Yoikoto

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
So if my lowers are rocking on the bushes is that not good? Just wondering
Not good, but typical of cheap forks. The cure is better forks, but a budget bike is too cheap to have better forks, unless rigid. After the electrics, the forks are the next most expensive bit, so hugely compromised at the low end of the market. It is a marketing plus point to have suspension forks, even when of such poor quality.

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
Not good, but typical of cheap forks. The cure is better forks, but a budget bike is too cheap to have better forks, unless rigid. After the electrics, the forks are the next most expensive bit, so hugely compromised at the low end of the market. It is a marketing plus point to have suspension forks, even when of such poor quality.
Yea I have been told rigid are better. So thinking of these.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

Leedspete

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2021
Further to this. They have agreed to replace the forks but it could be like for like so potentially the same problem could reoccur.
Can I ask for a different type of fork or money to buy my own.
Also about installing the forks Would they help pay for someone to install the new forks or is that being unreasonable.

Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Also about installing the forks Would they help pay for someone to install the new forks or is that being unreasonable.
If they offered money it would probably be an amount that the forks cost them, and not contribute very much to you buying better ones. If they happened to have other suitable (rigid?) forks to hand they might let you have those instead, but I'm afraid they probably don't.
Sadly I doubt they'd pay for installation.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Further to this. They have agreed to replace the forks but it could be like for like so potentially the same problem could reoccur.

Thanks.
There is a lubricant in a can that can be used to coat the exposed fork stanchions in effectively a thick, clear thick oil/ thin grease layer which if done from new might keep crud out, lubrication in, and improve life expectancy. I'm on the road just now, can't remember name of it, I'll post a pic when home.

Fitting if they are a modern type of head set is straightforward and a good skill to have, so I would tend to do it myself and avoid the argument.

Reactions: Andy-Mat