Woosh Karoo - heights

David10

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2016
Glagow
Hello,
First post - but I've been reading the site for a few weeks on and off.
I'm interested in a bike with a little bit of assist to help me do the long (but not especially steep) drag up to my house as part of a 7 mile commute I'm soon going to have to do (currently cycle about 5 miles each way 1-2 times per week).
I weight 65 kg and am 5'8''. I currently cycle an old genesis vapour which is a cross bike with a roab-bike type form, only less aggressive, frame size 56 cm.
The Woosh Karoo seems suitable - and Woosh were very helpful on the phone. However, I'm not sure about the 20'' frame. I know that this would be OK for a road bike type geometry, but would this be OK for the Karoo which is described as having a "trekking frame".
A nice to have is that it would be good to have a bike that my wife could occassionally use or try, and she is 5'6''.
Thanks very much.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
both of you can ride the Karoo.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
20" frame seems big to me for someone thats 5'6"........ I would have thought the seat would have to be as low as it will go, then you may have probs standing over the crossbar.
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inside leg and my hybrid is a 21" frame, i wouldn't like to go bigger.

Reactions: RobF

David10

Aug 5, 2016
Glagow
20" frame seems big to me for someone thats 5'6"........ I would have thought the seat would have to be as low as it will go, then you may have probs standing over the crossbar.
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inside leg and my hybrid is a 21" frame, i wouldn't like to go bigger.
Hi, thanks. I've got a 21" frame on my cross bike which is very comfortable. I'm wondering whether the karoo is more like a hybrid frame or a cross frame.
David

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Hi, thanks. I've got a 21" frame on my cross bike which is very comfortable. I'm wondering whether the karoo is more like a hybrid frame or a cross frame.
David
I've not seen the Karoo in the flesh, so i'm only assuming on sizes.....
But frame sizes are subjective, what suits some may not suit others even though they're the same height.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
It is difficult without a test ride!
Yup. always a gamble buying a bike without seeing or riding it.
I would ask Woosh for the standover height of the top tube..... it may give you better idea of whether it'll fit your missus.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi David,
Welcome to the forum. I'm just down the road from you in Greenock.

I'm the same height as you and my main electric bike is a 50cm hybrid framed Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

It's always felt comfortable to me and my daughter whose 5ft 3ins has ridden it around the isle of Bute (26 miles) and she managed fine with the seat fully lowered.

David10

Aug 5, 2016
Glagow
Thanks Kenny for that reassurance, and Yamdude, great suggestion. I'll check the top tube standing height with Woosh and if that's doable for occasional use for my wife I'll go for the Karoo.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Trekking is another way of saying road or hybrid frame to which you can fit racks and panniers and mudguards and lights and... Often they are slightly wider at the stays to fit wider tyres. And they often have chainsets and cassettes designed originally for MTBs.

David10

Aug 5, 2016
Glagow
Just thought I'd give an update for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread later. The distance from the ground to top of the top tube is, according to woosh on the phone today, 77cm.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just thought I'd give an update for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread later. The distance from the ground to top of the top tube is, according to woosh on the phone today, 77cm.
Standover clearance of 30" - the bike will be way too big for both of you.

Your lass would need a stepladder to mount it and a pair of Elton John's platform shoes to pedal it.

I'm afraid trex took his woosh sales role too far in suggesting 'both of you can ride the Karoo'.

That's something else anyone finding this thread later should bear in mind.

• :D
Reactions: IR772

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
robF, don't be so hasty. Check the same measurement on your own bike. If your trousers length is 31", you can ride the Karoo.
BTW, you criticized cheap forks last week but still have not told us which fork is on your bike.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Way too big then i'd imagine.....
Seeing how far the end of the seat tube goes above the top tube, the seat height is going to be near 95 cm at the lowest it'll go.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi David,

It's always felt comfortable to me and my daughter whose 5ft 3ins has ridden it around the isle of Bute (26 miles) and she managed fine with the seat fully lowered.
I wouldn't discount the Karoo too quickly.

Plenty of smaller folk have had a go my bike and the standover height is higher than the Karoo at 81cm at the top tube center.

Although they may be on the balls of their feet at a standstill, riding hasn't been a problem.

Putting the seat fully down makes the distance to the handlbars less of a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012