Woosh Big Bear

Colban

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2014
I always thought equal braking was best too, I remember getting thrown over the handlebars when I was much younger with just using a front brake but I also remember skidding out only using the back brake. Neither seems to happen when I use both. Advice is taken though, I have a hydraulic front brake coming on Monday and will try to use just the front brake. I reiterate my hill problem though, it's steep, has sharp corners and drivers are generally stupid.

I may have to change my route in the Summer when all the tourists get here it's a bit longer (6-7 extra miles a day) but the hill climbing isn't as bad (or the descents) and the roads are a bit bigger (although busier because of this).
We'll see....
Again thanks for the advice, I'll let you all know how the hydraulic brakes work out.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
several members have done just that, replacing the front caliper with hydraulic.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
always thought that balanced breaking was the 'correct' method. Advice would be very welcome,thanks.
Whilst I don't disagree with folk who say that the front brake does the hard stopping, I also feel that balanced braking is better with appropriate use of the rear brake, particularly when on loose or slippy surfaces or if you are forced to brake on a bend.
The rear brake does have some stopping power and allows you to brake more gently with the front.
There are many situations where only using the front brake can see you over the handlebars and if you are ever going to lock a wheel you don't want it to be the front one.
This is quite a good read,
http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/fundamentalsbraking.html
although it's directed mainly at off road use it explains braking techniques quite well.

Dave.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Neither flecc nor I are advocating using just the front brake - that is a recipe for a fall or trip over the bars.

But the braking balance is very heavily in favour of the front.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whilst I don't disagree with folk who say that the front brake does the hard stopping, I also feel that balanced braking is better with appropriate use of the rear brake, particularly when on loose or slippy surfaces or if you are forced to brake on a bend.
Of course we should use what's suitable for each condition and I would hardly use the front brake at all on ice, but the emphasis in this thread is where the best brake should be and why. Both Rob and I were answering on that basis.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I bumped into a lass I vaguely know on the trail a while ago.

She was on a Scott mountain bike which had no front brake.

"Might be worth getting that sorted," I ventured.

"But I like skidding to a stop," she replied.

Good answer, and one for which I, for once, had no reply.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Read DC,s link it's enough for basic understanding

Reactions: Osho
D

Deleted member 4366

When you have a decent front brake, like a hydraulic disc brake, you have much better control of the braking, so there's no chance of going over the handlebars. They don't grab like rim brakes do.

Reactions: shambolic and Osho