Wisper 905SE Sport

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

Does the Wisper Sport have adjustable (e.g. height) handlbars? Also, what are the gear ratios?

Many thanks!

UrbanPuma

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The bars are adjustable and the gear ratios have changed over the years, I don't know what the current bikes have.

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Knowing the gear ratios is all very well, but can you actually use them all?

On the Wisper Works 905 SE City that I tried yesterday, I couldn't use first gear because the chain kept falling off the front ring. It happened on two occasions. On the third occasion it was about to happen, I recognised the transmission creaks and groans leading up to it, so backed off and changed up to second gear.

That experience, on a bike which had only travelled five miles since new, has given me concerns about the build quality and/or componentry fitted.

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent

On the Wisper Works 905 SE City that I tried yesterday, I couldn't use first gear because the chain kept falling off the front ring. It happened on two occasions. On the third occasion it was about to happen, I recognised the transmission creaks and groans leading up to it, so backed off and changed up to second gear.

That experience, on a bike which had only travelled five miles since new, has given me concerns about the build quality and/or componentry fitted.
thats not good:(

i have to say nothing wrong with mine i have been in every gear

actually i use 123 a lot due to my circumstances

my main issue is the brakes still for a modern day bike its very disapointing

but i will tell my bike dealer when it goes back to get the rake fitted and i take it from there after they tweaked them etc (i have to be fair on the issue b4 i comment any further)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

Earlier in the year I did about 400 miles on a 2009 905 city and the chain didn't come off once, sounds like somethings wrong on that one.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
It sounds like the derailer endstops &/or gear indexing just needed to be set up properly, this is the same for every bike with derailer gears, regardless of component choice. I have replaced the chainring on my 905 for a larger version, and my chain will only fall off when the gears aren't properly indexed. I also rather counter intuitively shortened the chain by two links, as an experiment to increase the chain tension, and it's upped the tollerance to the point of it happening once a fortnight at most.

I notice that the 906 now has a plastic ring on both sides of the main chainring, which I'd have thought would eliminate any possibility.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
The one I own now (built April 2009) had the derailleur set up perfectly which I wasn't expecting TBH for a bike not sold from a bike shop. There is a two stage quality check on each Wisper...

its possible that the one Davall tried had either had someone tweaking the setting and getting it wrong or the derallieur had got knocked/bent in storage..

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
I've been riding and adjusting derailleur gears for decades. With no front mech on this bike, I'm not sure that leaves much scope for chain adjustment at the front chainring. By the time the chain is leaving the rear cog, it has travelled right around that cog and should already be in alignment. I'm not sure the rear mech adjustment/bent derailleur could have any influence at that point. Surely its purpose is to align the chain as it rides onto the rear cogs, not as it's leaving them?

But you could be right. Perhaps one of the gurus will be along to shed some light.

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
The one I own now (built April 2009) had the derailleur set up perfectly which I wasn't expecting TBH for a bike not sold from a bike shop. There is a two stage quality check on each Wisper...

its possible that the one Davall tried had either had someone tweaking the setting and getting it wrong or the derallieur had got knocked/bent in storage..

@Alex728 where is the date of the bike? is it on the bike somewhere or on documents

i like to know more about my bike:D

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
@Alex728 where is the date of the bike? is it on the bike somewhere or on documents

i like to know more about my bike:D
it should be on the tag that was attached to it. This has the serial number of the bike and battery, date of manufacture and checking, the "chop" (what the Chinese call a rubber stamp ) of the first QA team, and the actual name of the head of the second QA team. In 32 years of riding bicycles I have never seen a tag like this before on a new bike so I kept it as it was quite impressive to see that level of detail.

Last edited:

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
it should be on the tag that was attached to it. This has the serial number of the bike and batter, date of manufacture and checking, the "chop" (what the Chinese call a rubber stamp ) of the first QA team, and the actual name of the head of the second QA team. In 32 years of riding bicycles I have never seen a tag like this before on a new bike so I kept it as it was quite impressive to see that level of detail.
thanks for that

the bike shop must of taken it off for me;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Adjustment

That experience, on a bike which had only traveled five miles since new, has given me concerns about the build quality and/or componentry fitted.
Hi Davall

It looks as if the dérailleur needs adjustment. Please contact your supplier and they will take care of it for you.

