Woosh Sirocco Sport

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

This bike was lent to me by Woosh so that I could review it for you. I don't owe Woosh any favours, so what I write is how it is.

The bike came in a large carton. The pedals, seat and front wheel are detatched and the handlebars hang by their cables. The instructions are in the charger box.

The first thing to do is get the battery on charge. To remove the battery you need the keys, which are tied to the cables at the handlebars.

Assembly involves screwing on the pedals which are marked left and right, but the instructions don't mention that the left hand pedal has a left-hand thread, so look out for that. To assemble the handlebars, you undo the 4 screws on the stem with the supplied hex key to remove the clamp-plate, put the handlebars in place and screw the clamp-plate back on. Don't tighten the screws until you've adjusted the height of the handlebars for which one screw on the side of the stem has to be loosened right off, otherwise you'll have the levers at the wrong angle. So, you fix the handlebars loosely in place, adjust the height of the handlebars, rotate the handlebars to get the levers at the right angle and tighten the handlebar clamp. The seat just slides in and is clamped in place with the quick-release clamp. All this takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

Now that it's assembled, you can check it out. This is what you get:
- 250w Bafang SWXB motor
- 8.8aH bottle battery with Sansung ICR18650-22F cells with maximum discharege rate of 17.6 amps
- 15 amp controller integrated into the battery holder and is potted so tamper-proof
- independent throttle and PAS
- 18 speed Shimano Tourney SIS gears with 44/14 top gear
- sprung seatpost
- Velo Plush seat
- Top Gun 111SA-CEN suspension forks 50mm (?) travel
- Cheng Shin knobbly tyres
- aluminium alloy frame
- cable disk brakes.
- weight 19.2kg with battery (on my scales)

The frame looked quite small, but with the seat and handlebars up, it fitted me (5ft 10")pretty well.

A quick test showed that everything worked as it should; however, the left pedal just touched the stand, so I pushed the stand back a bit and tightened its fixing bolt. later I found out that like on all bikes with this type of stand (and others) that when you push the bike backwards, the pedal jams under the stand and pulls it out a bit, so you have to make sure that the fixing bolt is very tight or lift the stand before pushing the bike backwards, which is the logical thing to do.

The first test was directly to our short 14% test hill. I could just get up in top gear with hard pedalling. I tried again in 4th gear and it got up with minimal effort from me. Throughout my use of this bike I never needed to change off the biggest chainwheel, so I'll refer to the gears as 1 to 6 even though it has 18. One thing that I did notice was how smooth and quiet the motor is even under high load. It seems that Bafang has improved a lot since my QSWXK5 two and a half years ago.

Next test was a 20 mile trip down Ironbridge Gorge and back. This gave me a chance to fully evaluate comfort, handling, etc. The steering is very precise and good for manoeuvring in tight situations. I guess the lightness of the bike helped too. The cycle paths were covered in leaves, but no problem with grip from the off-road tyres, which also rolled very well on tarmac. I had been riding for more than half an hour before I even thought about the suspension, so it does its job, but you can't expext too much from only two inches of travel. There was no clatter from the front forks like you get on some cheap ones and they contribute to an exceptionally normal all-round ride that's really quiet. Even the knoobbly tyres don't make any noise. I couldn't fault anything. The ride was completely uneventful,. Everything worked perfectly and I just concentrated on having a nice ride.

The PAS on level 2 is really smooth - none of that fierceness that you get on some bikes that give full power as soon as you start pedalling. I had been riding for well over an hour before I even thought of standing up on the pedals to give my back-side a rest. The only negative point was that the front brake doesn't seem very sharp. Maybe it'll improve once it's had a bit of use. The back brake has everything the same, but performs better. For the first 15 miles I only used the default middle power setting, and the PAS system works nicely, so no need to use the throttle, but when I started the final ascent up the gorge, I switched to high power. By now two of the four lights were out on the display, and under full power, the slight voltage sag extinguished another light, so I managed the ascent with only one LED lit using first and second gears with no serious pedal effort. It was a bit worrying wondering if the battery was going to cut out half way up, but it made it easily. Once I levelled out at the top, I decided to throttle a bit to see if I could use up the battery before I got home. With only one LED lit (about 33v) speed and power were noticeably less than when I set off, which is not surprising with 25% less volts, and now top speed was down to about 13.5mph. With 20.5 miles on the meter, and after a short rest, the battery voltage was 35.5v and two LEDs were lit on the display. I later did a couple of laps round the block to take it to exactly 25 miles,when the last LED started flashing. The power was now significantly down, so I called it a day. You have to bear in mind that this journey is very hilly and I'm 100kg, so a 75kg rider on normal roads should be able to do 35 to 40 miles on assist level 2. One thing I did notice on these laps was how well it rolled down the hills. I was free-wheeling at 20mph+ on only slight inclines.

