Almost down and out, but now back on two wheels.

worn out

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2024
Hi, new to Pedelecs. After 20 years of only using bicycles for transport/shopping etc and now into my 60's I recently started to really struggle physically. So in the last month I converted my old trusty Raleigh with a Yose 350W rear kit and have now found new energy to keep going the distance. Apart from a few teething problems (downtube holes too low - needed additional battery bracket, bottom bracket needs ringnut PAS, not spline as supplied) everything went really well with the conversion.

Using the bike on shared cycle paths one of the headaches which I soon encountered was the unwanted abrupt PAS surge when trying to pass pedestrians slowly (i.e. you slow down to cut motor but then you may need to keep pedaling slowly to pass people). So either I had to click PAS back to 0 or feather the brakes to stop motor. I haven't seen any info on this (but would be surprised if it hadn't already been mentioned) but I solved the problem by simply wiring in a push switch in parallel with one of the brake switches. With a small bracket I was able to fit the button between throttle and brake bracket so I have a kill switch I can easily reach with thumb, holding it down until passing people, the PAS setting then resumes immediately on release.

I had to get some 3 pin Julet paired cables from China so I didn't have to splice into existing cables. Question is, has this feature been implemented before? Perhaps ideally a combined throttle/kill switch to save more handlebar ornaments. On another bike (front wheel conversion since Sturmey-Archer rear hub) I have fitted switch from Ebay (O is off), the combined gear shift/brake meant I couldn't fit switched brake lever.

Attachments

worn out

May 5, 2024
If there was only one connector, why didn't you want to splice another one into the cable?
The Raleigh bike has both switched brake levers fitted so needed the tee cable to parallel the switch with right brake. The other bike (SA hub) only needed the 3 pin lead fitted (effectively replacing missing right brake lever cable, and plug into the otherwise unused 3 pin Julet connector on 5 in 1 cable).

(Splicing cable wasn't necessary/desired since 3 pin Julet paired cables are easily available, cost less than £2 each pair, remain waterproof, neat and no taping splice joint.)

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Down side of a speed control system , is that they surge all the time.
A nice KT current control system negates the above and the need for switches or brake cut offs.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I soon encountered was the unwanted abrupt PAS surge
I never had that problem with my Yose 250W kit. My motor starts assisting slowly and gradually when I start pedaling. There is no abrupt power surge at all.
You probably should be able to change setting somewhere in controller more to your liking.

Welcome.

worn out

May 5, 2024
The problem is I'm normally cycling along quite quickly in PAS level 2 or 3 and up ahead I see someone on the path (usually with a dog on/off lead). I stop pedaling to slow right down and pass sedately (without audible whir of a motor). But I then find I might need to pedal a bit, just enough to keep moving, until I have passed them. The only way I could guarantee not triggering the PAS kicking in (at current level 2/3 and sudden whir of motor) was to have to click level down to PAS 0, then afterwards restoring to previous level 2/3 (every *** time, sometimes every few 100 yards). The thumb button replicating the brake switch just provided a quick way of avoiding the hassle; i.e. kill power/restore power. I can do this without taking my hands off handlebar.

I did try playing with slow start up settings but it didn't help much, it's OK in PAS level 1 but any higher and it starts too strong. I have the default C500 LCD where the power levels are fixed and quite stepped so I have ordered the KD21C which allows more levels and tailoring power.

PS. Oh I just remembered, IIRC the 250W kit has a better, more efficient, sine wave controller according to yosepower.com FAQs (which provides better torque than 350W). Perhaps it may make it softer in power delivery.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I never had that problem with my Yose 250W kit. My motor starts assisting slowly and gradually when I start pedaling. There is no abrupt power surge at all.
You probably should be able to change setting somewhere in controller more to your liking.

Welcome.
Speed control is shite, though.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
As above just a crack of either brake is enough to instigate the brake-cut-off of the motor to hamper its engagement when negotiating obstacles/traffic etc. and it soon becomes second nature, but can take a bit of getting used to, if using disk brakes and a self fitted sensor/magnet, you may need to adjust to cut off without engaging brakes, but if using rim brakes the blocks will wear within a few days or so (milage dependent)

Pedal assist is not like twist and go motor control as used with mopeds etc and if used to the latter can take a bit of getting used to, it certainly took me a week or three to get used to the new paradigm of motorised 2 wheel transport..

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
After many years riding an Ezee front hub with 'shite' speed control, I am familiar with the surge. But really, I don't see the problem. A hand resting on the brake cutting the power means the hand is already in the right place in case the dog or kid does something unexpected.

Reactions: sjpt and Az.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not true. It is just a tool which one needs to learn how to use.
Having that said I agree power control is better. I think torque sensor would be much better for OP.
I did my ebike apprenticeship with speed control because that was the only choice when I started. I learned everything about it, which is why I can say with a fair bit of authority that it's shite. I can't understand why anybody would want to put up with it.

