eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
On my feet I wear a pair of Sealkinz socks or any that happen to be at the top of the drawer, over these in the winter I now wear a pair of four year old Shimino summer shoes that resemble cardboard more than looking like shoes, then over these a pair of superb BBB ArcticDuty Overshoes. The overshoes have been my best investment to date.

I'm afraid that I am a lycra clad cyclist, and usually in the winter wear a pair of Rose thermal bib tights. They are amazing in respect of comfort, durability and warmth.

Tonight though, I was wearing pair of Lidls cheapo long johns, with just a pair of Altura cycling shorts over.

On my top half at this time of year, I usually wear a Lidls cheapo base layer, a short sleeve cycling shirt over this, and then a fold up water proof jacket that I just take on and off.

I hate my neck being cold, so wear a Buff, which I wouldn't be without. I tend to just put it right up over my head and then put the helmet over the top.

Glove wise, to be honest I tend to wear just work gloves of some sort or another. I was wearing pair of Sealskinz gloves tonight, but I couldn't tell you which type though. Whichever that they are, I wouldn't have paid much for them. :) I will find out though for you, as they are actually very good, and that is coming from someone that rates Sealskinz products as overpriced crap.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Back in business today and what a fortune that just this day the snow came also!! So finally I get to ride some snow with my fat bike, it was really awesome, no problem at all, just so freakin' funny :) took a loong way home passing my local nature reserve.

The only problem I had was my new metal pedals whas not really good in these conditions, they became like ice balls after a while :) guess the stock plastic ones would have been better (but they didn't last long).

Riding the trail of Santa
by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

20170104_172328-Edit.jpg

20170104_165130-Edit.jpg

On my feet I wear a pair of Sealkinz socks or any that happen to be at the top of the drawer, over these in the winter I now wear a pair of four year old Shimino summer shoes that resemble cardboard more than looking like shoes, then over these a pair of superb BBB ArcticDuty Overshoes. The overshoes have been my best investment to date.

I'm afraid that I am a lycra clad cyclist, and usually in the winter wear a pair of Rose thermal bib tights. They are amazing in respect of comfort, durability and warmth.

Tonight though, I was wearing pair of Lidls cheapo long johns, with just a pair of Altura cycling shorts over.

On my top half at this time of year, I usually wear a Lidls cheapo base layer, a short sleeve cycling shirt over this, and then a fold up water proof jacket that I just take on and off.

I hate my neck being cold, so wear a Buff, which I wouldn't be without. I tend to just put it right up over my head and then put the helmet over the top.

Glove wise, to be honest I tend to wear just work gloves of some sort or another. I was wearing pair of Sealskinz gloves tonight, but I couldn't tell you which type though. Whichever that they are, I wouldn't have paid much for them. :) I will find out though for you, as they are actually very good, and that is coming from someone that rates Sealskinz products as overpriced crap.
Yeh, good old Lidl cheapo base layer eh.
You reminded me I have some overshoes somewhere, I'll have to try and dig them out.
I'll have a google for sealskin gloves. I have heard good things, but very expensive.
I'm a fan of the 'buff' too, if a 'buff' is a 'snood' type neck warmer. ;)
Keep those extremities warm out there

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
Oh how I wish we had been riding toady in the same conditions as Sambal's! We decided to do our local ride from home to Credenhill Woods. I was expecting firm ground as it had been very cold the last 2 nights. I was wrong.....]
That looks very very claggy mud..

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yeh, good old Lidl cheapo base layer eh.
You reminded me I have some overshoes somewhere, I'll have to try and dig them out.
I'll have a google for sealskin gloves. I have heard good things, but very expensive.
I'm a fan of the 'buff' too, if a 'buff' is a 'snood' type neck warmer. ;)
Keep those extremities warm out there
I was out again tonight, and yep it was bloody freezing!

I opted for two layers of Lidls long Johns and the same for my top. All was good there, but even with two pairs of socks and the overshoes, my toes were really hurting.

I also found a downside of the Sealskinz gloves. I had left them damp from the ride two nights ago, and they now smell like cats pee! I opted instead for two pairs of thin gloves instead, and my finger tips still haven't thawed out.

Hold fire on buying a pair of Sealskinz gloves, as the lad that I ride with regularly swears by these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302020127686?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=600817803928&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT or these (not sure which ones) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350921076538?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=620184657771&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I'm tempted to buy a pair myself when I know. The Ebay links are just an example not recommendation of seller. :)

Very bulky, but I'd like someone to be brave enough to buy a pair of these to try out. It isn't going to be me though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232165935882?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris, it looks like you have the 2017 mud plugging award already sorted.:D

Reactions: chris130256
I was out again tonight, and yep it was bloody freezing!

I opted for two layers of Lidls long Johns and the same for my top. All was good there, but even with two pairs of socks and the overshoes, my toes were really hurting.

I also found a downside of the Sealskinz gloves. I had left them damp from the ride two nights ago, and they now smell like cats pee! I opted instead for two pairs of thin gloves instead, and my finger tips still haven't thawed out.

