YikeBike in the Sunday Times

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wishful thinking poor man, it's completely illegal in the UK of course, as it almost certainly is throughout Europe and much of the rest of the world.

A bit like the Segway, it might find a niche on privately owned public access land like some shopping malls, and possibly also in very large factories for internal movement.

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
What has it got going for it?

On all the videos I've seen it looks pretty unstable. Its range is very poor and their own web site has a price of £2,995 (you can get two high quality pedelecs for that).

There is no provision to carry anything on it. How would that tiny rear wheel cope with even small potholes? As Flecc says, it's illegal.

The only possible advantage I can see is that it folds up very small so may suit train commuters.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Having seen it in action at the Gadget Show I'd say it's not easy to ride and unsuited for use on the streets due to the small rear wheel. It's also quite noisy in operation.

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
Just saw a small group of Yike Bikes drumming up publicity in Hyde Park. They are spectacularly noisy. Apart from that they looked OK although they didn't appear to be straightforward to balance.

TopCat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2010
Wishful thinking poor man, it's completely illegal in the UK of course, as it almost certainly is throughout Europe and much of the rest of the world.

A bit like the Segway, it might find a niche on privately owned public access land like some shopping malls, and possibly also in very large factories for internal movement.
Cant see why its illegal? It only does 15mph, which is the max speed of an EBike on UK roads.

From Timesonline.
It takes a while to get the hang of it. After a lot of wobbling and a few near-disasters, I’m zipping up and down a London back street at the top speed of 15mph, which sounds rubbish but feels quick on what is essentially a 1kW bar stool. The acceleration is nippy, too. Ryan claims the YikeBike will not need a licence for use on British roads.

I personally dont think its very practical, more of a novelty ride about like the C5 & Segway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's right, it has to have practical working pedals to rank as an e-bike. The only alternative is registering it as a motor vehicle, but it could never get the necessary type approval for that.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
On the official website they make some big claims.
Some more believable than others.
One is ' Thieves can get yiked '
It's my understanding they are implying that it's compact enough to take with you and not have to chain it to a lamp post.
But whenever has that stopped the thieving toe rags of Britain nicking your pride and joy?
Not exactly compact enough to pop in your locker at work either!
Another claim is ' I yike not paying for petrol '.
Urrmmm hello... Surely with a 1000w motor, your local insurance man is going to want a piece of the action!
Sort of negates a boast like this.
Electric brakes :eek: What happens if there's a power failure going downhill?
Last but not least and a bit petty on my behalf.
' i yike rush hour! '
I'm sorry, but nobody on this planet could possibly get home after dodging rush hour traffic and dicing with death on this machine, then claim that they enjoyed the experience.
Maybe ' i yiking need a yiking beer '
Lovely looking machine but totally and utterly flawed in this country :p

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Looks good, I want one.