Woosh starts shipping Tongsheng TSDZ8 with 250W label

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's a bit of a beast, but a good looking one, complete with throttle and a 250W Tongsheng label to comply with EPAC regulations.
You can leave the throttle kit in the box, your installation will be of course neater.
Gone is the anti-torque hanger on the TSDZ2B.
Powerwise, it is basically comparable to a BBS02B but with a torque sensor, so you don't need to worry about gear sensors and your chain and gears,

The firstb 10 kits to forum members are offered at a special price of £329 instead of the normal price £385.
Prices include DPD next business day delivery.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Powerwise, it is basically comparable to a BBS02B but with a torque sensor, so you don't need to worry about gear sensors and your chain and gears,
When the rider stops pedalling, how long does it take for motor power to stop, to allow time for the gear change? If motor power doesn't stop fast enough or takes too long to resume, can that time interval be altered using the display, or by changing a parameter(s?) in firmware?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it is set in firmware but everyone riding on Tongsheng TSDZ seems to be OK with gear shift.
I personnally find that it is fast enough for me not to think about it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have to measure it so will answer in a few days when the weather gets better.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it is set in firmware but everyone riding on Tongsheng TSDZ seems to be OK with gear shift.
I personnally find that it is fast enough for me not to think about it.
The reason why I ask, is because that time interval can't be altered on the BBS01B with gear sensor for the one set of circumstances when it doesn't work wonderfully on my bike: When changing to lower gears uphill in the pouring rain, the gear change takes a split second longer and motor power resumes too soon. In the dry up the same hill, on flats etc. no problem. The TSDZ8 is a new motor, so I'll wait to see what firmware fiddling options crop up over the next couple of years, but it sounds like a great deal for a powerful motor, with fast DPD delivery too.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In this video on throttle, 15A?
I don't know for sure. They arrived 3 weeks ago but I was in France then, just came home for Christmas and back to work today. I will check it out when the weather permits.
Is it 20A controller?
What is the BB width?
The controller is capable of 20A continuous but I don't know if Tongsheng limited it.
The BB width is good for both 68mm and 73mm, similar to Bafang BBSes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
At the moment, yes. The controller will work with compatible LCDs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With appropriate gearing, I imagine 48V X 15A = 720W mid-drive will get the bike and almost all heavy riders up any hill. 48V X 20A = 960W for substantially fatter than rapid fatso?

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With appropriate gearing, I imagine 48V X 15A = 720W mid-drive will get the bike and almost all heavy riders up any hill.
it should in the right gear, and effortlessly with the throttle without worrying about gear shifting.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Is there anyway to configure the throttle so it only assists to 6km/h or only operates when pedalling so it can be legally used?

Alternatively it is a kit and while it's seen as a grey area the department for transport 250W LPM clarification does state its legal for ebike kits to have a twist and go throttle however from what Wisper stated you must have a kickstand and front and rear lights that operate from a single switch to meet that standard. Maybe Wisper can clarify if I have remembered wrongly.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there anyway to configure the throttle so it only assists to 6km/h or only operates when pedalling

It's possible to do this in firmware but I don't think it is necessary.
You pedal normally with a ts kit. If you want to respect the spirit of the law, you also pedal when climbing a hill, the throttle makes possible to pedal as much as you like.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Wisper stated you must have a kickstand and front and rear lights that operate from a single switch to meet that standard. Maybe Wisper can clarify if I have remembered wrongly.
Yep, and it's got me itching to reorganise the lights I've soldered to my ebike battery, yet again, in case I want get out of jail certification at some point in the future.

It’s worth mentioning that to obtain approval an EAPC must have a stand. It must also have working front and rear lights that work off the same switch. So our trail / off road models cannot be approved unless we fit them.

All the best, David
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/curious-about-the-difference-between-allowed-wattage-for-250w-lpm-ebikes-and-normal-eu-ebike-legislation.46544/#post-699830

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
It's possible to do this in firmware but I don't think it is necessary.
You pedal normally with a ts kit. If you want to respect the spirit of the law, you also pedal when climbing a hill, the throttle makes possible to pedal as much as you like.
I do like the way a torque sensor works and feels and makes you feel stronger. However my desire to use a throttle is to use the motor less not more. I just want to cycle my bike as much as possible without assistance and then use the throttle only when I need power at exact times like pulling away from junctions and of course climbing hills. This massively extends the range of the battery well beyond the often stated range. I want the level of power at my finger tips.

I don't respect the spirit of the law I think its anti-consumer and unfair but like many unfair laws still have to adhere to them. Personally I feel legislation that works against throttles is the crime and its those that came up with such legislation who should be prosecuted but there you go. I do think its brilliant that the 250W LPM legislation has allowed twist and go throttles back in for those that really need a throttle like so many with impaired health can enjoy cycling again and help extend their lifespan.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do like the way a torque sensor works and feels and makes you feel stronger. However my desire to use a throttle is to use the motor less not more. I just want to cycle my bike as much as possible without assistance and then use the throttle only when I need power at exact times like pulling away from junctions and of course climbing hills. This massively extends the range of the battery well beyond the often stated range. I want the level of power at my finger tips.

I don't respect the spirit of the law I think its anti-consumer and unfair but like many unfair laws still have to adhere to them. Personally I feel legislation that works against throttles is the crime and its those that came up with such legislation who should be prosecuted but there you go. I do think its brilliant that the 250W LPM legislation has allowed twist and go throttles back in for those that really need a throttle like so many with impaired health can enjoy cycling again and help extend their lifespan.
we can agree that laws are not perfect, but there are inexpensive solutions available to those who are affected by some physical impediment.
The worst hit are car drivers. My wife had to pay £75 fine through no fault of her own. The car in front stopped suddenly, just for about 5 seconds. This happened at the Green Man roundabout in Leytonstone. She was trapped in the yellow box behind his car for 5 seconds.

Reactions: Tony1951

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

I 100% agree with your comments! As you know I was in the room when the decision was made to close the loop hole that allowed throttles. The comment from the BAGB (Bicycle Association of Great Britain) was that a throttle has no place on a bicycle and the MCIA (Motor Cycle Industry Association agreed with them!!)

My argument was that a throttle made cycling more not less inclusive and after much debate the new class of low powered e moped was introduced. Which is basically an EPAC with a full throttle to 15.5mph.

We offer a full throttle to 4mph on all our bikes and full throttle to 15.5 as long as the pedal cranks are being rotated clockwise. This is perfectly acceptable under the current EPAC legislation and as you say offers the ability to "tweak" assistance when needed rather than having to change from one power level to another.

Unfortunately to legally operate the throttle up to 15.5mph without pedaling we need t0 get the bike approved. Which is basically an official check to ensure the bike meets EPAC regs, has stand and lights that work from one switch. It's obvious from the 8 week waiting list for these bikes that there is a strong demand.

All the best, David

Last edited: