Wisper eMTB sneak preview

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The Brose was very nice indeed, quiet and smooth, we preferred it to Bosch, but were a little worried about back up. We were going to use the Brose motor in the Lotus Wisper five years ago, but they were very flaky then and that really put us off for our new models.

Lotus Black.png

We also felt Shimano were more in touch with the needs and wants of Cyclists in general.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Are you going to actually fit the right length of dropper post, or the wrong length as shown?

I fail to see how any opinions can be put forward in respect of the bike, until detailed geometry specification has been shown, along with full component spec and frame sizes. Other than pointing out the obvious incorrect dropper post length, I shall save my comments in relation to the bike, for when it becomes a marketable product.
Hi Eddie, to continue, this is a sneak preview for those interested here on Pedelecs. It's not a sales brochure or sales pitch, I'm simply interested in the views of those on the Forum. I have already had good and very interesting feedback so for me it's been well worth while. I hope others here enjoy being a part of the development process.

If you don't want to look now and would like to know when the full and final specs are available to the general public, please send me a PM and I will put you on the list.

Thanks for your input.

All the best, David :)

Last edited:

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
We are gradually nailing down the specs and the prices inc VAT will be in the region of...

This is with drop seat posts etc, however we are considering price/price points at the moment.

Wisper Wolf Hard Tail Alloy, £2,600
Wisper Wildcat Full Sus Alloy, £3,600
Wisper Wolf Hard Tail Carbon £4,400
Wisper Wildcat Full Sus Carbon £5,200

All the best, David
Any pics of the Aluminium Wildcat?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
David

As I see it 2018 models will pitch you against the Bosche Powertube which gives a lovely intergrated look. Can you not intergrated the battery more to compete against that? Otherwise you may be a step behind on "looks".
I'm sure you've seen the 2018 Haibike and KTM intergrated offerings. I do see you now moving up a class into that range.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
David

As I see it 2018 models will pitch you against the Bosche Powertube which gives a lovely intergrated look. Can you not intergrated the battery more to compete against that? Otherwise you may be a step behind on "looks".
I'm sure you've seen the 2018 Haibike and KTM intergrated offerings. I do see you now moving up a class into that range.
The 2018 R&M offerings also have the intergrated Powertube

AndrewJ

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2013
The Brose was very nice indeed, quiet and smooth, we preferred it to Bosch, but were a little worried about back up. We were going to use the Brose motor in the Lotus Wisper five years ago, but they were very flaky then and that really put us off for our new models.

View attachment 20610

We also felt Shimano were more in touch with the needs and wants of Cyclists in general.

All the best, David
Thanks David.

The reason for the drive for quietness is due to looking for an e-system to add to an enclosed (faired) recumbent where sound is amplified, and the Brose looks nearest to it. The only other option is finding someone to custom build a system. I currently have a TSDZ2 motor which isn't too bad, but still noisier than I would like.

Best,

Andrew

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David

Hi Crockers, we do like the look of the bikes you mention, however after speaking to eMTB users we discovered that many want to take two batteries for the day, so the simplicity of changing batteries was an issue. The Shimano integrated 378Wh battery isn't going to last a serious eMTBer for even a couple of hours and the piggyback battery is expensive and a little cumbersome adding a lot of weight to the bike.
We would also rather wait to see if there are any problems with the internal battery systems before adopting them. It was a tough one but in the end we decided to stick with what's tried and tested for now. Maybe next year?

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

All the best

David

Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David.

The reason for the drive for quietness is due to looking for an e-system to add to an enclosed (faired) recumbent where sound is amplified, and the Brose looks nearest to it. The only other option is finding someone to custom build a system. I currently have a TSDZ2 motor which isn't too bad, but still noisier than I would like.

Best,

Andrew
Hi Andrew, unfortunately I can help much with the Brose, but would be happy to sort out an E8000 set for you.

All the best, David

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
David

Personally I'm not that keen on the fully integrated battery design that you are talking about.

I don't relish the prospect of having to remove a potentially wet and muddy battery housing, or even battery in wet muddy UK conditions, and then there is the prospect of having to store an even longer battery into the Camelbak for rides that require two batteries.

For me the practicalities of semi integrated battery such as on the above bikes and on the 2017 KTM range, that load from behind the downtube rather than in front where it could be vulnerable, outweigh the potentially better appearance of a fully integrated design. In reality an eMTB will always look like an eMTB, so unless weight distribution is a deciding factor in the design, I'm in not in a great hurry to change to a fully integrated design.

edit.. I should add that I haven't tried the fully integrated design, so my opinion is based upon photo observation only, and perhaps the reality of such a system could be different. In the case of the Levo though, my observations are very much correct.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now if Wisper would only design an attractive trekking, city or road bike... :rolleyes: We know you can do it but you keep telling us the market wants ugly and heavy! Remember there is a new generation of old people on the way, ones that grew up with Habitat and IKEA and half decent industrial design but who don't all have the means to buy a gocycle :)

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Now if Wisper would only design an attractive trekking, city or road bike... :rolleyes: We know you can do it but you keep telling us the market wants ugly and heavy! Remember there is a new generation of old people on the way, ones that grew up with Habitat and IKEA and half decent industrial design but who don't all have the means to buy a gocycle :)
Totally agree, I would have considered the Wisper 905 torque if it was more attractive to the eye, the Oxygen I bought had the semi integrated battery within the frame and decent parts, how it looked also played a big part in my final decision, some people don't care about the looks but it helps sell a product to many people if you can stand out from the crowd.

Less powerful battery plus good looks wouldn't sell a bike to me, the same battery as I have or more powerful battery with a good looking bike sells and is appealing to me, battery integration within the frame so an e-bike starts to look more like a normal bike will only help sell more e-bikes, at least as far as road or city bikes go, I don't have experience of off road mountain biking and the safety aspects that might hinder in frame e-bikes.

The Wisper Lotus e-bike at the top of the page looks fabulous, probably well above my budget and what I can afford but nevertheless it looks amazing, I'd love to go cycling with that bike or test it for a day.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kiwi,

Being Ugly and Heavy Myself, my bikes may be a reflection! :D

Although the Wisper Torque bikes are doing really well this year, we are currently working on a new range for 2018/9, maybe some surprises there. The SE bikes tend to sell out before they arrive, the Folding bikes and the coloured 705 Step Throughs in particular are doing so well I would be crazy to stop producing them.

We have 3 x 40' hi top containers arriving in August and the last one is full of folders in black red and blue, 71 are pre-sold.

They may not be the prettiest of bikes but they ride extremely well.

What would you do to pretty them up a bit?

All the best, David

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Just my two Pennorth. I'm seeing these integrated emtb that are coming though. Tubes always look strange. Maybe it's just because my eyes have got used to semi integrated. But I prefer the semi integrated. I hadn't even thought of practicalities. I won't be back in the market for years anyway. So I guess I'm irrelevant

• Agree

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
What would you do to pretty them up a bit?

All the best, David[/QUOTE]

Hi David. There's obviously a good market for your Wisper Torque but for me it looks a bit old fashioned and I'd much prefer the battery mounted in the frame triangle.

The motor, being very quiet, and with both torque and cadence sensors is a big plus point and receives high praise from the very knowledgeable D8veh.

The Wisper motor mounted to a frame/battery set up along the lines of the Woosh Rio would do it for me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The motor, being very quiet, and with both torque and cadence sensors is a big plus point and receives high praise from the very knowledgeable D8veh.
The Bafang SWX02 motor on the Rio is equally quiet.
You don't hear much noise on any modern e-bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Damian.Doherty