wisper 905se

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
wisper bike 905se on ebay germany at £860 plus £70 carriage no on ebay is 330189135317

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That was exactly my impression when I looked yesterday Aldby, someone cashing in on a perceived demand with a scam.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
well someone has taken a chance on the bike hope they got a good deal and were not ripped of it would be interesting if it was someone from this site A

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh well, fingers crossed for them. I suspect they'd get a bike but it would turn out to be the very similar 905e. They can be difficult to tell apart, and the 905se prototype at the New Milton show was actually a 905e dressed up a bit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done John, pleased for you, seems you've got a bargain after all.

I'd like to hear your impressions of it in due course, as I'm sure others will as well.

E-Wheels Germany

Just Joined
Nov 25, 2007
e-wheels.eu
Hi - I`m from E-Wheels Germany

Hi, this is Frank from E-Wheels Germany.
The WISPER WORKS 905se is the original WISPER 905se. We bought the bikes directly from WEVCO, and the reason we are clearing stock is the German market and legal situation: We are currently talking to David from WISPER (or WEVCO, that is Wisper electric vehicles co.) about the German edition. We need specific lights and dynamoo and other requirements for our market. It would be much to expensive for us to unpack and reconstruct every bike in our stock, so we decided to sell them for a very reasonable price, so that we can focus on our market in Germany with an edition fitting to German market. Unluckily we are well known for bureaucratically behaviour, and I vie myself also as a victim of such political and paper-term orientated needs.
The 905se is much more developed than the 905e: bigger frame tubes (e.g. 1.125 stem), a much better, adjustable front suspension, bigger wheels, 13Ah instead of 10A battery - to name only some highlights. But there is also a bit more work left for the lucky winners: The throttle needs to be installed, because it is not legal on German streets. In fact: It is in the carton, and we send installing advice, if anybody wanted to do so.
Next week we will continue our stock clearance.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for the explanation Frank. In fact David from Wisper had fully explained the specification to us previously and also assured someone your offer was indeed genuine.

It's good to know why your low price exists though. :)

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
those wisper bikes went quicker than hot cakes hope you enjoy them it would be nice to hear how they go

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Genuine

Hi Guys

Yes all is genuine, Frank is our partner in Germany, there are just a few left in Germany now, but do remember you must fit the de-restrict, on off buttons and throttle yourselves, the bikes also have dynamo lighting which is not standard on the UK version.

The next batch of 905e, 905se sport and city and the 705se step through will be available in early March 2008 with the new lithium ion polymer 14a 36v battery on the 905se's. If you want to secure one for the Spring drop me a line to david@wisperbike.com. They are selling very fast!

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sheep in Wolves clothing!

Oh well, fingers crossed for them. I suspect they'd get a bike but it would turn out to be the very similar 905e. They can be difficult to tell apart, and the 905se prototype at the New Milton show was actually a 905e dressed up a bit.
You, as always, are absolutly correct Flecc!

However the new 905 range available in early 2008 does not share one component with the original 905e apart from the wheel rims! :D

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Bikes from Germany

Please also consider that bikes bought in from Germany will need to be serviced by the German dealer, we can look after the bike here but there would obviously be a charge, and any warranter issues would be forwarded to Germany.

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However the new 905 range available in early 2008 does not share one component with the original 905e apart from the wheel rims! :D

Best regards David
Really? Was the 905e that bad? :eek:

Only teasing David. :) I know that 905e customers are pleased with their bikes, but you can see how that could be construed. :D

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Please also consider that bikes bought in from Germany will need to be serviced by the German dealer, we can look after the bike here but there would obviously be a charge, and any warranter issues would be forwarded to Germany.

Best regards David

...and presumably Germany would forward the warranty claim to the manufacturer?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
They're selling a few! I bought one this afternoon. There's a couple more up now including a display model.

I shall report back on how I find it!

Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I promised to report back on the Wisper 905 SE which I bought from Wisper's German dealer who decided to get rid of stock not suited to his market.

The bike arrived yesterday and I spent this morning setting it up - and didn't have much time for a ride so this is initial impressions only.

Set up was probably about three hours altogether. There was quite a bit to do including wiring up the throttle, fitting mudguards and rack and generally checking over and setting things up. I reminded myself of what I keep saying to others, which is that electric bicycles are not a great mail order product for this reason!

