Yamaha motor troubleshooting

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
I have a haibike hardnine sduro SL 2015. Overall the motor works fine. However recently I started to notice weird clicks from the motor while power pedalling. I can reproduce the click if I am standing still on the bike, shift my weight to the right and press on the pedal. Does anyone have the same clicking sound? I suspect that the problem is in the star wheel (I am not sure if it is technically correct word for it), as the sound resembles clicking which happens when crank arms are spinning backwards. Can anyone advice?

PatMcrotch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2015
Sorry to hear you are having probs with the Yammy. I have the full nine and have not noticed the sound you are describing. Have you done many KM's on it?

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
I've done about 1200 km on it. Mine is derestricted with bikespeed RS as well. Have you tried to reproduce the sound with your rear shock locked? You have to put quite a pressure on the right pedal to get it. It does not matter if motor on or off, it still clicks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
have you serviced it ? bits come lose and fall of :)

PatMcrotch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2015
I've done about 1200 km on it. Mine is derestricted with bikespeed RS as well. Have you tried to reproduce the sound with your rear shock locked? You have to put quite a pressure on the right pedal to get it. It does not matter if motor on or off, it still clicks.
I will try Tomorrow and let you know if I can re-produce it.[emoji6]

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
have you serviced it ? bits come lose and fall of
No I didn't, I am afraid to open the motor, I've read that they don't require service and everything is sealed. And if I could just bring the bike to a shop I would have done it 200 km ago, when it all started. The thing is I live in Russia and no one sells yamaha pedelecs here. I bought mine online in Germany and my friends agreed to bring it back from there on their way back from a trip. It was a bold move, but I wanted mid mount mtb pretty badly.

I will try Tomorrow and let you know if I can re-produce it.[emoji6]
Thanks. I will try to film the clicking sound tomorrow. I will also try to refit crank arms and spider, perhaps it will help.

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
worse with the bosch with no warranty as want old motor as just cant by a new one.
680 euro

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
If it only happens on the right hand side try a different pedal, it could be that. My son had a one sided click on his non electric bike which turned out to be the pedal.

Last edited:

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Well, luckily it turned out to be a false alarm. The sound was coming from one of the chainring bolts washers. I found out that it was snapped when I removed the chainring. I fitted new chainring with single chainring bolts and there is no sound. So happy end.

On the plus side I now know what chainrings fit yamaha spider. Any shimano tripple chainring will fit. So I will fit 44/38t chainrings with a front mech soon.