I bought my cheap chinese Sunlova for £540 two and a half years ago and did 2000 miles on it before selling it to a friend, who's still using it. The Woosh Sirocco Sport is better than the Sunlova in that the electrics are much better finished and waterproofed and it's better looking and smoother and quieter. I can't see any weak points on this bike, where I'd say you need to keep an eye on other than routine service items like spokes and brakes, so for £599 it has to be good value.

Those of you that know me, know that I like to change things and tinker, but on this bike it's not easy because of the battery and controller arrangement. The controller's sealed in the compartment at the bottom of the battery, and although the battery's stronger than the standard bottle batteries, it's not strong enough to give any significant increase in power, so you'd need a new controller and battery to get more power, in which case you'd be better off starting from scratch with a kit and a bike. I think you have to say that it is what it is, which is adequate for most people. The only sensible improvements would be lights and mudguards, and maybe investigate different brake pads. I hope we see better colours and some Woosh stickers oon future batches and I think I'd be happpier on a bigger frame - although I was comfortable,the frame just looks small with me on it.

Summary:
Strong points are: Smooth, quiet motor; reasonable climbing ability; everything works well to give a neutral ride with reasonable comfort; stealthiness;light weight.
Weak points are: front brake power.

I can't imagine anybody being disappointed with this bike. It does everything that it's supposed to well. You can pay three times as much to get one that climbs better or twice as much to get one with slightly better suspension and better equipment.

Reactions: JamesW

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Woosh Sirocco Sport - my first electric bike

After a few weeks of reading all about electric bikes, I decided to purchase my first electric bike ...... a Woosh Sirocco Sport. I spoke to Hatti when I ordered the bike, a pleasant lady. She asked various questions to establish that I was ordering the correct size bike etc., and explained all about regular maintenance.

The bike arrived on 5th March as arranged. I asked Hatti if it was possible to request a morning delivery, and the bike arrived at 9.30 a.m. Instead of waiting for my son to come over from Leeds to assemble the bike, I decided to assemble the bike myself. I asked my daughter to pop round to assist with lifting the bike out of the box. The bike did not feel as heavy as I had anticipated, and we easily lifted the bike out. My daughter then departed, and I started to set to and assemble the bike.

I removed the battery and connected the charger. There are step by step instructions on how to assemble the wheel, handlebars, seat and pedals. As per the instructions, I removed the quick release skewer very carefully from between the spokes of the front wheel, so that I would not lose either of the 2 springs. However, there was only 1 spring on the skewer. My other 2 mountain bikes do not have quick release wheels, so I had no spare springs in the house. I had to then go out and catch the bus to the nearest cycle shop and get a spring..........I also got spares for the future. When I arrived back home, I attached the handlebars, pedals and seat post. All very easy and simple to do with the toolkit that was provided. I could really do with adjusting the height of the handlebars ever so slightly, but the screw is very tight and I cannot turn it. There are no instructions on handlebar adjustment.

Battery fully charged, I put on my helmet and went out to test the bike. I had not been cycling for about 9 months due to ill health, so my initial reaction when I set off on the lowest setting of pedal assist, was that the bike seemed very easy to pedal. Wow I thought, this is great. I went across to the park, had a good ride up and down to get used to the controls etc., then set off up to the canal towpath. To get onto the towpath I had to first go up a slope to go over the canal bridge. Not since my younger days (I am now 58), have I been able to cycle up to the top. I put the pedal assist into the middle setting, and to my amazement, I cycled up to the top with very little effort. The towpath near home has a good tarmac path, so I was able to merrily cycle along the towpath very easily. I tried the throttle out a couple of times, and this is absolutely brilliant. A couple of people sat on a wall looked at me in amazement as I went whizzing past without pedalling! I cycled about 5 miles that day, and arrived home feeling very pleased with my new bike.

