Yike Bike

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Have you seen the D3o beanies?

IGNITEBEANIES

It's a silicon like soft rubber that becomes rigid when subjected to impact. The ignite beanies have d3o sections built in. Was looking at these in place of a helmet for snowboarding but they sold out last year.

It's never going to give the protection of a helmet but better than nothing and looks good too...

d3o gives more details of the material used.

On the other hand these don't look too bad

Paris cover - YAKKAY - brainwear for smart people

I also like the Bern helmets CycleChic: Bern Watt Hard Hat

Or the recon helmets look ok Evans Cycles | TSG Recon Helmet | Online Bike Shop

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Thanks for these alternative helmet suggestions. We've got the d30 type for skiing as a sort of half way house to proper helmets. Fine in the winter as woolly hat substitutes, except of course that we don't, ahem, know that they work! Also, without anything to hold them on, they would be 'one bump and you're out'. But they do convert into balaclavas. Perhaps less suited to urban bike riding, though...

Will look into the other types, which look interesting - thanks again.

Sarge

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Bridgend. CF31
Thanks to Andy of the South and Zomb13e for your comments.

The YAKKAY is bound to elicit comments of "Where's your Horse?"

The Cycle Chic doesn't look too bad.

The TSG Recon Helmet I assumed was re-conditioned after being damaged but Evans Cycles doesn't say this!!

I suppose I'll still stick with my baseball cap!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Wheres your horse indeed. Every time I seem them again that is the first thing I think and then I can convince myself that they look ok.

The d3o beanies might be worth a go in the depths of winter. Plus I can justify the cost of another (expensive) beanie as I can use it while snowboarding too!

I am leaning towards the Bern helmets.