Hold fire on buying a pair of Sealskinz gloves, as the lad that I ride with regularly swears by these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302020127686?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=600817803928&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT or these (not sure which ones) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350921076538?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=620184657771&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I'm tempted to buy a pair myself when I know. The Ebay links are just an example not recommendation of seller. :)

Very bulky, but I'd like someone to be brave enough to buy a pair of these to try out. It isn't going to be me though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232165935882?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Chris, it looks like you have the 2017 mud plugging award already sorted.:D

I tried riding in double layer skiing gloves once when it was really freezing, and dexterity for cycling just wasn't there. Hold a ski pole fine, but very difficult on and off the brakes, shifting etc.
I'll have a google about but the £21 ones look worth a punt. Cheers

Reactions: EddiePJ

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Oh how I wish we had been riding toady in the same conditions as Sambal's! We decided to do our local ride from home to Credenhill Woods. I was expecting firm ground as it had been very cold the last 2 nights. I was wrong.....View attachment 17144
View attachment 17145
Chris, finally those Southerners that think moist chalk dust is difficult to ride on will see what Herefordian clay is like.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
In the tries to enjoy the nice weather to the maximum I went for two serious rides today.

First on lunch with some colleagues, it was really nice to ride with someone for a change. They had pushbikes, so I had the Bosch at "Eco", but it still felt like I had the edge, so I guess next time they wanna ride I need to find my pushbike also to be fair :)

Snowbikers by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Then on the way home I did some serious trail riding, began with the entry to the forrest here, nice view this.

Jonsered winter 170106 by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

then after a while I got to a place with many options, but I took the really wrong trail at first, around a lake, it was fantastic frustrating, I was climbing/walking more than riding it felt.

Haibike - Ice bitte by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

IMG_5229-Edit.jpg

Well. After that part it was very nice, fantastic riding with good flow, mostly because of the frozen ground. Otherwise that part is VERY wet and muddy. Now you could go almost everywhere, really cool.

But... other things froze as well, it was around -15 deg celcius. My jacket's moist froze so when I got home I took of the jacket and could lean it against the wall! Haha, that's when you know it's cold.

IMG_5257.jpg

Speaking of clothing, I see you did above. I use multiple layers principle on EVERYTHING. From top to toe. But, this time of the year I use something like...
  • Two thin hats for the head (if it VERY cold (I mean, -20 or so) I use a balaklava instead of the thicker hat.
  • Thin shirt and thick sweater.
  • That jacket.
  • Longjohns and regular Adidas training pants (they are fantastic in all conditions (except heavy rain).
  • Two socks, the outer is wool.
  • Some regular Gore-Tex light hiking boots. I don't use SPD on my ebikes.
  • Glowes, various, sometimes two here also :) but now I use some Craft "Split Finger" (they where just enough today).

FrontRanger

Just Joined
Oct 31, 2016
Boulder County, CO, USA
Speaking of clothing, I see you did above. I use multiple layers principle on EVERYTHING. From top to toe. But, this time of the year I use something like...
  • Two thin hats for the head (if it VERY cold (I mean, -20 or so) I use a balaklava instead of the thicker hat.
  • Thin shirt and thick sweater.
  • That jacket.
  • Longjohns and regular Adidas training pants (they are fantastic in all conditions (except heavy rain).
  • Two socks, the outer is wool.
  • Some regular Gore-Tex light hiking boots. I don't use SPD on my ebikes.
  • Glowes, various, sometimes two here also :) but now I use some Craft "Split Finger" (they where just enough today).
That's pretty similar to what I wear for winter commuting. I've found that urban/skate-style helmets are much warmer than conventional MTB/road helmets. Nutcase offers add-on ear covers, and they make a noticeable improvement.

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2017
Bay Area, Ca
Whats up folks, I'm new to the forum and E-mtb trail riding. What an amazing experience!

Here are some pictures of my current rig:

2016 Haibike Nduro RX (Yamaha PW)

Taken earlier today in Del Valle Park in Livermore, California

Rode with a buddy in Pleasanton Ridge, Pleasanton, California

Iconic regroup spot in UC Santa Cruz! Possibly the best location for some gnarly riding in NorCal.

Pre-ride prep and tune up. Took it to an epic ride in Soquel Demo Forest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2017
Bay Area, Ca
Getting a pedelec was an awesome move! I LOVE my Nduro RX

I'm not new to trail riding, but this E-MTB experience is so awesome and mind blowing!

Uphill flow is simply amazing!

Camp Tamarancho in Fairfax, California is one of my favorite trail centers. A joy to ride on an EMTB!

The video of our ride (from a buddy's POV):

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Getting a pedelec was an awesome move! I LOVE my Nduro RX

I'm not new to trail riding, but this E-MTB experience is so awesome and mind blowing!

Uphill flow is simply amazing!

Camp Tamarancho in Fairfax, California is one of my favorite trail centers. A joy to ride on an EMTB!

Here is the video of our ride:

Awesome vid man. What great trails you have there also!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers