BBS01b on my new 29er

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi I've spent a nice hot day converting my new 29er to mid drive.. After stripping everything from my lovely old 26" Carrera Kraken..I've got to admit I've been well impressed with my bbs01b setup and on the the old bike it worked really well. But it was only gona be a short lived thing before I wanted a newer ride.swapping the bits wasn't to much trouble until I got to the bottom bracket the motor would not fit through the hole so out came the Dremel ..well after about half an hour it was going through..I've taken some metal from the drive side of the bottom bracket so the motor fits tighter to the frame..seems to have worked well..done away with the shifter and derailier. Got to try and save some weight..been out for a quick ride tonight and all seems well . I have not fitted the gear shift sensor this time and have found that I need to remember to flick that brake lever before changing..but I think in time I will either like it or put the sensor back on..As for settings I haven't touched anything it still thinks it's a 26" at the moment..

Reactions: lyme and jarob10

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
image.jpeg I can honestly say that I was not expecting such a big difference from my 26" wheeled bike to this 29er.. On the flat I'm cruising at 24 mph where before I was about 20 mph..the handling is very smooth I've chopped the bars down by 40mm so I can fit through the width restriction + this also stops my arms aching..yer just that little amount wider was making me hurt.. Rolling the thing seems to go on forever..and for some reason with the power off I can cycle along without too much effort..the Hydraulic brakes make a big difference and I think I'm getting there without the gear sensor no bad shifting..luckily the chain alignment was spot on so no grating or chain slinging..lol due to me spending a bit more time fitting the motor this time round and getting that drive side as close to the frame as possible with a little fileing and Dremel work.lol. Maybe it's time to up the amps again to 18 and alter that keep current to 80 or 90%.. Finally I would recommend a 29er to anyone considering there first build. Even coupled together with the bbs01b 250w it's a good ride..

carracer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
View attachment 26020 View attachment 26021 Hi I've spent a nice hot day converting my new 29er to mid drive.. After stripping everything from my lovely old 26" Carrera Kraken..I've got to admit I've been well impressed with my bbs01b setup and on the the old bike it worked really well. But it was only gona be a short lived thing before I wanted a newer ride.swapping the bits wasn't to much trouble until I got to the bottom bracket the motor would not fit through the hole so out came the Dremel ..well after about half an hour it was going through..I've taken some metal from the drive side of the bottom bracket so the motor fits tighter to the frame..seems to have worked well..done away with the shifter and derailier. Got to try and save some weight..been out for a quick ride tonight and all seems well . I have not fitted the gear shift sensor this time and have found that I need to remember to flick that brake lever before changing..but I think in time I will either like it or put the sensor back on..As for settings I haven't touched anything it still thinks it's a 26" at the moment..

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
View attachment 26023 I can honestly say that I was not expecting such a big difference from my 26" wheeled bike to this 29er.. On the flat I'm cruising at 24 mph where before I was about 20 mph..the handling is very smooth I've chopped the bars down by 40mm so I can fit through the width restriction + this also stops my arms aching..yer just that little amount wider was making me hurt.. Rolling the thing seems to go on forever..and for some reason with the power off I can cycle along without too much effort..the Hydraulic brakes make a big difference and I think I'm getting there without the gear sensor no bad shifting..luckily the chain alignment was spot on so no grating or chain slinging..lol due to me spending a bit more time fitting the motor this time round and getting that drive side as close to the frame as possible with a little fileing and Dremel work.lol. Maybe it's time to up the amps again to 18 and alter that keep current to 80 or 90%.. Finally I would recommend a 29er to anyone considering there first build. Even coupled together with the bbs01b 250w it's a good ride..

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
I've just bought the same and there was no fitting instructions or wiring diagram. Where can I get a copy.?

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
I've just bought the same and there was no fitting instructions or wiring diagram. Where can I get a copy.?
Hi yes mine was the same..plenty of info on here and plenty of you tube builds as well..the whole thing is very simple wireing is plug and play . Plugs will only fit one way just be careful and align the arrows on the plugs..don't want to bend any pins..have you striped the crank from the bottom bracket on your bike yet.+ what type of brakes are you running..?hydraulic or cable.
Plenty of help on here just post it up if you have a problem.normally someone will have an answer...

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
Hi yes mine was the same..plenty of info on here and plenty of you tube builds as well..the whole thing is very simple wireing is plug and play . Plugs will only fit one way just be careful and align the arrows on the plugs..don't want to bend any pins..have you striped the crank from the bottom bracket on your bike yet.+ what type of brakes are you running..?hydraulic or cable.
Plenty of help on here just post it up if you have a problem.normally someone will have an answer...

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
I'm not using the hydraulic brakes or the throttle. Have not got a battery yet have connected all the wires including the wheel sensor and the main cable there is a black and red which is the battery ?. There is a short cable with a yellow male connector ? and two spade connectors which I think is for a light which is in the kit can you help

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
I'm not using the hydraulic brakes or the throttle. Have not got a battery yet have connected all the wires including the wheel sensor and the main cable there is a black and red which is the battery ?. There is a short cable with a yellow male connector ? and two spade connectors which I think is for a light which is in the kit can you help
Hi yes your right these are the lighting wires. I've not used them so if you don't want them just roll them up and insulate the ends. Mine sit undderneath the motor out of the way. Cable ties are best for this.. I purchased my motor and battery together from aliexpress bbs01b motor 250W and 36v 15 AH Battery £525.00 fitted it to my old trusty Carrera Kraken 26" wheel as I wasn't too sure if it was for me..How wrong I was.. I did buy the optional gear sensor but you can live without it . Also you might like to get the programming lead very useful..as I found my keep current was set to only20%..very low it needs raising for any real performance.

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Nice build!
So changing wheel size has increased your top speed?
Hi Pmc1
Yes I've found the 29er tobe a real performer..it seems strange that a few inches can make all the difference..lol even the wife agrees lol..
But seriously if your going to build from scratch and want a comfy ride get a 29er..but do spend some time measuring for your correct frame size this also makes a big difference. Nothing worse than a frame that's not right..hence the reason I built my first bike around something I already used and was comfortable with. Also check the frame triangle for battery fitment as some bikes are very small..makes it hard to install the battery. My first build was this..now for sale minus the battery and motor still has the brake levers and gear sensor fitted and can except a battery as its already got the extra rivnuts fitted..image.jpeg

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Now you just have to try the big apple tyres and seat post to get the full armchair effect;) I am still working on my rebuild hopefully will finish it tomorrow

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Now you just have to try the big apple tyres and seat post to get the full armchair effect;) I am still working on my rebuild hopefully will finish it tomorrow
I'm very happy with the ride. Very comfy and super smooth..rolls on forever.it did seem a bit quicker programmed at 26" as apposed to 29" so I might put it back..but as you know it's all expirimental..

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Once you get up to speed the extra inch's make all the difference the motor power evens out the delay in the take up, the pot holes also seem smaller , if you leave the wheel set to 26 the speedo is out but I agree it seems faster but the gps says it is not:confused:

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
The short yellow male connector what dose that plug into ?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The short lead from the bottom of the motor is for the optional gear change sensor can I suggest you visit the Luna cycles web site they have some very helpful how to videos

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
The short lead from the bottom of the motor is for the optional gear change sensor can I suggest you visit the Luna cycles web site they have some very helpful how to videos
Thanks. When you bought yours did you after to pay import and VAT duty