My second outing took me on the same 5 mile route, and a few miles extra. After my illness, I am building my fitness level back up gradually, so I am presently not able to cycle very far, and am keeping onto the canal towpath for now. I live in the Pendle area of Lancashire, so there are quite a few hills round here. When I start tackling these hills, I'll let you know how the bike performs.

My third outing on the bike was on Thursday, for approx 8 miles, this time going the opposite way on the canal towpath. The pedal assist on the bike started cutting out intermittently, and then stopped working altogether, but the throttle still worked. I sent an email Thursday evening to Woosh, and got a reply from Hatti first thing on Friday morning saying that she had passed my email onto the technical staff. He contacted me later and said he thought the problem could be a loose connection. He asked if I or somone I knew would be willing to check the connector, and gave full instructions and photos how to do this. Early Friday evening, I followed his instructions and looked at the connector, but because it was dark when I had finished, I have not yet been able to check whether or not the problem has been resolved. I am pleased with the support so far, they contacted me with a possible solution to the problem very promptly. Hopefully when I try the bike tomorrow, the pedal assist will work. I will let you know the outcome.

Before the fault occurred, I was very pleased with the bike. On the last outing, when I was cycling back without the pedal assist, I did start to try more of the gears and found that they needed adjusting as they were not shifting on some gears. This is only minor, and I've found this on bikes before, so it is not a problem really.

I'm 5ft 6", so the bike frame is a good size for me. I already own a gents mountain bike, so had no problem with this being a gents frame. Perhaps Woosh will do a WSD frame in the future? I would also have preferred a choice of colour, but again that may be an option in the future. A cycle computer and lights would be good, though at the moment I don't need lights. I should imagine this will bump up the price, but*perhaps could be offerred as an optional extra.

Looking at the time, I'm off to bed now, so apologies if there are any spelling errors in my typing.

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
This is an update re the pedal assist problem that I had. Emails back and forth from Woosh technical support, the problem has now been determined that it was not due to a loose connection, but due to the black plastic disc not rotating. I tried to reposition the black disc, but was not able to move it. To fix the problem, I have had to glue the black disc (using a combination of super and epoxy glues) to the small chain wheel. Due to the bad weather etc., I have only been able to get out for a ride today to test the repair. Cycled 8.1 miles, and the pedal assist is working perfectly ok. Hopefully, I will have no further problems with this fault. The fault should not have occurred in the first place, and Woosh have apologised profusely. I've still no idea why the plastic disc has to be glued to the small chain wheel. I could see initially that there were 4 blobs of glue on the back of the disc, totally useless, and I cannot understand why the plastic disc has to be fixed to anything at all.........should it??

I decided to tackle a hill today, and was very pleased how easily I could pedal up to the top with very little effort. I had cycled part way up the hill, and then thought I should have taken a picture of the hill before I started. No idea what the gradient is, and yes it is not the steepest of hills, but this is the first proper hill that I have tested the bike out on. This first photo is looking back down the first part of the hill..........
1.jpg

The next three photos are continuing up the hill, until the road flattens out at the top.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Quality control is not the strongest point of cheaper bikes, although you've done well to sort it, and the bike is now likely to be reliable.

After I posted my review of the Scirocco 2 a couple of rear spokes broke.

That can happen on any bike, and may have been a function of my weight and loading the bike with two pannier bags of shopping from Morrisons.

As regards adjusting your handlebars, the stem adjuster bolt will be fairly tight.

The allen keys supplied are usually stubby ones, so you could get a longer set which will give a lot more leverage.

They are available from the likes of Halfords and B@Q or lots online, including this set:

Silverline 675323 9 Piece Ball End Hex Key Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

royH

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
Hi all, I have resurrected this thread to say thank you for the reviews on the Sirocco Sport as this is one of the bikes on my shortlist for buying my first e-bike. Its been very helpful to know the views given are totally unbiased.

Once again many thanks!