Yose Power Hub- need a new rim!

ad101

Just Joined
Feb 16, 2022
Dear Pedelecers!

I have a rear hub motor wheel that I bought from Yose Power ~2 and a half years ago. Been very happy with it and would fully recommend it to anyone. I've knackered the rim now though and need to rebuild it.

The stickers say it is a "HJC Centerial DA-250 26" 559x19 ALLOY 6061-T6" with 36h. Ideally I just want to know the ERD so that I can spec up a new build with a better rim but if anyone knows where I can buy the same rim again I may just go for another one to save some hassle for now (the spokes are fine...).

Any ideas much appreciated... otherwise I'll measure the ERD myself eventually and post on here in case anyone else wants it.

Thanks,

Adam

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Can't help with sourcing the same rim or the ERD.

If you are going to the effort of rebuilding the wheel, I'd probably go with a hefty touring type rim such as the Ryde Sputnik and Sapim strong spokes laced in a single cross pattern. My Shengyi rear motor hub has a flange diameter of 156mm. With a 700C wheel I tried a twin cross pattern, but the spoke entry angles were just too acute and I ended up breaking some spokes after a while (on a tandem though, so 'heavy duty' use). A solo may be OK.

I don't know the flange diameter of your motor, but with a 26" wheel, I'd certainly be tempted to go with a single cross pattern.

If you are not already aware of it, the 'Grin' site in Canada has an excellent spoke length calculator and instructional videos.

If you decide to go with something like a Sputnik, then get the rim first and measure the ERD yourself. I really rate Sputniks for strength, but the ERD can vary by several mm on the same type of rim.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Yose uses a smaller dia hub, I think 129mm or so. I used a 2x lacing for my one with 14g sapim strongs.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Hi. Using the old spokes has worked out ok for me on front wheels or where the rider in light. Rear spoke breakage can be a problem with heavy riders. Choices in rims can be limited. You left out two important bits of information that helps to select a rim. The first is do you use a disk brake or a rim brake. The second is to measure the height of the cross section of the rim. My rear yose 700 rims were around 25mm high.
If you use a disk brake and your rims are 25mm high, as i suspect, I would recommend the rim below or similar. You may be able to source from uk supplier.
When replacing the rim, just loosing all the spokes, tape the new rim to old rim with valve holes line up and change over spokes in groups of nine starting at nearest. Leave everything loose at first and finish by trueing and tightening the wheel, starting on the drive side. Cover the cable end and dont damage electric cable and connector.
The valve holes may need to be enlarged for different valve type. I recommend not using rims with eyelets as holes can be a little tight for some larger spoke nipples and this can cause the spokes to bend and fatigue/break at the nipples.

ad101

Just Joined
Feb 16, 2022
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I hadn't thought too hard about the pattern- the wheel is 2x on both sides at the moment and I will probably stick with it as I've had no troubles there.

Sturmey- a solid assumption but amazingly for 2022, I'm rocking rim brakes. I've not used Holland before but wow they have quite a range! Is it simple to get such things to the UK post- Brexit? My rim is ~25mm deep and this one caught me eye as the only with a possible chance of fitting as a straight swap....Any concerns on that one? It's quite heavy which I take as mildly reassuring.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-wheels/bicycle-rims/bicycle-rim-26-atb/contec-rim-classic-x19-26-inch-19-559-36-hole-alu-black/

Thanks again,

Adam

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Yes, that rim looks good. It has no eyelets, so this means that the spoke holes can be enlarged a little if necessary if using original ebike heavier spokes & nipples. You cant change the spoke cross pattern if using the original spokes. Unfortunately, Brexit has added difficulties, so you need to factor in additional costs etc. sjs cycles uk have a selection of rims that you can check but I dont see anything that will fit without changing the spokes. Some people here have bought rims from ali express etc but I have never used them.