Wisper WISPER WORKS 705SE BATTERY - BIT OF HELP PLEASE!

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Afternoon fellow Pedelecer's. Further to my previous post I have today collected the Wisper Works 705SE Electric Bike. As suspected it will probably need a replacement battery. I've been looking on EBay for a comparable Silverfish type battery but I'm not sure what I need. Just wondered if someone, with more knowledge than me, can perhaps point me in the right direction? I have attached some photo's, although not the best quality, of the current setup and battery internals which may help? It as four connection slots at the base with the two outermost pins for positive and negative. I still don't receive notifications of any replies so apologies if any delay in my responses. Thanks

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Afternoon fellow Pedelecer's. Further to my previous post I have today collected the Wisper Works 705SE Electric Bike. As suspected it will probably need a replacement battery. I've been looking on EBay for a comparable Silverfish type battery but I'm not sure what I need. Just wondered if someone, with more knowledge than me, can perhaps point me in the right direction? I have attached some photo's, although not the best quality, of the current setup and battery internals which may help? It as four connection slots at the base with the two outermost pins for positive and negative. I still don't receive notifications of any replies so apologies if any delay in my responses. Thanks
You can use whatever 36v battery you want and install it how and where you want. Those numbers and labels don't mean anything. They're only relevant to the battery you already have. The one thing you didn't show was the actual battery, nor did you give any sizes.

Is it the old plastic battery with the slide at the front or one that slides down an aluminium rail at the back?

What type of pedal sensor does it have?

If it were my bike, I'd go to a 48v battery and upgrade the controller to KT, which would completely transform the ride from agricultural to smooth and modern.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
You can use whatever 36v battery you want and install it how and where you want. Those numbers and labels don't mean anything. They're only relevant to the battery you already have. The one thing you didn't show was the actual battery, nor did you give any sizes.

Is it the old plastic battery with the slide at the front or one that slides down an aluminium rail at the back?

If it were my bike, I'd go to a 48v battery and upgrade the controller to KT, which would completely transform the ride from agricultural to smooth and modern.
The existing battery is plastic that slides down a plastic rail. If that makes sense? Not sure about pedal sensor as I haven't had much time to go over the bike fully yet. Didn't know I could upgrade to a higher voltage? I'll have a look at this in more detail when I have more time.

Just a question. Wouldn't the motor need to be upgraded also should I go for the higher voltage set up?

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
You guys never make it easy. They all slide on a rail. The question was whether the rail is at the front or back?
Sorry. Misread the question. The rail is at the back. Connected to the rear mudguard at the top and at the bottom where the controller is situated. Hope this helps and makes sense?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

Wouldn't the motor need to be upgraded also should I go for the higher voltage set up?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wouldn't the motor need to be upgraded also should I go for the higher voltage set up?
No. Motors don't care about voltage. You can get problems if you have a high-speed 36v one, then increase the voltage and only ride around slowly, but normal ebike motors work fine at 48v, especially if you use a current controlling controller, like a KT.

Check the measurements, the see if s standard silver fish battery will fit. They come with the aluminium strip and the base plate, so you can always make them fit, though you might need to drill a hole or two. Any battery will fit to your bike with two wires. The base plate has two wires underneath that are connected to the controller with two bullet connectors. You only have to connect them the right way round, red to red and black to black - not exactly difficult.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
No. Motors don't care about voltage. You can get problems if you have a high-speed 36v one, then increase the voltage and only ride around slowly, but normal ebike motors work fine at 48v, especially if you use a current controlling controller, like a KT.

Check the measurements, the see if s standard silver fish battery will fit. They come with the aluminium strip and the base plate, so you can always make them fit, though you might need to drill a hole or two. Any battery will fit to your bike with two wires. The base plate has two wires underneath that are connected to the controller with two bullet connectors. You only have to connect them the right way round, red to red and black to black - not exactly difficult.
Brilliant. Thanks for the information. This is a bit of a project so whilst I'm doing this I may as well upgrade as much as I can. I'm fine with electrics, I was just concerned about a miss-match with the motor. I'll check all of this as soon as I can

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Brilliant. Thanks for the information. This is a bit of a project so whilst I'm doing this I may as well upgrade as much as I can. I'm fine with electrics, I was just concerned about a miss-match with the motor. I'll check all of this as soon as I can
If the battery won't work, you can sometimes test everything by connecting the charger. The 2 amps it supplies is enough to run the motor with the wheel in the air. Put a cycle computer on the wheel and check the max speed the wheel spins. If it doesn't go over 23 mph, it'll be good with 48v. If it reaches 26 mph or more, better to stay at 36v. If it's restricted to 15 mph, check to see if it has the speed adjuster cable on the controller. it's two wires with a little thing on the end you can turn with a small screwdriver.

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
If the battery won't work, you can sometimes test everything by connecting the charger. The 2 amps it supplies is enough to run the motor with the wheel in the air. Put a cycle computer on the wheel and check the max speed the wheel spins. If it doesn't go over 23 mph, it'll be good with 48v. If it reaches 26 mph or more, better to stay at 36v. If it's restricted to 15 mph, check to see if it has the speed adjuster cable on the controller. it's two wires with a little thing on the end you can turn with a small screwdriver.
Just an update. Just tried the bike with the battery charger and all seems to work? Don't have access to cycle computer so its a bit of 'trial and error' at the moment. At least I now know the battery is at fault and needs recelling or replacement. I'll look into this when I have a bit more time. I've took a few more pictures of the battery pack together with the controller. They're not the best but just need to work out the wiring now should I upgrade to 48 volt battery and KT controller?

Attachments

Last edited:

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
....... If it's restricted to 15 mph, check to see if it has the speed adjuster cable on the controller. it's two wires with a little thing on the end you can turn with a small screwdriver.
I've been trying to work out if this is restricted. Cannot see anything obvious. Unless I'm missing something?

chris301up

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
You said you had it running from the charger!
I did. But it was a matter of holding some wires on the connections on the bike whilst my Son held the other ends on the charger connections.The only way I could check it it was working without a lot of messing about unsoldering and then re-soldering connections.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I did. But it was a matter of holding some wires on the connections on the bike whilst my Son held the other ends on the charger connections.The only way I could check it it was working without a lot of messing about unsoldering and then re-soldering connections.
That's OK. You just need the cycle computer to give you the speed - about £3 from Ebay.