Woosh conversion kit

Funkster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2019
I have put a rear wheel conversion kit on my Boardman hybrid. I am really disappointed with how it runs,it's so intermittent, is this how rear conversions run, if so I really regret buying this. I may have done something wrong with set up but the motor just constantly starts and stops as you are riding. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
check your magnet disc first, make sure that it does not touch the sensor head. Email some pictures to support@wooshbikes.co.uk, Andy will help you sort it.
Test also that the throttle works.

Reactions: esuark

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Double check the motor cable connection on the rear stay and that it is 100% pushed fully home. 1 -2 mm short of not being pushed in fully can cause this kind of issue.

Last edited:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I've bought two rear hub motor kits from Woosh and both have been absolutely fine - genuinely 'plug and play'. As suggested, check all your wiring as this doesn't sound right at all.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Nealh

Funkster

Dec 9, 2019
Ok thanks, I haven't used the throttle is that necessary. I will check the disc also

Funkster

Dec 9, 2019
How can this even be attached to the chainring,it's in two parts which makes it more difficult. Am really not sure about plug and play. There is nothing to stock it to. I wish I would have gone for an ebike

Attachments

Funkster

Dec 9, 2019
I am absolutely gutted I have spent this amount of money that isn't clearly compatable to my bike when I was told it was

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The suggestion on the Woosh website is to stick the split disk to the spider; with sticky pads to check all is working, then with strong glue when you are sure. (see picture just a bit down the page https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits). The cable tie solution you show in your picture should work too.

One possible reason for the motor to cut in and out is if you are riding just at the limit of the assist (15.5mph). Or of course if you stop pedalling. I'd be very surprised if the kit isn't compatible with your bike.

I don't think you should need the throttle: Woosh suggested testing it to help narrow down where any issue might lie. As he says, email their support with pictures and they'll help sort it out; or post a few more pictires here with details of the problems and someone here will probably be able to help.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
How can this even be attached to the chainring,it's in two parts which makes it more difficult. Am really not sure about plug and play. There is nothing to stock it to. I wish I would have gone for an ebike
20220305_172504.jpg

This is the picture from woosh.co.uk. They talk about sticky pads. Could that help?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue is down to poor fitting and the buyer not familiar with fitting a kit.
The magnet disc need s to form a complete circle so that the magnets are sensed correctly. A bad workman blames every thing bar himself.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there should be some black sticky pads for the disc in your kit. They are very strong, there is no real need to add glue to make it permanent.
Please download the installation manual, the fitting of the magnet disc is on pages 4 and 5.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In your pic, it is clear 1. the disc ends don't mate and join and 2. the disc is so far pulled off centralisation that the sensor cannot sense the magnets bar may be on or two so any signal will be so poor that the PAS will be more then just erratic but next to useless in operation.
To sum up the fitting is extremely poor and to blame the kit as rubbish is nonsense.
Others have fitted the kits with no issues and I have fitted many kits types as well and the PAS fitting poses no issues if carried out correctly and all is central and equidistance to the crank axle.

Reactions: Nicholas Hammond

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Go back and look at your pic in post #6, the disc fitting forms a rotational pattern of a more oval shape then a true circular one, looking at it 70% of the magnets likely fail to be pick up by the stationary sensor head.

It is the diyer who doesn't understand or is familiar with being practical at fitting given that instructions are available to do the job correctly, we have seen it all before.
Your disappointment should be the fact that one has failed to install one critical small part correctly and it is the fitter and nit the kit at fault. Once rectified and fitted correctly one will find the kit will work fine, once fitted correctly ensure the gap from magnet face to sensor head is approx 1mm and not much greater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas Hammond