Yet more stuff in the media on battery fires and kits

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I'm just hoping migrants won't be found getting into the country on e-bike powered boats...the Daily Fail will have a field day with that one.
£716 on Aliexpress + DIY conversion, so probably cheaper than paying a bunch of criminals for a boat trip.

No wheels, so it would need to be a bottom bracket conversion.

Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Here we go on Alibaba, up to 300kg. Get at least 3 people per trip...

They also have incredible manufacture and supply capabilities!

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Judge Simon Batiste told Marin "Britain has no need for criminals such as you coming into this country. Sadly we have our own home-grown criminals" :)
Mr Ahmed said: "Since 2015 he has made a concerted effort and was successful in entering the UK, entering via various ports from Ireland and Northern Ireland."

We went from Holyhead to Dublin and back in our campervan with two dogs and there was absolutely no checks either way - we just got waved through

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Judge Simon Batiste told Marin "Britain has no need for criminals such as you coming into this country. Sadly we have our own home-grown criminals" :)
Mr Ahmed said: "Since 2015 he has made a concerted effort and was successful in entering the UK, entering via various ports from Ireland and Northern Ireland."

We went from Holyhead to Dublin and back in our campervan with two dogs and there was absolutely no checks either way - we just got waved through
There are. That's why they insist that you leave the vehicle during the crossing.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
There are. That's why they insist that you leave the vehicle during the crossing.
Couldn't anyone illegally entering the country do the same ? Nobody checked our passports, the dogs animal health certificates, anything - they just checked our vehicle had a ticket and waved us through. Anyone illegally entering the country could just drive onto the ferry, go into the Lounge for the crossing, and then drive off the ferry at the other end ?

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Couldn't anyone illegally entering the country do the same ? Nobody checked our passports, the dogs animal health certificates, anything - they just checked our vehicle had a ticket and waved us through. Anyone illegally entering the country could just drive onto the ferry, go into the Lounge for the crossing, and then drive off the ferry at the other end ?
This is the compromise made to support the Good Friday Agreement, and Brexit.

After Brexit, there should have been a hard border between Eire (an EU country) and the UK. This would have prejudiced the G.F.A. which had basically removed all border controls between the North and South parts of Ireland. (The G.F.A. has always been seen by Americans, as the first visible step toward unification.)

In principle, there ought to be a border somewhere in the Irish sea. This wasn't acceptable to a loyalist faction in the North, who felt any border between the mainland and the North was not acceptable. There is no solution to three parties (Americans, EU, Loyalists) all wanting different things. The British government didn't and doesn't have a choice that involves border controls. The answer was if the EU wants a border, they can pay for it and police it. The Irish, who are EU members obviously, want to keep the G.F.A. in place, so their "border" is more a concept than a reality.

The demographics of N.I. are changing and the anticipation is the Loyalists will no longer have a majority vote in 5 to 10 years, "in theory" enabling a referendum that could lead to unification. Why "in theory"? The people in N.I. currently enjoy support from the mainland that includes funding for a 'free at point of use' healthcare service. And many other 'benefits' that make living in the UK, attractive to those that don't live here. It's possible that even if there is a political will for unification, there maybe be some financial reluctance by those who might otherwise cast a winning vote in favour of unification.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well, tbf, your bike is slightly intimidating ;) even the 5o daren't go near it:cool::p
I'm quite mystified as to why I haven't yet been stopped by the fuzz. I've passed them during the day with all my "1800 Lumen" lights flashing brightly, clad head to toe in hiviz, sticking out like a sore thumb, obviously not a stealthed out Rinja hiding in shadows. I was wondering if they're put off by the GoPro camera on my jawguard? Sure as hell I'd record the interaction.

(there's always a hiviz blouson or vest over this and other leather jackets, which have loads of pockets for gadgets. Emptying my pockets would take ages)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are probably a lot of controls you don't know about - maybe face recognition. They appear to pull people at random, but it's not random. Some sort of intelligence tells them who to pull. I know they check your vehicle because, I got pulled after what was in mine didn't add up. They went through all the standard questions, then got down to the nitty gritty. As soon as they I gave the answer to their anomaly, they waved me on. To see the anomaly, they had to use a key or X-ray.

I know on flights, their intelligence (AI) looks for abnormal patterns , like people going on holiday to non-holuday locations or going to holiday locations without holiday stuff, or somebody different paying for the ticket. Nothing is as easy as it looks.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Sure as hell I'd record the interaction
It's a sad state of affairs when recording a interaction with the 5o is a now a given.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant trust pc plod :p

Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a sad state of affairs when recording a interaction with the 5o is a now a given.
Would the GoPro work while I'm being tasered?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You don't look like you are the 'full ticket' maybe? ;) :D
Metropolitan Police: Move to attend fewer mental health calls sparks alarm

" From September, officers will only attend mental health 999 calls where there is an "immediate threat to life". "

...I must look a harmless nutter...

Or they are just plain scared of you. :cool:
They're probably scared of the paperwork involved in a mental health referral.

Reactions: FastFreddy2

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Would the GoPro work while I'm being tasered?
Most likely, yes. The shock goes mainly through your skin via the shortest path. The path from your body up to your head is much longer, plus the camera is likely to be on an insulating fitting.

Also, with all the tin foil you are wearing, you will probably short out the taser, leaving you completely unharmed :D

Reactions: PC2017 and guerney

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Metropolitan Police: Move to attend fewer mental health calls sparks alarm

" From September, officers will only attend mental health 999 calls where there is an "immediate threat to life". "

I've just posted this on the other thread. Maybe the Met are easing off, but not in Yorkshire ....

Pitiful waste of resources.