Highlights included the wiring being easy, as the German distributor had sent me a picture which clearly showed which bit plugged in where, and removing the back wheel, which is straightforward as there is a connector which allows you to disconnect the wire, making it no harder than on a normal bike.

The brakes were the low point. The front one works well (which is by far the most important thing) but seems to be slightly rubbing. I've no experience of disc brakes so am not too sure what to do. The rear one (v-brake) needed to have the spring tension adjusted so that the two sides sprung back evenly, but unfortuntately the metal around the adjuster screw disintegrated, so I suspect I will need new rear brakes - which is an irritation on an expensive bike but not the end of the world and probably not worth trying to invoke international warranties on - I'll just buy a new one tomorrow.

Apart from that back brake, the components appear to be good quality and the bike is very smooth and light (not weighed it yet).

A slight irritation is that you seem to have to take the seat out to remove the battery. Therefore I expect I will charge it on the bike in my garage - which I can do. But if I was keeping the bike outside this would be a pain.

The controller is rated at 18 amps. Given the 36V battery, that may imply a maximum power output of c650 watts, which I think may be slightly higher than the Torq.

Riding position seems fine. Plenty of additional seat post height for taller riders (I'm 5'7") and an inch or so to come down for smaller riders. Someone under 5'4" may need to ditch the suspension seat post (I may do this anyway out of personal preference). Handlebars have a reasonable amount of adjustment.

As I recalled from my test ride, it is high geared. There is a very large chainwheel with 52 teeth and the rear cluster is a 14-34 megarange, which (I think) gives a gear range of 40 - 98 inches.

I locked the suspension forks when I was setting up the bike. I also pumped up the tyres to the maximum 65psi. That resulted in a hard, responsive ride, which I liked.

I rode it first up and down my street without the battery, and I have to say it is pretty rideable without noticeable motor drag and with gears low enough to be useable should one ever run out of battery power.

Then I put the new, freshly-charged, 500Wh battery in. It really goes! It feels incredibly powerful. It was a wet day, getting dark and I didn't have lights sorted out, so I only went a couple of miles. I sought out the biggest hills near to me (nothing special, probably 1 in 15 for 1/4 mile), and it flew up them. The factory fitted speedo is hard to read but until I eased off it was reading 25-30km/h all the way up the hill. Coming down it felt faster - with plenty of cadence to keep driving it. I've now fitted a proper computer so will have a better idea of speeds when I take it out for a proper ride tomorrow.

Impressions so far are favourable - for the most part a well thought out, designed and executed bike which was exciting to ride, with a couple of niggles. Will say more when I've got to know it properly.

Regards,

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks for the initial report Frank, that brake may just have been the odd poor one that gets through from time to time. The disc brake pads/caliper may smooth and balance after a first few applications, so best to leave it until then before attempting any adjustment.

Assuming a fairly standard 559 (26") tyre size, your gears are a bit lower than that at 38" to 93", but if the tyre is quite tall in profile as many are now, it will probably be about 39" to 96", that top gear very much lower than the Torq's, and the bottom gear way lower, which is better of course. If it has a derestrictor to do 20 mph plus, you'll be spinning quite hard to keep up to the motor's drive.

However, are you sure that the small sprocket is 14 tooth? For some while now the main Shimano Megarange of this type has been 13 to 34. If so, the top would be in the 100" to 104" region, a better match for the +20 mph stuff and nearer the Torq's 112" and 122" top two gears.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Flecc,

Thanks for the correction to my gear calculations. They are fairly large tyres so 39-96" may be about right.

I was suprised that the megarange was not a 13, or even an 11. I even went back out to the garage to check again after I'd done the gear calculations, as I was expecting to see a top one well into the 100s! But it has 14-34 written on it in big white letters.

Both on my test ride and my little ride today I've felt the bike has been geared about right and have had plenty of cadence at high speeds - but I shall know more when I put it through its paces on my commute to work. I expect to shave a few minutes off my normal time!

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Hi Frank, with regard to your problem with the front disc brake, have you tried adjusting the caliper to centre it? There is a red knurled nut for this purpose.

John

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
John,

Yes - I twiddled that a bit but wasn't convinced that was the right adjustment. It appeared to move the pad that wasn't rubbing, if you see what I mean. It isn't clear to me if there are any other adjustments.

However, thanks for the suggestion

Frank