Yamaha 500w battery 2017

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As I said, he sold me my battery - at a small discount - as a first time customer.

No business is obliged to deal with anyone.

To use the quaint legal phrase, an offer of something for sale is an 'invitation to treat'.

Strictly speaking, when you buy anything you make an offer to the seller who is at liberty to accept it, negotiate with you, or simply refuse your offer.

For the vast majority of transactions the process is streamlined, you offer the advertised price and the retailer automatically accepts it.

But it doesn't have to be that way.
You might think so ... That the seller is at liberty to accept or reject. .. There was is an interesting case in northern Ireland, within the current year , where a family bakery were taken to court by persons representing a marriage equality agenda ( same sex marriage) for refusing to ice a cake with slogans promoting this agenda. The bakery is was run by a family with strong religious convictions regarding the sanctity of traditional unions.
The bakery lost this case and the subsequent appeals

Reactions: tisme

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You might think so ... That the seller is at liberty to accept or reject. .. There was is an interesting case in northern Ireland, within the current year , where a family bakery were taken to court by persons representing a marriage equality agenda ( same sex marriage) for refusing to ice a cake with slogans promoting this agenda. The bakery is was run by a family with strong religious convictions regarding the sanctity of traditional unions.
The bakery lost this case and the subsequent appeals
That was a gay discrimination case,

The bakery owners were found to have demonstrated hostility to a particular group - gays - based on their membership of that group.

Not at all analagous to Martin who is choosing to offer accessories only to people who have previously bought a bicycle from him.

Except me, so I do wonder about the enforcement of the policy.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
In response to Simon C's post about the growth in computing:

The market for computers was driven by the sudden widespread availability of the internet, the internet's adoption by lots of people, public bodies and businesses, and giant leaps forward in the hardware.

A more different situation to ebikes it would be impossible to imagine.

Growth in use is glacially slow and significant advances in technology are even slower,

Ebikes have been in and out of Halfords for years, and I think this is the third attempt by Evans to sell them.

Manufacturing cost for that Yamaha battery and is probably sub £200 including cells and electronics.

That leaves a kings ransome of a margin for the manufacturer, Distributor and Retailer alike, nice business if you can get it.

It's all about to change though, as battery cell production is ramped up by an order of magnitude never seen before, the current Panasonic cell is to be replaced by a higher density unit, then the fun will begin.

Retailers will not loose out, as volumes will increase, just a case of profit per unit will be less, the retailers will just have to work a little harder!
A bike shop operates on a margin of 30 to 40 percent on a big ticket item such as a bicycle.

If the shop is paying best part of £500 for a Bosch battery it would need to sell the item for best part of £700, which, surprise, surprise, is what happens.

You may think that a king's ransom, but you might also agree a bike shop is not a licence to print money, without a decent margin on large items many would close.

Your prediction the battery market 'is all about to change' looks unlikely.

The new cells - if we ever see them in ebike batteries - are another incremental improvement.

If the cells are better, they will sell for more money not less.

The ebike battery market is tiny, so even if cells do drop in price a bit, all the other costs of making an ebike battery will remain relatively high.

Not to mention general upward price pressure on imported manufactured goods.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I agree with RobF, as at this current point in time, Ebikes are relatively niche, but I am hopeful that will change.

The new Panasonic 2170 Lion Cell, will be the highest density Lion Cell in the world and also the cheapest, not my words but from Elon Musk himself!

So that will be the death nell for the 18650 Panasonic Lion Cell.

Of course all this is going to take time, and I don't expect my predictions to come to fruition until 2020, but you never know in this fast changing world.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

The bakery owners were found to have demonstrated hostility to a particular group - gays - based on their membership of that group.

Not at all analagous to Martin who is choosing to offer accessories only to people who have previously bought a bicycle from him.

The only point I was making in selecting that instance is that one's freedom to engage in commerce is more circumscribed than your initial statement would suggest . There were a number of conclusions and ramafications from that case regarding civil liberties with which I would have issue.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
A 400wh battery cost £499 or £1.25 per wh. The 500wh battery featured cost 1.70 per wh. I would go for the extra 400wh and double the range.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Is it not beyond the ingenuity of man (ebay battery supply man) to find a way to refurbish the Yamaha and Bosch batteries. Surely they cannot be that protected from tampering for a professional to find a way of doing so. Surely the batteries inside cannot be that different. With the high price of replacing one of these brands it sounds like an opportunity for someone.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The thing is the proprietary electronics in the battery case may have a charge counter or a cell amperage detector or other manner of limiting the ability to swap cells. If you remove the BMS and put a standard one in then the controller may not recognise it and refuse to function. I have a Sony laptop that only works well with Sony batteries. It also works with non Sony batteries but you lose a few handy features such as knowing how much power is left...

tisme

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2016
kent
Is it not beyond the ingenuity of man (ebay battery supply man) to find a way to refurbish the Yamaha and Bosch batteries. Surely they cannot be that protected from tampering for a professional to find a way of doing so. Surely the batteries inside cannot be that different. With the high price of replacing one of these brands it sounds like an opportunity for someone.
I'm almost looking forward to my battery dieing just so I can have a go, unless anyone has a knackered Hiabike yam battery they don't want.

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Buy 3 of these for less!
I bought the 468w version of this. Its great. I paid £299! 400w one is £249.
POWERGIANT Electric Bike Downtube Battery Pack 11000mAh Li-ion Ebike Rechargeable Battery for Yamaha 36V Drive Impulse System,36V HAIBIKE, SDURO HardSeven SL|RC|RX SDURO HardLife RC, SDURO HardNine SL|RC|RX SDURO FullNine RC|RX, 1 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XG9SLMB/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_Q98Bzb0VP8DFX

• Informative
Reactions: tisme