Raleigh are increasing prices by 10% as from August 1.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Have just read on the Bike Europe site that Raleigh are increasing prices by 10% as a result of the currency depreciation due to Brexit,effective August 1. Most bike parts are priced in dollars so that was inevitable.
Don't know whether that includes Haibike,part of the Raleigh group.
It is inevitable that all the European Bike manufacturers will follow suit.
If you are intending to buy a Haibike or Raleigh Motus may be a good time to buy.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, it was a certainty, and it's something that will happen in many areas. There will be some groans from those shopping in supermarkets as food prices rise too.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have heard it includes Haibike,

I was told yesterday that Tandem Group have also announced 10%. It seems 10% will be the norm throughout our industry.

White goods, computers, phones, food, wine and fuel will probably go the same way very shortly. In effect all wages and pensions have just been significantly devalued. But at least we have our boarders back? That's unless of course we want to trade freely with Europe???!!!

We are holding back our increase for another month, just in case we see a significant recovery in the GB£. We currently plan to add £100 to all bikes across our Wisper range on 1st September. Until then we will be taking the loss ourselves.

David

• Dislike
Reactions: Yamdude

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have heard it includes Haibike,

I was told yesterday that Tandem Group have also announced 10%. It seems 10% will be the norm throughout our industry.

White goods, computers, phones, food, wine and fuel will probably go the same way very shortly. In effect all wages and pensions have just been significantly devalued. But at least we have our boarders back? That's unless of course we want to trade freely with Europe???!!!

We are holding back our increase for another month, just in case we see a significant recovery in the GB£. We currently plan to add £100 to all bikes across our Wisper range on 1st September. Until then we will be taking the loss ourselves.

David
Hammond and Fox want a free trade deal with China but May says that she wants to keep the EU Passport,giving us free trade with the EU,but the EU have already told her that to keep the Passport the UK must observe all EU trade deals with non EU countries.
So we are back to square one,hehe......
Lenovo,Siemens,Shimano,Haibike are all minimum 10% increase,it does seem that if we want Brexit then the penalty for all is 10% price rises,Boris didnt shout about that.
Forget wage rises....workplace pensions,minimum wage and the price rises of product have pretty much flatlined wages for the next few years.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hammond and Fox want a free trade deal with China but May says that she wants to keep the EU Passport,giving us free trade with the EU,but the EU have already told her that to keep the Passport the UK must observe all EU trade deals with non EU countries.
So we are back to square one,hehe......
KudosDave
It was always going to be thus.

Effectively we will never actually leave, we will have to continue to pay to participate and follow laws and rules set in Brussels.

At least we won't need to worry about our MEPs being paid too much.... we won't have any at the table!

David :confused:

• Disagree
Reactions: Yamdude and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Am I allowed to say this?
Is it commiting high treason?
But could we just admit we made a mistake and forget the whole Brexit experiment....virtually everything we were promised by Gove and Boris was lies and nobody really understood the downsides until after the vote.
The referendum was only advisory and the vote was very close,how about putting the vote to parliament.
Bring back Osborne he was the master of U turns.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Am I allowed to say this?
Is it commiting high treason?
But could we just admit we made a mistake and forget the whole Brexit experiment....virtually everything we were promised by Gove and Boris was lies and nobody really understood the downsides until after the vote.
The referendum was only advisory and the vote was very close,how about putting the vote to parliament.
Bring back Osborne he was the master of U turns.
KudosDave
TREASON! TREASON! Off with his head!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But could we just admit we made a mistake and forget the whole Brexit experiment...
I'm increasingly of the opinion that this is what will happen anyway.

Yesterday's decision to spend a third of a billion pounds on expanding London City Airport will facilitate a big expansion of the regular business flights between the City and EU commercial centres. Spending that much at a time like this hardly indicates less future involvement with the EU, quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Strange how Halfords can do a 20% reduction sale on their CrossfireE not long after the Brexit vote..... I'm sure they're still making a good profit, even with that reduction.
And the thing with Halfords, is that even when the prices go back up, you only have to wait a couple of months and their reduction sales are back on again.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I tell you what i think..... I believe Ebike dealers make a big mark up on the Ebikes they sell, they want this big mark up because their Ebikes dont sell in large numbers. But since the fall of the pound in Brexit, they dont want to incur any of this cost themselves, the ones that have raised prices want to pass ALL of the costs onto their customers. Not only that but i believe they have added a bit extra for themselves. Thus even more profit than they had before Brexit.
Of course, if the doom and gloom mongers on the Brexit thread are correct and we do all end up being worse off..... then those dealers that have raised prices are going to lose even more sales than they would have already.

I expect all the dealers on here are going to dispute my beliefs on this....... but then they would, wouldn't they !

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I tell you what i think..... I believe Ebike dealers make a big mark up on the Ebikes they sell, they want this big mark up because their Ebikes dont sell in large numbers. But since the fall of the pound in Brexit, they dont want to incur any of this cost themselves, the ones that have raised prices want to pass ALL of the costs onto their customers. Not only that but i believe they have added a bit extra for themselves. Thus even more profit than they had before Brexit.
Of course, if the doom and gloom mongers on the Brexit thread are correct and we do all end up being worse off..... then those dealers that have raised prices are going to lose even more sales than they would have already.

I expect all the dealers on here are going to dispute my beliefs on this....... but then they would, wouldn't they !
And then there is the real word.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Oh dear...... someones not happy.... a disagree right back at ya.
But that's the thing about the truth...... it often hurts those that would like to bury that truth.

• Disagree
But that's the thing about the truth...... it often hurts those that would like to bury that truth.
Have you got any experience or facts, or evidence to back up your theory?

Because it's total nonsense.

If you want, I'll send our 2016 and 2017 prices with the trade prices to Pedelec's so Helen or Russ can see them, and they can show you that within the bike industry eBIkes are some of the lowest margin items dealers can sell in a cycle shop.

You'll find this backed up by the fact that most eBike shops, or brands in the UK need another business to sustain things. Hardly anyone in the UK is running a business that is only supported by eBikes.

Your theory is also going to be blown out of the water as over the next 3-6 months everything thats imported from Europe, or outside the EU is going to go up, its not just eBikes. Its just that the small industries are the first ones to be effected because they don't have the resources to forward order currency or the margins in place to absorb it in the short term.

As I've said this is all provable.... You won't be able to prove your side because as I and others have and will say, its total nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's not a dislike Yamdude, it's a disagree.

Col is absolutely correct, Ebike distributors make very low margins, none of us will be able to absorb such a huge devaluation of the GB£. I would suggest that in most cases any small profits made by distributors will be turned into losses. We are one of those businesses that survives on selling Ebikes alone, as Col has said it's tough, even selling hundreds of bikes a month barely turns a profit. Most of us do it because we really love the concept of cheap pollution free transportation, and want to make it available to everyone.

Believe me, if I could make a commercial advantage for my business by leaving prices where they are I would do.

Further to Col's offer, I too would make financial details available to Helen and Russ if you still think I am not being truthful.

The harsh truth is if you want electric bike distributors to carry on manufacturing, importing, publicising, lobbying, servicing etc. You will simply have to pay more. It's simply incorrect to blame EBike distributors for the current round of price increases, it's all down to the huge devaluation of the GB£ after Brexit. Nothing more.

And you are right, I am not happy to be forced into increasing prices.

David

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh will put up their prices on the 1st of August too. £35 to £45 per bike, roughly 5%. I think Woosh may have to put up their prices again next March if the Pound drops below $1.32.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV