Wisper rear Bafang and front Dapu motors.....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi,

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the Bafang rear motor and Dapu front motor on Wisper bikes ?
What pros and cons are there, is the weight of the front motor offset better by the balance of the rear battery ?

Also are the batteries chargeable whilst still on the bike ?
I am trying to do as much homework as possible prior to my test ride of these bikes.
Would appreciate any input on this, thankyou :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I've not ridden a front motored Wisper (they are way more expensive for one thing!) but I think they all use the same batteries. you can definitely charge them whilst they are still on the bike - there is a small socket on the side the charger plugs in to.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I've not ridden a front motored Wisper (they are way more expensive for one thing!) but I think they all use the same batteries. you can definitely charge them whilst they are still on the bike - there is a small socket on the side the charger plugs in to.
Thats good about the charging thankyou.....I had thought it was but doubted a bit on reading in another post that the Kalkoff has to have the battery removed to charge as I wouldnt want to have to take it off every time......though I presume they have made it very simple :)
And if the dapu motor is much more expensive then I am presuming that motor is better ? :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I like the original 905/705 rear motored bikes. I tried an Alpino it went very well but I found the frame a bit big for me.

You can read all you can, but you really need to demo these things to get a true impression:)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I like the original 905/705 rear motored bikes. I tried an Alpino it went very well but I found the frame a bit big for me

You can read all you can, but you really need to demo these things to get a true impression:)
But did you think the motor was better/more powerful on the alpino ?

and very true about demos......I cant wait to get back to the UK end of this month ( in spain at moment ) :)

ghostrain

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 21, 2010
Dapush Motors v Bafang motors

I attended the Canton Fair (now known as the China Import and Export Fair,in Guangzhou) ,I asked on the best of the Chinese e-bike suppliers about the Dapush motor against the Bafang motor...they all advised that they found the Dapush motor to be noisy,expensive and no real power advantage over the Bafang unit....some of them told me that Dapush supplied to them controllers and LCD displays so it wasn't a case of not liking the supplier.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The SB motor is a long established Chinese product and used by a huge number of e-bike makers. The Dapu motor is a new Japanese product.

Wisper are continuing the 905 SB equipped range in parallel with the 906 Dapu equipped range, and I doubt there is a big difference in the powers and ranges.

One member who has tried both found it difficult to be certain which if any was more powerful.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
The SB motor is a long established Chinese product and used by a huge number of e-bike makers. The Dapu motor is a new Japanese product.

Wisper are continuing the 905 SB equipped range in parallel with the 906 Dapu equipped range, and I doubt there is a big difference in the powers and ranges.

One member who has tried both found it difficult to be certain which if any was more powerful.
Thanks Flecc :)

Do you think there is a detrimental effect having the motor on the front wheel as opposed to the rear or is there no real difference ?

I just feel there must be some benefit of one over the other, otherwise why change/offer both ? :confused:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
front wheel motor probably means easier servicing and a wider choice of gearing on rear wheel, including the 8/11 speed alfina on the Wispers. But if you are buying a strictly legal bike the differences in performance are going to be marginal I would think.

Personally I like the light front with a rear driven bike, I prefer the handling. I just think its better to be pushed then pulled but I am a non technical chap (stop laughing at the back!)

But you are definitely on the right track! we are very happy with our Wispers and are motorhomers as well:)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes as Eddie as noted, rear wheel limits the gear ratios and limits customers to mainly freewheels, however, it can give better grip on steep or slippery hills. Front wheel drive may affect handling as the unsprung wieght increases, the wheel can slip but its easier to remove and it turns your bike into two wheel drive, it can also balance the bike better especially if you have to carry the bike anywhere.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks Eddio and nrg.....I am starting to get a clearer picture now and it ''seems'' like the front motor would be better if only because of the gears.....I am looking forward to trying both.
As for ''strictly legal'' I would really like a ''slightly illegal'' bike if possible :D

Although to be honest i am really looking for range as opposed to speed so not sure if, say, an illegal bigger motor, would help with that ......I would imagine that the bigger motor would give more speed at the expense of range......am I right :confused:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Why assume you want/need an illegal bike? you havent even tried one yet:confused: I can assure you a Wisper is a very powerful bike you will be surprised.

