Your Dream Electric Bike?

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
I was wondering, if you had an infinite budget, a platoon of engineers and all the resources in the world, what would be your dream electric bike and why?

What kind of parts (like hub motor vs. crank drive, frame etc...) you'd like. How would it handle? Would it be similar to anything available already? Could it charge your laptop and boil you a cup of tea as you cycle? :rolleyes:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Would be similar to mine, except with metal bodywork, two beam headlights, brake light, regenerative brake (though I think mine has that already), bigger seat, 2 extra batteries (there is space for that!!!), 500w rear hub motor, gears for the cycling (1 fixed gear is no fun) and the facility to connect a trailer.

Did I forget to mention extra speed?

Attachments

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I would like an optibike 850R in black with all the extras and gps added with satnav and that was an easy one.:D

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
Dream electric bike

Id like aWisper 905se made of ultra light carbon and two of these new lithium sulphur batteries weve heard about. Ill have the 200 mile, 2000ah one in case i get lost on a long run and a 1kg 500wh one for everyday use . also i want a rear drive on it with 11-28 gearing and the power of a Torq 1 and a deristrict button. It also has to be 15kgs max, so the motor will have to weigh 1kg and the tyres filled with helium! About three years away till this bike becomes available i think. Thats my ratiional dream bike. The other is developed from research at CERN using the hadron collider which can fly using antimatter antigrav technology and travel through time.
I actually prefer the first one. Ebikers are a conservative bunch.
(not a political reference.}:eek:

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
This is all DIY. And a lot of it feels do-able, it's just that it hasn't really been done yet.

Batteries
1) A Ping style, 36v15AHr duct tape battery packaged into a quick release case that mounts on the water bottle mount in any bike with a fairly wide triangle.
2) An RC style 18v5AHr and 36v5AHr battery with a built in BMS so it's as plug and play as 1) and ideally uses the same charger and the same water bottle mount quick release.
Then I can leave the short range, light weight battery on there for shopping trips and swap to the long range, heavy battery for long trips out in the country.

Controllers
1) A modified controller that is a true power-assist controller rather than a speed controller. I want a choice of 100w-250w-500w (say or maybe 50-100-250) assist rather than a 10-15-20mph switch.
2) An eBike style controller for sensorless RC motors that does the job of protecting itself and the motor at least as well as those on geared hub motors. I don't want to have to remember to treat it gently on startup just to avoid frying anything.

Motors
1) Rear hub motors with a cassette style freewheel rather than a Shimano threaded freewheel.
2) A solution to variable gearing on the motor. Ideally a chain drive that uses the rear cluster with a mid mounted motor. The motor should freewheel with absolutely minimal drag when off. Two solutions are required here. One for recumbents with a long normal chain run. And one for conventional bikes. Any solution must allow pedal only, motor only or both.
3) This probably requires a solution to 2) but a lightweight, low power motor that gives just enough hill climbing ability but doesn't hit a speed limit when assist drops to zero. I'm quite happy using a granny gear and climbing a stupid hill at 8mph but I still want some assist at 25mph when I'm rushing down a hill.
4) And RC style outrunner motor with a knurled outer case for a minimalist friction drive.

User Interface.
1) A fairly accurate fuel gauge on the battery. I don't need to see it all the time so it could be on the battery itself if I can see it just by looking down.
2) An assist interface that I don't think about at all and is inherently intuitive. Perhaps that's pedelec with the current/power switch above. Perhaps it's a Cytronex style push button on the handlebars with the same current/power switch and a cruise control.
3) A more elegant solution to brake cutouts that works on any older brake lever. Even combined Shimano brake-quickshifters.

Combine all that into several styles of bike.
1) A minimalist "fixie" style ultra lightweight bike with a friction RC motor and an almost hidden 5Ahr battery
2) A Hybrid utility/tourer that rides as close to a normal bike as possible but will take the sting out of the hills and push my average speed above 15mph. It should be able to carry a couple of Tescos bags full of groceries, beer and wine.
3) A long wheelbase Tour-Easy style recumbent that's fully faired perhaps with some of the bodywork from the new Sinclair. The goal being a bike that will average 20mph.

Then there's a couple of bikes that are not really bicycles any more.
4) Take 3) up a level. 60mph top speed. Full weather protection and streamlining. A productionised version of Cedric Lynch's streamliner.
5) A full on downhill bike turned into an ultra-lightweight enduro motorcycle. But silent.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I will settle for available technology, and a Swiss Flyer X series.......About as good as it gets in my opinion:D

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Of all the new Kalkhoff bikes, this is the one I'm considering for myself

Kalkhoff Sahel Pro S11 Electric Bike

The sports motor with an 11-speed hub integrated with that tasty Sahel Pro frame is a brilliant combination.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

The sports motor with an 11-speed hub integrated with that tasty Sahel Pro frame is a brilliant combination.
Hi Tim

Looking at the website, no weights, why is this?

The difference in price between the new PC S 10 DL and the PC S is about £600? what are the practical differences please, as they look similar to me....I am thinking the Sahel probably more comfortable but maybe heavier?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

That is a lovely looking bike and I am sure that it is built to the usual excellent Kalkhoff standard, but £3160 is a lot of money. Personally, I just don't know if it is worth it. Is it £1660 better than my standard 2008 Pro Connect, I ask myself. The 2008 PC really is an excellent reliable bike and with the 18 tooth rear sprocket, it nips along at 20 mph on the level without too much effort. I'm really struggling to see what this beautiful bike delivers for the extra outlay.

I suppose that in conclusion, my ideal bike would be the Sahel Pro S11 for about fifteen hundred pounds. That's not going to happen, so my ideal doesn't exist.