wisper warrranty - online register

roadster

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, Just sold my wisper and need to register it for new owner - can this be done online - can not find the link.. Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is done by the Wisper dealer through the Wisper dealers online portal, but the warranty is only transferable if the sale is through a Wisper dealer. Details on this link

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Hi, Just sold my wisper and need to register it for new owner - can this be done online - can not find the link.. Thanks
Not sure if you are interpreting Flecc's post correctly? Isn't the warranty only transferable when the SECOND HAND sale is through a Wisper dealer though?

Wisper bikes bought second hand from anyone other than an approved Wisper dealer will not be legible for a warranty transfer.
Dunno about being legible though? I could read it just fine ;) ;)

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi roadster,

From reading the link posted by flecc it appears you should have registered your bike within 7 days of purchase to receive warranty cover.

It means that your bike was not under warranty if you did not complete registration and even though it has not be registered the new owner will not be eligible to register for warranty unless you can persuade the dealer you purchased from to make an exception in your case.

The main concern seems to be that the dealer needs to be assured the the bike is in sound condition before applying a transfer and that can only be presently done by selling back to the dealer.

Unfortunately the new owner of these dealer returns will be subject to secondary VAT and a dealer handling charge when purchasing it making it fairly expensive.

In fairness to Wisper I don't know of any dealer offering transferable warranty outside a dealer network.

It does mean you have to factor in this when trying to calculate the depreciation a new bike will incur when it leaves the shop.

I have asked before whether it could be that private sales could be included in the warranty transfer system subject to an inspection fee, I feel this would be a USP for any dealer that would allow this and give the purchaser a degree of security in the bike SH value when making the decision to purchase

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi shemozzle99, Yes direct from UK wisper dealer..
Then that is the route you must take, it could be the dealer has already registered it with Wisper.

I can foresee a stumbling block:

"Wisper bikes bought second hand from anyone other than an approved Wisper dealer will not be legible for a warranty transfer."

I was in the same position as your buyer, last year I privately purchased one unused, David at Wisper confirmed that the warranty could not be transferred under those conditions but assured me that Wisper would provide full customer support if required, so lack of warranty should not be of great concern to your buyer.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I thought I would post this question separately to my reply above.

Does the manufacturer, who provides the warranty, factor this risk into the selling price, in which case the end customers have already collectively paid for the replacement of a defective part?

Last edited:

roadster

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2011
Hi shemozzle999 - it is new unreged with wisper - dealer said he would register it for me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought I would post this question separately to my reply above.

Does the manufacturer, who provides the warranty, factor this risk into the selling price, in which case the end customers have already collectively paid for the replacement of a defective part?
That must be the case, it is a cost which a responsible company factors into their selling price. Where the warranty repairs are carried out by dealers as a matter of policy, there will be, or should be, an extra margin for dealers to cover the labour cost eventuality.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The current business model on secondhand warranty/sales does seem to me a bit silly to me by not allowing warranty transfers.

It incurs significant secondary VAT charges which removes money from the buying market. I would think it probably equals or exceed the dealers profits on the SH sale and does nothing to promote sales.

If the dealers left SH sales to the private sector more money would be retained in the buying market giving the seller more purchasing power for a replacement new bike and a happy SH buyer secure in the knowledge it has ongoing warranty, it could possibly speed up sales.

If the dealer still wanted have an input then, dare I say it, 50 cycles system of dealing with SH sales seems like a good way to go about it. The 10% commission on sales covering the increase risk posed by warranty transfer.

The bike could still be subject to inspection prior to transfer approval but if it fails the original owner could insist on the bike be repaired under existing warranty anyway, if applicable, but insist any other non warranty faults be fixed at the owners/ buyers expense before transfer is approved.

I see this as a win/win situation for both the dealers and buyers but then again I could be talking total BS.

I would be interested in what the ebike trade thinks.

Last edited: