Yet another battery question

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK so were all sick of battery questions but I'm looking for a technology question/answer.
This question is probably best answered by trade members of folks who have had many e-bikes.

Given that tech has moved on in leaps and bounds since I brought my Agattu in 2008 with its 26v 10a battery.
I'm now looking at a Cube with the Bosch drive unit (cruise) ? And Bosch 400 battery.
Keeping to my same riding style, can i expect a better range from the cube.
I'm not looking for a answer in miles, that would be daft, but a rough idea on how much more efficient this new tech is would be nice.
Thanks Carl

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I don't see any reason why we should not answer in miles. Your bike is going up in capacity from 260 Wh to 400 Wh. Ballpark is 10 wh per mile so you should increase your range from 26 to 40 miles. Your new bike will have a nice fresh battery whereas the old one was probably pretty much finished. I expect your range to double,the Bosch system is very fuel efficient.
Out of interest will you scrap your old bike? I only ask because I have had a lot of potential customers in last week who's old e-bikes were holding almost no charge in their batteries,the bikes were 3-4 years old,most seemed resigned to scrapping their old bike because of the difficulty/ expense of replacing batteries. Not exactly green if these bikes are disposable items after 4 years.!!!
KudosDave

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
OK so were all sick of battery questions but I'm looking for a technology question/answer.
This question is probably best answered by trade members of folks who have had many e-bikes.

Given that tech has moved on in leaps and bounds since I brought my Agattu in 2008 with its 26v 10a battery.
I'm now looking at a Cube with the Bosch drive unit (cruise) ? And Bosch 400 battery.
Keeping to my same riding style, can i expect a better range from the cube.
I'm not looking for a answer in miles, that would be daft, but a rough idea on how much more efficient this new tech is would be nice.
Thanks Carl
I am not an expert but I have owned a bosch powered bike with the 400wh battery since June last year. At the very worst I get 35 to 40 miles including climbing over 3000 feet. Without the big climbs I have been getting up to 60 miles per charge. Hope this helps.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the new technology has not improved battery consumption.
While Chinese bikes tend to have full power throttle, Bosch bikes have many programs to get the most out of you, your input is between 30%-50%, the battery supplies the rest.

Reactions: Gubbins

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Well KudosDave
The Agattu has the potential for me to put it back to standard with no dents or scratches ( not to many any how) so a shame to scrap it. Anywho I'm £500 short on the price of the Cube so I'm hoping to get something back on the Agattu, probably on the bay?
I did 22 miles today ( bike shop and back) power on all the time 1/3rd flat & 1:1 hills.18 miles before the last red light started flashing, at this point I switched to my new backup battery.

Note, my backup battery is 2 off Hobbyking 7s 5amp lipos wired as 7s2p 10 amp, on there own they have a range in the mid 20's (24/26ish) only ran them twice though.

Last edited: