Have I missed anything?

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Regarding JohnCade's post "By the time you have traveled everywhere the cost will mount up and a test ride will only tell you so much anyway"

Totally agree, I (also Lancashire) was going to go down to Woosh and Cyclesee this week, but after weighing up the train journeys and cost as I don't have a car, I couldn't have visited them both and got back home using off peak tickets in a day, so I would have needed to stay somewhere, which would mean £200 - 250 to visit them, I finally decided just to take a chance and order one instead.

The Kudos I liked though I wanted cross bar, but I'm too heavy for them, so I rang Woosh Monday afternoon, we discussed my needs and a Big Bear arrived 1/2 an hour ago, I guess its a matter of where one compromises, for me it was having a throttle for when my knee packed in (which it does every now and then, versus other bikes have things like hydraulic disc brakes which may be better for you going down a 3 mile hill, but I'm certainly no expert.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Regarding JohnCade's post "By the time you have traveled everywhere the cost will mount up and a test ride will only tell you so much anyway"

Totally agree, I (also Lancashire) was going to go down to Woosh and Cyclesee this week, but after weighing up the train journeys and cost as I don't have a car, I couldn't have visited them both and got back home using off peak tickets in a day, so I would have needed to stay somewhere, which would mean £200 - 250 to visit them, I finally decided just to take a chance and order one instead.

The Kudos I liked though I wanted cross bar, but I'm too heavy for them, so I rang Woosh Monday afternoon, we discussed my needs and a Big Bear arrived 1/2 an hour ago, I guess its a matter of where one compromises, for me it was having a throttle for when my knee packed in (which it does every now and then, versus other bikes have things like hydraulic disc brakes which may be better for you going down a 3 mile hill, but I'm certainly no expert.
Have you got it going yet? If the weather is good where you are time is a wasting.

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Just going to unpack it, but weather lousy, rain and gusty winds, there is the odd bright spell but will probably rain again before I've finished setting it up and read the instruction.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
My head has gone sorta numb with all your replies and suggestions!
KudosDave, I am 5ft 3", 63kg and hubby is 5ft 8", 76kg - that's a mixture of new and old money, sorry (I'm a baby boomer which explains the problem). I am still having problems getting my husband past a mid crank drive at the moment as he has it in mind that that is what he wants.
I have worried about coming down our 3 mile hill Andy H, (as if I haven't enough worries getting UP it!). We would have to be very careful without hydraulics.
I think at this time of year, getting a bike back to Woosh having tried it in the dry would be a problem (ask Andy H, a fellow Lancastrian). We have had a pretty dry Summer and early Autumn but boy is it making up for it now.
I'll have to sleep on it.

ajh2001

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
West Kent. TN9
How close are you to AndyH? Could you persuade him to let you have a test ride?

(Being v cheeky I know, but as my old gran used to say, if you don't ask, you don't get!!)

Reactions: Lancslass

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
How close are you to AndyH? Could you persuade him to let you have a test ride?

(Being v cheeky I know, but as my old gran used to say, if you don't ask, you don't get!!)
I tell you what, I would never presume that Andy would let me actually play with his new toy, but I wouldn't mind a look at it. I haven't even seen a woosh in the flesh!

Reactions: rsscott

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
One thing I've noticed about the Ezee Sprint is that it only has 3 gears. Isn't that a bit inhibiting when pedalling normally through the gears?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Lancslass I share your pain!!! (Pos quite literally sometimes as I have a dodgy back too!!!) Recently I was in a similar situation, once I'd decided against building my own which was an initial preference.

We are not far from ebikes direct so took a trip down there, to discover that the bike I'd narrowed it down to was too noisy, though fairly powerful and the others I tried didn't suit either. Luckily we're not too far from Southend either so we offloaded the kids and took a trip there after reading many positive comments and recommendations on here! Trying the different bikes definitely helped the decision making process.

I tried the Big bear ls and the Santana CD and was very impressed with both - way more powerful (on the flat) than any I'd tried before. It has been a difficult decision as both would definitely work for me. In the end the only things that swung it towards the Santana CD were that without the battery the bike felt more balanced back to front, for use with our bike rack, and the frame size. The Santana CD is an 18" whereas the Big Bear is 20" and felt oversized for me. I am 5'6", my usual bike is a 19" frame so I didn't expect to notice too much difference with these two bikes but I was definitely more comfortable on the slightly smaller frame of the Santana CD.

So roll on the 20th November, as the Santana CD isn't expected to be in stock until then and I'm champing at the bit to get riding again!

I hope you manage to decide soon too!
Thanks for that info. I'm only 5ft 3" so maybe BB is too big for me as well. I'd love to just have a try on one.
Good luck with your Santana CD, I envy you!

