Woosh King Meter playing up?

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
The King Meter on my Woosh has suddenly stopped indicating both speed and distance travelled. The sensor on the rear wheel is correctly aligned with the contact on the frame (I think, but what is the gap between sensor and frame?)

It happened after I turned the back light on for a ride home one night. After a few miles I noted the above faults which were not there prior to turning on the back light. The current time, battery level etc are all still working. All the settings were as they were and the battery is not indicating any dimness.

Has anyone had this problem or can offer any advice?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
does the speed sensor have a LED on it?
if it does, then you can check if the LED blinks when the magnet passes in front of the sensor.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The King Meter on my Woosh has suddenly stopped indicating both speed and distance travelled.
I got the same symptoms a couple of weeks after I fitted my Woosh kit.
I emailed Andy at Woosh asking for advice, got a reply within a few hours and a new speed sensor arrived in the post 24 hours later which fixed the problem.
I find them very nice folk to deal with. Helpful and efficient.
Dave.

Reactions: VictoryV

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I got the same symptoms a couple of weeks after I fitted my Woosh kit.
I emailed Andy at Woosh asking for advice, got a reply within a few hours and a new speed sensor arrived in the post 24 hours later which fixed the problem.
I find them very nice folk to deal with. Helpful and efficient.
Dave.
What was the gap between the sensor and the magnet when it failed? I'm clutching at straws here, but will email Andy at Woosh as suggested

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
What was the gap between the sensor and the magnet when it failed? I'm clutching at straws here, but will email Andy at Woosh as suggested
around 3mm, Andy recommended as close as possible without touching.
email today, I'm sure you'll get a swift response.
Dave.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I had similar problem today after changing battery in King-Meter. Nothing else was different on the bike BUT the speed display remained on zero. My mileage seemed to be stuck but I noticed that, after travelling about 14 miles, the mileage had increased by 1! About 3 times on the ride, after switching King-Meter off (and cycling without battery assistance) and the back on again, the speed display showed some strange number (I think it showed 33 mph at one stage) but there was no battery power. I then switched the King-Meter off and back on again and, hey presto, the battery was working again (but back to the speed being stuck on zero). Normally I'd say it might be something to do with the speed sensor on the rear wheel but the only I have changed is the battery in the King-Meter. Anyone have any ideas?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check the speed sensor Hall with a meter, power the bike up and find the speed sensor connector at the controller. Probe the back of the connector Gnd/Black and 5v/Red to confirm 5v is present, if not Hall is defective and speed sensor needs replacing. If 5v is present probe the Gnd/Black and the third colour/Signal wire also slowly rotate the wheel to see if the voltage changes form 5v to 0v, if not change the speed sensor.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Check the speed sensor Hall with a meter, power the bike up and find the speed sensor connector at the controller. Probe the back of the connector Gnd/Black and 5v/Red to confirm 5v is present, if not Hall is defective and speed sensor needs replacing. If 5v is present probe the Gnd/Black and the third colour/Signal wire also slowly rotate the wheel to see if the voltage changes form 5v to 0v, if not change the speed sensor.
Thanks for your advice. Not sure I have the technical ability (or equipment) to carry out those checks so, as a first step, I will try Andy at Woosh bikes.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I took Nealh's advice and contacted Andy at Woosh Bikes. After trying a few things that Andy suggested, his hunch was that it was a faulty speed sensor. I ordered a replacement from him (less than £20) and....Eureka!......it sorted the problem. All now working again. Andy (and Woosh bikes in general) is always so helpful.....one of many reasons to buy from them (No, I'm not on 10%!). Anyway, thought I'd post up the solution - in case anyone else has same problem.

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Hall sensor must have failed as that and the wiring is all there is too them plus the magnet for the signal to work.