding NOT long to wait

Frank

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just had a chance to ride my dad's new 905SE City S from Valley Scooters.

It doesnt have the adjustable stem shown in the catalogue, which i think is an advantage, i dont 100% trust adjustable stems. The accident if one failed doesnt bear thinking about!/QUOTE]

Hi Steethawk and thanks for the fantastic report!

The reason we changed the adjustable stem on the most recent bikes is it would not pass the rather tough EN15149 tests. We certainly did not have many problems with the adjustable type but as you say if it did come undone when riding the consequences would not be good. As long as the lock is set there would be very little chance of a problem.

The other difference on your dad's bike is we have now dropped the old Front Connection Box in favour of a new pug and play connector wich makes changing the handle bar controls very simple and neatens the front of the bike.

5 new manifold (FCB) 100kb.jpg

11 sel brake cable 100kb.jpg

All the best

David

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It doesnt have the adjustable stem shown in the catalogue, which i think is an advantage, i dont 100% trust adjustable stems. The accident if one failed doesnt bear thinking about! I plan to change the one on the Aurora when i swap the forks out.
Please excuse my noobieness, but what is an adjustable stem :confused:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Caph

My posting was all about going to your local bike shop and fitting a daahub

on a bike which the shop can supply as local Support is paramount to some

customers But for those who can fit a kit Nice Bike

The £449 is RRP so it will be sold on line for £399

Frank

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Invalidating the warranty?

I wonder how long it will be before your local bike shop decides that the electric shenanigans you have attached to the bike they supplied, invalidates the warranty?

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Just had a chance to ride my dad's new 905SE City S from Valley Scooters.

It doesnt have the adjustable stem shown in the catalogue, which i think is an advantage, i dont 100% trust adjustable stems. The accident if one failed doesnt bear thinking about!/QUOTE]

Hi Steethawk and thanks for the fantastic report!

The reason we changed the adjustable stem on the most recent bikes is it would not pass the rather tough EN15149 tests. We certainly did not have many problems with the adjustable type but as you say if it did come undone when riding the consequences would not be good. As long as the lock is set there would be very little chance of a problem.

The other difference on your dad's bike is we have now dropped the old Front Connection Box in favour of a new pug and play connector wich makes changing the handle bar controls very simple and neatens the front of the bike.

View attachment 1817

View attachment 1818

All the best

David
Hi talking of adjustable stem i hade mine slcken off a couple of time but it didn't go suddenly mind it was a strange feeling luckily i carry a few tools with me in the bags on the back i spose it may go again cant see any way of preventing it

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Lessped,

As long as you keep it maintained and adjusted well, you should not have any real problems. We have been using them for years and since we upgraded last year have not had any problems.

All the best

David

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hi Lessped,

As long as you keep it maintained and adjusted well, you should not have any real problems. We have been using them for years and since we upgraded last year have not had any problems.

All the best

David
Hi Whisper sorry if i gave the impression that i was talking about a whisper bike no i have an ALIEN Gents it was this bike i was refering too but thanks for info. anyhow.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Lessped

I am not sure which one they use, there are many available with varying levels of strength. As long as it has a lock it should be fine.

All the best

David

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Hi Whisper sorry if i gave the impression that i was talking about a whisper bike no i have an ALIEN Gents it was this bike i was refering too but thanks for info. anyhow.
If its the same one as the Aurora (probably), then i fastened mine VERY tight with an extra long Allen Key. A bit of threadlock on the wedge bolt could help too.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Hi Caph

My posting was all about going to your local bike shop and fitting a daahub

on a bike which the shop can supply as local Support is paramount to some

customers But for those who can fit a kit Nice Bike

The £449 is RRP so it will be sold on line for £399

Frank
I see where you are coming from Frank. You get a decent bike, decent local after sales support and a quality motor/battery for a lot less money.

In my case, Decathlon is my LBS, or at least it's closer than my standard LBS. I definitely wouldn't rely on them for after sales service though. The one time I did buy a cheap bike from them they spent an hour tuning it but forgot to do little things like tighten the handlebar stem and ensure the brakes were working!

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Well, as per my first post, Valley Scooters forgot to tighten the Wisper's pedals. One was close to falling off when i tried it. I felt it immediatly, but my Dad hadnt and had been riding it in this potentially dangerous state.

I have little trust in any bike shop. I check everything myself to make sure it's done properly.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
That is OK Street hawk BUT we are all made different thank goodness and rely on tradesmen to help us with our day to day needs If you are good with your hands you are lucky But I bet you cant wright a novel or poetry

IF you can leave us a small poem

Frank

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Checking that all nuts/bolts/screws are tight shouldnt be beyond anyone's abilities. Typically every new bike comes with an owners manual that tells you to do this.

How about i leave a small novel instead? ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Well, as per my first post, Valley Scooters forgot to tighten the Wisper's pedals. One was close to falling off when i tried it. I felt it immediatly, but my Dad hadnt and had been riding it in this potentially dangerous state.

I have little trust in any bike shop. I check everything myself to make sure it's done properly.

I am sorry to hear this, the guys at Valley are usually very diligent, I will talk to them for you.

All the best

David