eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Please explain your long or medium cage ?

It is the section of the rear derailleur that holds the two jockey wheels in place.

You get short, medium and long length cages. The norm for an mtb is either medium or long, but as far as I know anything over a 42t requires a longer cage to accommodate the chain length.

Even with a 42t cassette, you might sometimes have to fit a fractionally longer 'B' screw to get adequate clearance between the cassette and chain.

SW, ten speed 11-42 all the way for me. I have too many issues with the 11 speed cassette on the HT. It constantly clogs up too quickly with mud and debris.

This is my cassette of choice, and the one on the FS just refuses to wear out. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNRACE-MX3-Cassette-10-speed-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Shimano-SRAM-compatible/351737520492?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40760&meid=624a15246e0244fbb14b0c2733266601&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=351927694769

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If you take a look at the photo that I have just posted above, you will see that the 42t doesn't get overly used, and that is even with two trips to the Alps using that cassette.

Good to know that the option is there though, but I'll pass ta. :)

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
horses for courses
It is how it came with the bike
8 speed 11/42 and coming from normal mtbs I was sceptical but it works great and the low gear is good for me I like it though it is not as low as on my Fatbike human powered bike it seems to get up the hills just fine
and I still have Tour , sport , and turbo to use when the going gets tough ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
everyone says that till i tell them the rrp for it its the 2nd best 2014 haibike you could buy bar the nduro but it had 26inc wheels then and 500 quid more i think.

new price for a wheel set xd hub and cassette was £1200 in 2014.

its about half that now in price :(

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
42t is low enough for an eMTB. A 48t on an analogue mtb possibly, but there is no need for an eMTB to have it.
I'm also not struck on having a long cage either. I already worry enough about striking my medium length cage in narrow gullies.
42t is fine if riding on your own but not if you ride with riders on normal MTB, especially at 5-7km/hr on steep climb.

I've ordered a 14t chainring and may fit 11-46t cassette in future.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It probably would have been easier just to have left the bike at home and walked, but I had an enjoyable morning poking about the new woodland and making a start on formatting some of the down hill sections and trail building.

edit.. I forgot to add that although I always carry the kitchen sink with me on my rides, I found out today that there is a another item that I should carry as well. A small vanity mirror! I had a branch whack me in the eye whilst I was clearing undergrowth, and it left a load of crap in there that I couldn't get out. So as well as the kitchen sink, I'll take the bathroom mirror along on rides now as well. :)

Still loving the army entrenching tool as well. That is one handy bit of kit. :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
did you not try one of them covers ? what are scott saying about it and a fix?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will be a problem as why there are covers in the first place there is not one bike i have seen with a exposed bearing like that.

tho you have a 5 year warranty on the frame it just seems stupid not to give you a cover for it.

a cover must cost less than replacing bearings and the lbs time replacing them as well.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
it will be a problem as why there are covers in the first place there is not one bike i have seen with a exposed bearing like that.

tho you have a 5 year warranty on the frame it just seems stupid not to give you a cover for it.

a cover must cost less than replacing bearings and the lbs time replacing them as well.
Bearings are not a warranty item.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but if it had a cover then it would not be a problem if scott will not honer the warranty bearing wise then id not have none of that tbh.

id at least try one of them covers as it does need it or will wear out fast as there is nothing stopping crud and water getting in there with out one.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
but if it had a cover then it would not be a problem if scott will not honer the warranty bearing wise then id not have none of that tbh.

id at least try one of them covers as it does need it or will wear out fast as there is nothing stopping crud and water getting in there with out one.
Oh, and they recommend the bearings are changed periodically. I am going to ask at lbs next time I go, but have other priorities right now so just can't be bothered with the bikes tbh.

Related Articles

Advertisers