Shimano Steps W012 warning message

Nutz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2016
Edinburgh
Hi folks!
I recently got a new e-bike with the Shimano Steps system and I love it!
I have a technical question - maybe someone has seen this before?
I've had the bike about 3 weeks, and done about 120 miles so far.
On a few occasions, maybe 3 or 4, I get a beep and W012 shows up on the display.
unnamed.jpg

Each time this has been when I've been pushing hard uphill.
It doesn't seem to affect the bike at all, but I'm concerned about the warning.
There's no reference to this in the user manual, but I found the Dealer's manual online, and it says:

W012 The crank may be installed in the wrong direction. -
Re-install the crank in the specified direction, then turn the power back on.

Does this make sense? I would have thought if the crank was installed in the wrong direction this would be pretty obvious wouldn't it?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Makes little sense to me.

There may be something lost in translation, but to me the crank is the bit the pedals screw into.

Hard to see how one or both could be installed in the 'wrong direction', and even if the cranks weren't installed properly, there's no electrical connection to the motor. so how would the system know about it?

My best guess is a software glitch which is probably harmless.

If you've not done so, it might be worth removing the battery/display and waiting a few minutes for any charge to dissipate.

Also worth trying is the 'factory reset' option if there is one.

That may clear all the settings - apart from the odometer - enabling you to start again.

I see you have 'auto' on the display - do you have clever automatic gears?

If so, try using the bike on basic manual shifting setting.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Nutz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2016
Edinburgh
No, it doesn't make much sense to me either. It's happened in both manual and automatic modes so I don't think that's a factor.

It's always when I'm pushing hard uphill - does the shimano system have a torque sensor? Is it possible to install the left and right cranks the wrong way round?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's always when I'm pushing hard uphill - does the shimano system have a torque sensor? Is it possible to install the left and right cranks the wrong way round?
I don't know the system but am certain it will be torque sensored like all other similar crank units that I know well.

This message:

"W012 The crank may be installed in the wrong direction. -
Re-install the crank in the specified direction, then turn the power back on."

could be referring to the torque sensing unit which is on the pedal shaft inside the unit. It seems unlikely that it's been installed the wrong way round in manufacture. What could be happening is that under very high pedal input torque there is a slight shift in the start of the timing of the signal which determines the motor power applied. The software might see that as similar to what would happen if the torque sensor was reversed in assembly.

If in fact it was reversed I'd think it likely that you'd get the WO12 warning all or much of the time. The fact that the warning only says "may be" indicates there are other known reasons for the warning, such as my possibility above.

Last edited:

Vance Payne

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Canada
I don't know the system but am certain it will be torque sensored like all other similar crank units that I know well.

This message:

"W012 The crank may be installed in the wrong direction. -
Re-install the crank in the specified direction, then turn the power back on."

could be referring to the torque sensing unit which is on the pedal shaft inside the unit. It seems unlikely that it's been installed the wrong way round in manufacture. What could be happening is that under very high pedal input torque there is a slight shift in the start of the timing of the signal which determines the motor power applied. The software might see that as similar to what would happen if the torque sensor was reversed in assembly.

If in fact it was reversed I'd think it likely that you'd get the WO12 warning all or much of the time. The fact that the warning only says "may be" indicates there are other known reasons for the warning, such as my possibility above.
1. Remove the bolt cover and unscrew the crank bolt on the non drive side.

2. look into the hole and you'll see the crank spindle end do not remove the crank arm

3. look for a dot on the end of the spindle. The dot should line up with the crank arm and point towards the pedal.

4. remove the crank arm and align it to the dot.

5. remove the drive side arm and orient it to the proper position

6. power down, then power up the system

7. test ride the bike, this error message should no longer appear.

8. ride to the coffee shop and order a double espresso, long with three sugars.

9. Sip the bitter sweet nectar of life!

now you know how it feels to follow directions and do something for yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: Nutz and LeighPing