YOSEPOWER

Trade Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi, new to Pedelecs. After 20 years of only using bicycles for transport/shopping etc and now into my 60's I recently started to really struggle physically. So in the last month I converted my old trusty Raleigh with a Yose 350W rear kit and have now found new energy to keep going the distance. Apart from a few teething problems (downtube holes too low - needed additional battery bracket, bottom bracket needs ringnut PAS, not spline as supplied) everything went really well with the conversion.

Using the bike on shared cycle paths one of the headaches which I soon encountered was the unwanted abrupt PAS surge when trying to pass pedestrians slowly (i.e. you slow down to cut motor but then you may need to keep pedaling slowly to pass people). So either I had to click PAS back to 0 or feather the brakes to stop motor. I haven't seen any info on this (but would be surprised if it hadn't already been mentioned) but I solved the problem by simply wiring in a push switch in parallel with one of the brake switches. With a small bracket I was able to fit the button between throttle and brake bracket so I have a kill switch I can easily reach with thumb, holding it down until passing people, the PAS setting then resumes immediately on release.

I had to get some 3 pin Julet paired cables from China so I didn't have to splice into existing cables. Question is, has this feature been implemented before? Perhaps ideally a combined throttle/kill switch to save more handlebar ornaments. On another bike (front wheel conversion since Sturmey-Archer rear hub) I have fitted switch from Ebay (O is off), the combined gear shift/brake meant I couldn't fit switched brake lever.
Hello, it's great to meet you here. Thank you very much for your feedback. We will continue to improve the controller to ensure smoother startups. First-time users of the kit may find this issue bothersome, so it's important for users to gradually adapt and find their preferred riding mode. At the same time, I am genuinely pleased that you were able to cleverly resolve the issue on your own. Once again, thank you for your support of yosepower. We will continue to strive for product upgrades. Happy riding to you!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello, it's great to meet you here. Thank you very much for your feedback. We will continue to improve the controller to ensure smoother startups. First-time users of the kit may find this issue bothersome, so it's important for users to gradually adapt and find their preferred riding mode. At the same time, I am genuinely pleased that you were able to cleverly resolve the issue on your own. Once again, thank you for your support of yosepower. We will continue to strive for product upgrades. Happy riding to you!
Some seven or eight years ago Yose used the KT controller when I first introduced the forum to the kit , then a few years ago they took a step backward and used the horrible Lishui speed control system. The KT is a better system which uses current /torque control for power , this gives a much smoother and nicer ride and they were nice sinewave ones as well.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Why don't you go back to KT controllers, like the ones you used to supply with your kits. KT controllers have much better pedal assist function for the European markets.

• Agree

worn out

May 5, 2024
The problem only occurred for me because I wanted to remain in higher PAS levels but then had to frequently slow down to walking pace to pass pedestrians on shared paths. The switch solves that problem easily for me, it saves having to keep changing PAS level up/down. On normal cycle only paths or roads this would not be an issue.

worn out

May 5, 2024

Welcome.
I've just converted my other bike with Yose 250W front wheel kit and the power does seem smoother. The 350W rear kit PAS feel stronger when starting at levels 2/3 than the 250W motor, but then the 250W makes up for it by picking up more strongly into levels 4/5. Both are 700C wheels so I guess it may be down to characteristics of the different motors.

YOSEPOWER

Trade Member
Apr 16, 2024
Why don't you go back to KT controllers, like the ones you used to supply with your kits. KT controllers have much better pedal assist function for the European markets.
The Lishui controllers offer several advantages, particularly in terms of their compact and lightweight design. While the KT controllers provide robust functionality, we have received feedback from some customers expressing difficulties in operating them effectively. We understand that these operational challenges have led to an increase in customer inquiries and complaints.
To address these concerns and to ensure a smoother and more enjoyable riding experience for all our customers, we have opted to replace the KT controllers with Lishui controllers. The Lishui controllers offer a balance of reliability and ease of use, aligning perfectly with our commitment to delivering high-quality products that meet the diverse needs of our customer base.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Lishui controllers offer several advantages, particularly in terms of their compact and lightweight design. While the KT controllers provide robust functionality, we have received feedback from some customers expressing difficulties in operating them effectively. We understand that these operational challenges have led to an increase in customer inquiries and complaints.
To address these concerns and to ensure a smoother and more enjoyable riding experience for all our customers, we have opted to replace the KT controllers with Lishui controllers. The Lishui controllers offer a balance of reliability and ease of use, aligning perfectly with our commitment to delivering high-quality products that meet the diverse needs of our customer base.
You put it so elegantly, Lily.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I can understand what you're saying, but I have to push back on one point. The Lishui controllers do not give a smoother riding experience, and neither do they give a more enjoyable one. If I understand you right, you're saying that they're more difficult to set up for people with no or limited experience in these matters, and you get a lot of complaints and questions because of that.