Failing that contact service@wisperbikes.com Norman will look after you.

All the best David

Davall

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Can't see how it could be the rear derailleur myself, given that the chain was falling off the front chainring having driven all the way around the largest rear cog, but never mind -- it wasn't my bike, it was one I went to look at with a view to purchase. It was nearly new, but this put me right off.

Thanks for the advice though, which I presume would extend to a second owner buying privately?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So this alone put you of a great bike.........Your loss:rolleyes:

My 905SE in over 12 months has not lost its chain once in comparison my wife's 705 SE is more problematic. It is all a matter of proper adjustment that is all.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Can't see how it could be the rear derailleur myself, given that the chain was falling off the front chainring having driven all the way around the largest rear cog, but never mind -- it wasn't my bike, it was one I went to look at with a view to purchase. It was nearly new, but this put me right off.

Thanks for the advice though, which I presume would extend to a second owner buying privately?
Hi Davall (cool name first three letters of David and last three of Miall!:D)

I am pretty certain it was either dérailleur adjustment or problems, however if it was anything else we would put it right immediately. We use very high standard components on our bikes and if anything goes wrong we put it right, fortunately, because of our quality this is very rare.

The Wisper Warrantee does move to the current owner.

Best regards David Miall

PS Thanks Eddie!

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
is the Wisper derailleur one of these newer "MTB" types where without tension it goes to the largest sprocket rather than the smallest? If so I can easily see how and why the bike would dump the chain if the limit screws were not correctly set.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
is the Wisper derailleur one of these newer "MTB" types where without tension it goes to the largest sprocket rather than the smallest? If so I can easily see how and why the bike would dump the chain if the limit screws were not correctly set.
No it's the standard way round. I though Shimano had tried reversing it to enable faster downshifts but it wasn't popular and got binned.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I imagine it just confused the hell out of people! :D

I've found as my setup has no chainguard or retaining rings on the chainwheel that if the derailer is slightly out it can introduce enough of what I think is known as 'chain suck' for the chain to slack enough around the chainring to come off. I've combatted this in two ways, by both religiously checking the gear cable tension, and shortening the chain by the minimum of two links. The latter makes the chain a little tight when in the huge first gear, but as the only occasion I've had to use it was when my battery ran out (never again!:D ), it doesn't bother me too much.

There's also the 'B' adjustment screw that lifts the rear mech away from the sprockets that needs to be checked to make sure the mech isn't grinding against the sprockets (particularly in first), though I've only set this once, and never had to bother with it since.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I imagine it just confused the hell out of people! :D

I've found as my setup has no chainguard or retaining rings on the chainwheel that if the derailer is slightly out it can introduce enough of what I think is known as 'chain suck' for the chain to slack enough around the chainring to come off. I've combatted this in two ways, by both religiously checking the gear cable tension, and shortening the chain by the minimum of two links. The latter makes the chain a little tight when in the huge first gear, but as the only occasion I've had to use it was when my battery ran out (never again!:D ), it doesn't bother me too much.

There's also the 'B' adjustment screw that lifts the rear mech away from the sprockets that needs to be checked to make sure the mech isn't grinding against the sprockets (particularly in first), though I've only set this once, and never had to bother with it since.
I thought chain suck was when the chainring was more worn than the chain and the hooked teeth try and drag the links right round instead of letting go, that could be wrong though.
I have a lot of trouble with the chain coming off the chainring (the original chainring with the chain guide fitted was too big). It is worse when I back pedal so that's an easy fix but it comes off during normal riding as well. I have tightened the chain but I think the wide BB is the problem as the chain isn't running in quite the same direction as the chainring, I got a gadget to sort it out but it doesn't fit the Wisper properly. :(
Any advice to stop the chain coming off would be welcome as it's a pain.
I've been told that a Shimano XT rear mech will be a very big improvement over the standard Alivio equipment, I can't see how it would stop the chain coming off but I'm willing to give it a go. I've also got rid of the megarange freewheel in favour of a 28 tooth large sprocket so a shorter cage may help as well.