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Thanks for that info. I'm only 5ft 3" so maybe BB is too big for me as well. I'd love to just have a try on one.
Good luck with your Santana CD, I envy you!
I'm from Chorley, don't give your address out, but what hill are you near and I'll see how far it is on google, (I'm assuming your in Bolton)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
My head has gone sorta numb with all your replies and suggestions!
KudosDave, I am 5ft 3", 63kg and hubby is 5ft 8", 76kg - that's a mixture of new and old money, sorry (I'm a baby boomer which explains the problem). I am still having problems getting my husband past a mid crank drive at the moment as he has it in mind that that is what he wants.
I have worried about coming down our 3 mile hill Andy H, (as if I haven't enough worries getting UP it!). We would have to be very careful without hydraulics.
I think at this time of year, getting a bike back to Woosh having tried it in the dry would be a problem (ask Andy H, a fellow Lancastrian). We have had a pretty dry Summer and early Autumn but boy is it making up for it now.
I'll have to sleep on it.
A crank drive motor operates efficiently at approximately 2/3rds of its maximum speed. A bicycle fitted with one gives you the option of changing gears to maintain the optimum motor speed for maximum efficiency of the motor thus you will have several sweet spots. These sweet spots mean that you have to keep changing down gears when hill climbing depending on the steepness of the slope. It is even more important to observe this technique on long climbs, like you stated about your local 3 mile one, to keep the motor cool and maintain maximum range from your battery.

The hub drive motor has only one sweet spot and to maintain the required speed to operate efficiently you need a powerful pseudo 250W motor and large capacity batteries. If you operate outside this sweet spot at a higher or lower speed on long climbs the motor will get hot and the battery range will decrease.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I'm from Chorley, don't give your address out, but what hill are you near and I'll see how far it is on google, (I'm assuming your in Bolton)
Andy, we are in Egerton, a village north of Bolton. If you know it, aforementioned hill is the road between north Bolton through Darwen towards Blackburn direction (Blackburn Rd, the A666 in fact). If you have been that way, we are near the war memorial. We are about 10 miles from you!
I am serious about wanting to see the bike and equally genuine about not riding your toy. Also I'd want to give you time to set it up etc so no pressure whatsoever on you and no hard feelings at all if you decide not to bother! You've taken the chance on buying the bike unseen and hats off to you for that so just enjoy it

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If you’re 5’ 3” the BB will be too big for you. I can’t remember what model it was that trex said Hattie from Woosh rode but she is about your height I think and I remember it had a powerful motor. Maybe if you ring and tell her your height she will advise you. Or trex might see this and tell you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hatti @ Woosh is 5ft2. She rides the Petite which she got made to suit her exactly. The Petite can have either 10AH battery or a very lightweight 15AH battery, 1.2kg lighter than the Big Bear 15AH battery.

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I am serious about wanting to see the bike and equally genuine about not riding your toy. Also I'd want to give you time to set it up etc so no pressure whatsoever on you and no hard feelings at all if you decide not to bother! You've taken the chance on buying the bike unseen and hats off to you for that so just enjoy it
I used to visit Darwen regularly when working, I don't mind at all visiting and it would certainly test the bike, its about 25 mile round trip with a 900 ft climb going through Rivington and Belmont, (may need a battery top up when there), I've no idea if the bike - or me can manage that or not - could be fun finding out.

As John stated it is too big for yourself, and may be a touch big for your husband, at 26Kg its certainly on the heavy side, it's raining here now, and the met office says rain tomorrow, but supposed to be fine and dry (though chilly) on Saturday and Sunday, I can send you a message tomorrow if you wish after checking the met office haven't changed their minds.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I looked at the heavy shopper bike linked in this thread yesterday, but came away with this instead, and I really wasn't looking for another bike :rolleyes: don't tell Col :pKTM2.jpg

Lancslass can you stretch the budget by another grand to 3 grand?

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
its about 25 mile round trip with a 900 ft climb going through Rivington and Belmont said:
Like Basil Fawlty, I have difficulty in remembering fun, but I'm sure this isn't it.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Hatti @ Woosh is 5ft2. She rides the Petite which she got made to suit her exactly. The Petite can have either 10AH battery or a very lightweight 15AH battery, 1.2kg lighter than the Big Bear 15AH battery.
I must say I love the looks of the Petite. The only ebike I have ever ridden was at an agricultural show this Summer, a little Benelli bmx style jobby that a cycle hire firm in Lancashire was demoing (is there such a word?!). That may have had even smaller wheels, 20" possibly, but great fun.
The BB may well be too big for me but it may fit my hubby. The Petite has a different motor to the BB, is it powerful due to it's power/weight ratio or is it much less powerful than the BB?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Petite has 8-Fun SWXH motor on rear 24" wheel. It's about 25% less powerful than the 8-Fun BPM on 26". Because the motor on the Petite is mounted on 10% smaller wheel, the torque on the Petite is only 15% less than that of the BPM on the BB. Climbing the same hills, the Petite is about 10% - 15% slower than the BB. There is no difference for hills that are under 6% gradient, you are limited to 15mph by the LCD.