yamaha easy

bigplum

Just Joined
Nov 27, 2011
hi,

I have just bought a Yamaha easy,
It had been stored for a long time , very dirty and unloved but after a clean up and a charge it works! . I doubt the battery is much good ,still gives assist though.
I will have to do something about the battery lock, no replacements are availible but the barrel looks fairly standard .

are there any manauls online anywhere? , yamaha seems to have forgotten they made it

I originally bought it with a mind to convert my recumbent trike , the space for the motor looks a bit tight and the yamaha seems too good

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Yamaha PAS unit based models were popular in the UK from 1999 but lost out to the Panasonic equipped Lafree from it's introduction in 2001 so Yamaha dropped them from the UK market quite early. The last company in the UK providing any support removed their webpages on this some while ago, so I know of no UK help.

These bikes remained on the mainland European market where they were more popular through to late 2006 so more is known there, particularly in France. The only help I can give is the link below to a French Language PDF manual for a bike using the same PAS power unit. This includes diagrams/schematics etc, so may well be of some use. The battery can be re-celled of course to bring it back into full service:

French Yamaha PAS unit PDF manual

bigplum

Just Joined
Nov 27, 2011
thanks for the reply,
the bike came with a spare odd battery and charger , pale grey ni cad battery and black yamaha 5AS1 charger,
the battery pack on the bike is dark grey/black , is it nicad or nimh ? how much roughly for a recell?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't say for certain whether NiMh or NiCad since the Yamaha bikes used both at different times. The last derivation of the Easy model, the Super Easy, used a 137 Wh Nimh battery weighing 4 kilos. That weight might help identification since NiCad would be lighter for a similar capacity.

Re-celling companies disappear at such a rate that I can't quote prices or recommend one as being good. Here's two current ones you can contact for prices:

RE-CELLING of Nickel Cadmium & Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Packs

Refurbish and recycle your batteries | recellyourbattery.com

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi if you go into ebay germany and search for yamaha akku you will see some battery pacs for these bikes

jim