I was nearly 18 stone now 16 and even when heavier not many hills defeated me, and I have many health problems and far for fit? In over 2 year only one hill is Switzerland defeated me and I had to walk/push bike up:D

and yes more power normally means less range, again not a worry with a wisper Because of the 14Ah battery

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thats good about the charging thankyou.....I had thought it was but doubted a bit on reading in another post that the Kalkoff has to have the battery removed to charge as I wouldnt want to have to take it off every time......though I presume they have made it very simple :)
And if the dapu motor is much more expensive then I am presuming that motor is better ? :)
It is very simple to remove the Panasonic battery on the Kalkhoffs. The battery is light too and just sits on a desktop type charger. Removing the battery takes no time at all and re-fitting is even quicker. I wouldn't let this sway you from considering a Kalkhoff / Panasonic crank drive bike.

Unless you have tried and already dismissed the Panasonic crank system, it would be worth trying one. They are different to hub motors and those differences may suit you better.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Why assume you want/need an illegal bike? you havent even tried one yet:confused: I can assure you a Wisper is a very powerful bike you will be surprised.

I was nearly 18 stone now 16 and even when heavier not many hills defeated me, and I have many health problems and far for fit? In over 2 year only one hill is Switzerland defeated me and I had to walk/push bike up:D

and yes more power normally means less range, again not a worry with a wisper Because of the 14Ah battery
I suppose I was just thinking (wrongly) that illegal might mean more range ......I have tried a wisper over a year ago and was impressed, and would want the ''off road'' button ....just in case :)
But I havent tried them with the bigger batteries...
My current bike is a Powacycle windsor which has been great but I am looking to upgrade and want to be sure that I upgrade enough, if you follow my drift ! :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It is very simple to remove the Panasonic battery on the Kalkhoffs. The battery is light too and just sits on a desktop type charger. Removing the battery takes no time at all and re-fitting is even quicker. I wouldn't let this sway you from considering a Kalkhoff / Panasonic crank drive bike.

Unless you have tried and already dismissed the Panasonic crank system, it would be worth trying one. They are different to hub motors and those differences may suit you better.
I tried a Kalkoff at presteigne last year and was disappointed as it didnt get me up the test hill as far as the wisper did....HOWEVER.....I now realise that I was probably riding it wrong.( after reading posts about low gear and taking it slowly )
I am intending to try the raleigh dover, which I understand will soon be available with the new 18Ah battery and this time I will endeavour to understand better how to approach hills :)
So I certainly havent ruled out the crank system....am looking forward to comparing them with more info this time

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Kalkhoffs will take you up anything. You must have been doing something wrong, or the battery was nearly flat. If you do not like the slow cadence speed you can change the motor sprocket to one with more teeth. This allows you to pedal faster but still keep the power assist on.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Kalkhoffs will take you up anything. You must have been doing something wrong, or the battery was nearly flat. If you do not like the slow cadence speed you can change the motor sprocket to one with more teeth. This allows you to pedal faster but still keep the power assist on.
Hi Tangent, thanks for your input...and yes I think it was a combination of both and no one on the stand gave me any advice so i went away disappointed but I will try again this time crank/rear motor/front motor and see what suits me best.:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
And there was me finking you where a complete novice, I would try a Panasonic bike again I really like them

The off road button ain't allowed no more making bike obviously illegal BUT!Wispers are VERY easily de restricted.......

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
And there was me finking you where a complete novice, I would try a Panasonic bike again I really like them

The off road button ain't allowed no more making bike obviously illegal BUT!Wispers are VERY easily de restricted.......
:D .......you know what eddieo.....my gut instinct has always been towards the panasonic system.....BUT, truthfully, the help and advice so freely given to me by david miall has made me WANT to prefer a wisper and hence my quandary now......so I am off to my nearest dealer ( who stocks wisper and raleigh ) as soon as I get back to somerset with an open mind, money clutched in hand, and hoping to be blown away by one of them and I will definately report back......before setting off in the van with my brand new bike safely on the rack heading for new traffic free cycle paths.......oooooh.........cant WAIT !!!!!!!!

Just as a ''girly'' comment........the dover is a nicer colour :D :D :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I tried some high end swiss Flyer Panasonic bikes at Dusseldorf motorhome show last year and fell in love with an X series (over 5k:eek:)

But when I got back home and out on my Wisper again, I was far from disappointed, they are great bikes and do everything I need......... and like you say David is a one off in this industry, particularly if you ain't to tech savvy like me:p