Have I missed anything?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Google maps always takes the fun route! Rivington? Now you ARE talking serious hills! Take a look at it using the Google man. I used to ride a 1200cc BMW bike and came over through Rivington many times, it's a bikers paradise, most of it in 2nd gear though!
Easier through Horwich for Andy H.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
The Petite has 8-Fun SWXH motor on rear 24" wheel. It's about 25% less powerful than the 8-Fun BPM on 26". Because the motor on the Petite is mounted on 10% smaller wheel, the torque on the Petite is only 15% less than that of the BPM on the BB. Climbing the same hills, the Petite is about 10% - 15% slower than the BB. There is no difference for hills that are under 6% gradient, you are limited to 15mph by the LCD.
Thanks Trex.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used to visit Darwen regularly when working, I don't mind at all visiting and it would certainly test the bike, its about 25 mile round trip with a 900 ft climb going through Rivington and Belmont, (may need a battery top up when there), I've no idea if the bike - or me can manage that or not - could be fun finding out.

As John stated it is too big for yourself, and may be a touch big for your husband, at 26Kg its certainly on the heavy side, it's raining here now, and the met office says rain tomorrow, but supposed to be fine and dry (though chilly) on Saturday and Sunday, I can send you a message tomorrow if you wish after checking the met office haven't changed their minds.
Andy 25 mile return no problem for the Bear, should have about 40% battery to spare.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I used to visit Darwen regularly when working, I don't mind at all visiting and it would certainly test the bike, its about 25 mile round trip with a 900 ft climb going through Rivington and Belmont, (may need a battery top up when there), I've no idea if the bike - or me can manage that or not - could be fun finding out.

As John stated it is too big for yourself, and may be a touch big for your husband, at 26Kg its certainly on the heavy side, it's raining here now, and the met office says rain tomorrow, but supposed to be fine and dry (though chilly) on Saturday and Sunday, I can send you a message tomorrow if you wish after checking the met office haven't changed their minds.
Happy either Saturday or Sunday Andy but we have transport and would happily come to you if you prefer? Rivington would be a challenge and it's a beautiful run, as you know, but Horwich would see your way to us as well, then either the Ring Rd or for more fun, Scout Rd then Belmont Rd?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
WARNING!!!!!
Andy I have just used the Woosh Clearway Predictor on the Rivington route and it's indicating a warning on part of the route with a 15% (1:3.7) on it. I know it isn't always accurate but it doesn't give the BB as an option for that route.
I know which part of the road it's referring to, it's a sharp corner at the top of the hill about 500yds beyond the Rivington Tower turn off. I used to drop into 1st gear on the Beemer bike for that corner and I'm guessing you may end up pushing the BB - wouldn't want you to be doing that if your an owd' codger like me!!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Even the Petite can do 500 yards of 15% gradient with a bit of pedalling.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
those smartas are a bit big for your height. They come with 36V 9AH battery as standard, the 15AH battery option costs £200 extra. The motor is same class as the Petite's.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
those smartas are a bit big for your height. They come with 36V 9AH battery as standard, the 15AH battery option costs £200 extra. The motor is same class as the Petite's.
Thanks Trex, is it worth my trying one out or will it need too much assist on a hill for me? The supplier has it down as a hill climber and it is only a 17" frame, which I would have thought would be OK for me.
I could drop by Juicy Bikes on the way home as well, and see this:

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle

Does that look worth a slight detour?

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
of course it does.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lancslass....I bet you are more confused then ever.
I will try to focus and stay impartial
You......your height means that you are somewhat limited in choice,the biggest market for these bikes is Holland and Germany and those ladies tend to be taller. The perfect bike for you is the Woosh Petite or Kudos Tempo ,but we have never fitted the BPM motor in these 24" wheeled bikes,however your light weight may make the SWX motor ok....it just depends upon how much effort you can provide with your legs.
Hubby....he has much more choice but if he is set about having crank drive I recommend the Bosch motored bikes,they are very well engineered,the cheaper crank drives are crude in comparison and need care when gear changing under load,expect to pay £2k for a good crank drive step thru,the KTM Macina Bold is a very nice bike but there are many alternatives.
The Bosch crank drive bikes are a delight to ride but they don't have the hill climbing ability of a BPM hub drive and are usually £500 more.
But you must try a bike before you buy,it's not much fun pushing a 25 kilo bike up a steep hill just because you have bought an unsuitable bike.
You need to find a local dealer who has a good choice of bikes or travel down to London and find a dealer who has a choice of the bikes suitable.
Hope that helps
KudosDave

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you summed it up very well, KD. I agree there is no point fitting the BPM to a 24" wheel. If there is a need for more power, then the SWX02 or your SWX08 would be more than enough.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
My wife who is five foot two recently tried a Raleigh Motus step through and I was quite surprised that she felt really comfortable with it. Don't know what size frame but I had ridden the same one without any problems. So it may be worth a look . I thought it was a very nice bike
BTW that was at Juicybikes at Whaley Bridge so if you call there may be an opportunity to try it.
Gray

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
SWMBO who is about that height rides a 28" Decathlon step through bike which in theory is too big for her but she says she doesn't feel as comfortable on a smaller frame. She is a very strong pedaller.

Reactions: RoRo

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks Trex, is it worth my trying one out or will it need too much assist on a hill for me? The supplier has it down as a hill climber and it is only a 17" frame, which I would have thought would be OK for me.
I could drop by Juicy Bikes on the way home as well, and see this:

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle

Does that look worth a slight detour?
You'd be very welcome to come and try. We also have some steep hills to hand with some mid-drive Raleighs to compare.
We also have our 2016 bikes just in...

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Lancslass....I bet you are more confused then ever.
I will try to focus and stay impartial
You......your height means that you are somewhat limited in choice,the biggest market for these bikes is Holland and Germany and those ladies tend to be taller. The perfect bike for you is the Woosh Petite or Kudos Tempo ,but we have never fitted the BPM motor in these 24" wheeled bikes,however your light weight may make the SWX motor ok....it just depends upon how much effort you can provide with your legs.
Hubby....he has much more choice but if he is set about having crank drive I recommend the Bosch motored bikes,they are very well engineered,the cheaper crank drives are crude in comparison and need care when gear changing under load,expect to pay £2k for a good crank drive step thru,the KTM Macina Bold is a very nice bike but there are many alternatives.
The Bosch crank drive bikes are a delight to ride but they don't have the hill climbing ability of a BPM hub drive and are usually £500 more.
But you must try a bike before you buy,it's not much fun pushing a 25 kilo bike up a steep hill just because you have bought an unsuitable bike.
You need to find a local dealer who has a good choice of bikes or travel down to London and find a dealer who has a choice of the bikes suitable.
Hope that helps
KudosDave
Thanks for being impartial Dave, I'm sure that can't be easy as a retailer. I am planning to visit an ebike retailer in York in early December, they have the Smarta bikes but there are very few steep hills in York. I am also stopping off at Juicy Bikes in Stockport sometimes soon, they are fairly near us and it looks like they have some hills for me. I would also like to try the Ezee at Milton Keynes and can get there and back by car in a day OK. In the next couple of days I am going to visit Bolton Electric Bikes, they sell a step through as well and he will have local knowledge of course.
I'd love to visit Woosh but it's a long way, as are you of course, but I do appreciate your offer of a try out for £27 and may take advantage of it if the other bikes don't suit.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
You'd be very welcome to come and try. We also have some steep hills to hand with some mid-drive Raleighs to compare.
We also have our 2016 bikes just in...
Thinking of calling by in next couple of weeks, thanks. Great that you have some hills!

Reactions: JuicyBike